Pittsburgh

Stakie

Reaction score
In two weeks I will be there visiting my cousin and going to a convention. Anything I should go see while I am there?

Depends on what you like. What are you into?

Off the top of my head there's the big view from the top of Mount Washington. Drive up P.J McArdle Blvd and make a left on Grandview. You can even ride the incline down the side of Mount Washington for the price of a bus fare.

Phipps conservatory in Oakland if you like plants. You're walking through a labyrinth of greenhouses with some amazing and beautiful stuff all around you.

Henry Clay Frick's old mansion has tours. They cost money, but you can go see his collection of really really really old cars (Model T, earlier, later) for free. And there's an art museum for free too (well there's a donation box but that's your call). And adjacent to that whole area is Frick park with some great mountain biking trails if you're into that.

Spring rolls at Tram's Kitchen are to die for. 4050 Penn Ave. Old Vietnamese man with one arm and really broken English comes out and yells at you for not ordering yet, and then brings you this obscenely good food. At least last time I was there. Hope he's still doing that.

Andy Warhol museum is on the North Side, Carnegie Museum of Art and Natural History (dinosaurs) is in Oakland, walking distance from Phipps.

um um um I know there's more. Aviary on the north side if you like birds. Well, that's where it is even if you don't;)

Don't forget the Carnegie science center if got kids. FYI there was old WWII submarine next to it in the river.

Yes, they got two incline planes on the cliff, nuthing change about bus fare, LOL.
LOTS of changes since I moved out of that city (1992).

Too bad most steel mills is gone :( I still remember them in early 70's

Don't forget the Carnegie science center if got kids. FYI there was old WWII submarine next to it in the river.

Yes, they got two incline planes on the cliff, nuthing change about bus fare, LOL.
LOTS of changes since I moved out of that city (1992).

Too bad most steel mills is gone :( I still remember them in early 70's

Oh yeah, my brother and I got a tour of that sub. amazing.

I used to live in Mt Washington and work downtown. bought a monthly bus pass and rode the incline every day.

Yeah, the mills were something to see. Glad I wasn't around in their heyday though. They say you could clean your windows and one day later you couldn't see through them.

This is true, many building used to have tons of soot on them. There are remaining steel mill in Braddock, not sure if they already tear down or leave as landmark.

Yeah, the mills were something to see. Glad I wasn't around in their heyday though. They say you could clean your windows and one day later you couldn't see through them.

I will be in downtown. I know that, and of course I forgot to mention everything would need to be wheelchair accessible.

I've been wanting to go to the submarine for awhile now!

How much time will you have for visiting your cousin? Or does the convention take up most of your time?

Most of the 4th I will have for going site seeing. I will be here until the 7th, but yeah, the convention takes up most of my time.

And your new convention furiends will be taking up the rest of your time. R you driving or Flyin?

And your new convention furiends will be taking up the rest of your time. R you driving or Flyin?

Driving, I live about 4 hours east of the convention. ;)

And it looks like it! Haha, as long as you don't mind my oblivious hearing mate. LOL

Oh since you mention that, check the status of squirrel Hill tunnel. Heard they closed it, STUPID! Beginning of this month and I don't know how long it will last.

Was in Pgh few weeks ago, and glad I don't miss Pgh at all. Their road SUCKS! Construction EVERYWHERE! Man Rt 28 is disastrous road... Very narrow!

But I notice major improvement on West End circle... Well at least it WAS a circle not anymore. I grew up near that area.

I have not been in downtown, just mostly on North Side and in Beaver county

Edit: Just add note, I finally decided to check virtual tour using Google map, plenty of changes already! I have seen many that's gone already but only exist in my memory. Also, forgot to mention during late 50's I think, they build a tunnel with intention using for Monorail, they abandoned after done bore the tunnel. Left it for years, finally restart them and using busway, interesting. I am not sure if that building across the "Pink Elephant" (used to be Jenkin's Arcade) still put the corner X mas tree. That is the spot where I hop or get off bus from my home.

Driving, I live about 4 hours east of the convention. ;)

And it looks like it! Haha, as long as you don't mind my oblivious hearing mate. LOL

Last edited:
Zoo, Strip district, trolley to top of city (forgot the name), kennywood amusement park.
There is also a bike trail that goes all the way to DC for serious bikers.

Well, what are some of your basic interests? I've given a lot of tours of Pittsburgh - I'd love to give you some ideas.

But I can give you anywhere from "Here's where Batman and Bane fought each other" to "This is the house Andy Warhol was born in" to "yes, slaw, fries, the whole bit - everything on one sandwich." :)

Had another friend recommend the Zoo. I'm gonna do the toonzeuum for sure. Also wanna know the best Cheesesteak in the downtown, convention center area. I am betting there is some hole in the wall local place that is just pawsome

Its Duquense Incline and Mono(whatever) Incline. If on Duquense Incline, will see pictures of Pgh history on top, where it shows how bad air quality back then. Street light's on even at noon! Also Flood, as well. For Mono Incline, nice thing about this is on bottom there is shopping plaza where they used to be freight railroad housing. And Can hop on trolley to get into downtown subway.

I still remember seeing how they digging for subway system back in early 80's

Gateway Clipper is cool, its a passenger ship for anyone touring around three rivers.

trolley to top of city (forgot the name),

Its Duquense Incline and Mono(whatever) Incline. If on Duquense Incline, will see pictures of Pgh history on top, where it shows how bad air quality back then. Street light's on even at noon! Also Flood, as well. For Mono Incline, nice thing about this is on bottom there is shopping plaza where they used to be freight railroad housing. And Can hop on trolley to get into downtown subway.

I still remember seeing how they digging for subway system back in early 80's

Gateway Clipper is cool, its a passenger ship for anyone touring around three rivers.
Monongahela. It's one of the things I tried to learn to spell after being there for awhile lol. I don't know why they named it that, it's confusing to spell and even hearies say it weird. Interesting. I didn't know about the Mono incline, but the Duquense one.

The Mono river is nice to look at but one quirk I have about it is the water looks too brown green... to me.

I grew up and lived in Pgh for 29 years and still can't spell name of that river! Yeah, I don't know why they called them. To be honest, the river looks A LOT better than when it as in 1970 or earlier where they are downright FILTHY due to waste dumping from steel mill. Last time I was there was June 2nd.

Lots changes for WPSD, very impressed and damn I didn't have chance to stop by because I was so pissed off that they torn down boys dorm. :(

Monongahela. It's one of the things I tried to learn to spell after being there for awhile lol. I don't know why they named it that, it's confusing to spell and even hearies say it weird. Interesting. I didn't know about the Mono incline, but the Duquense one.

The Mono river is nice to look at but one quirk I have about it is the water looks too brown green... to me.

Well, what are some of your basic interests? I've given a lot of tours of Pittsburgh - I'd love to give you some ideas.

But I can give you anywhere from "Here's where Batman and Bane fought each other" to "This is the house Andy Warhol was born in" to "yes, slaw, fries, the whole bit - everything on one sandwich." :)

Well, I love batman! Haha, my taste varies. I like museums, I like Zoo's, I also love GREAT food. Which is of course one of the main reasons I love going to pittsburgh time and time again.

Back