Pics of Your Musical Instruments!!!

My two cents...

I'm a classical saxophonist, but it would be awfully pretentious to call myself a jazz saxophonist. It's not just about the fingers. It's a totally different sound and style of playing. I've had enough jazz training to learn many of the subtleties that make up jazz, but I'm far from being able to reproduce all of them.

My classical training has given me enough technical proficiency to play, say, any Charlie Parker tune. While most casual observers and even purely classically trained musicians may not know the difference, a true jazz musician could easily tell I'm just a classical player trying to play jazz.

I know what you mean. which is why I am slowly getting into the early jazz bit (e.g. Jelly Roll Morton, Fats Waller, etc...) on my piano. If you go to my site and click on Dick Hyman's YouTube piece called "The Fingerbreaker" by Jelly Roll Morton, man talk about dexterity and style. But first my concentration and love is still ragtime. Makes me happy when I listen to it. So fun to listen/

My musical background far, far outweighs yours, I can assure you. And I play key boards, bass, flat top, clarinet, and flute, and am a vocalist. I have studied music theory extensively...enough to know that one who relies strictly on theory is not anything more than a theorist. And you might want to check your historical timeline on genre progression.

I stand in awe, Jillio. :bowlol: I hope to one day have the honor of bringing my bass and jamming with you on a few tunes. That would be a kick in the rear end, huh?

I stand in awe, Jillio. :bowlol: I hope to one day have the honor of bringing my bass and jamming with you on a few tunes. That would be a kick in the rear end, huh?

I would love the opportunity, Ernie. We'll have to made that happen one day soon!

Not unexpected that you'd respond in that manner. That's your M.O.

What I do is called "inspiration" as a ragtime pianist for those who see for the first time a deaf/hh pianist belt out a ragtime piece with fervor and passion. This is only the beginning.

My Ragtime Piano! blog is an extension of my continued attempt to reach out to other deaf and hh musicians (and to anyone else who may not know that there are deaf/hh musicians out there), and would be young musicians in the piano category. My hope is come across another deaf or hh ragtime pianst someday.

I knew from the beginning that this would be a daunting task when I started this blog in May 2009 but I was realistic of the fact that I will come across people who wil deride me in what I do. I am no different from other well established ragtime pianists who do video-tape themselves and/or blog about it. What I do is called "reaching out" and at the same time help preserve the spirit and the calling of ragtime like all ragtime pianists and enthusiasts alike.

I don't expect you or others to understand what my intentions are. Nor do I expect you to understand my passion for ragtime, either. I have plans and moving out to Washington has helped immensely with my plans. Ragtime has been a passion of mine for over 30 years and I intend to continue with my chronicling in my blog, continue with the outreaching, expand my performances and video-taping. If you want to deride me for it, then that's fine. I expect these things to happen from people who pretend to be one thing but aren't.

Well, of course no one could understand your intentions. You no doubt have the inside information on the italics. But the pretense is becoming more detectable.:giggle:

I remember that when my sister first learned how to play the clarinet, it came out very screechy.

exactly why clarinet is a hard instrument to learn. once you know it well.... playing it with piano is quite magical. same with oboe

exactly why clarinet is a hard instrument to learn. once you know it well.... playing it with piano is quite magical. same with oboe

Love the oboe, but never mastered it. I fell in love with its sound when I heard the Symphony play Peter and the Wolf. I was probably in the second grade.

But you are correct. Reed instruments are touchy to learn.

Love the oboe, but never mastered it. I fell in love with its sound when I heard the Symphony play Peter and the Wolf. I was probably in the second grade.

But you are correct. Reed instruments are touchy to learn.

and very fickle especially with the moisture, temperature, etc. Just gotta love it and understand it like woman :lol:

It's heavenly enough to make God to shed a single tear.

and very fickle especially with the moisture, temperature, etc. Just gotta love it and understand it like woman :lol:

It's heavenly enough to make God to shed a single tear.

Oh, yeah...between the seals and the reeds, you are never certain exactly what you are gonna get!

Well, of course no one could understand your intentions. You no doubt have the inside information on the italics. But the pretense is becoming more detectable.:giggle:

Pretense? Kind of odd for you to say that with your "ability" to read minds on what deaf/hh people can or cannot do when it comes to playing and listening to music is just begging here. Talking about it is one thing, but to have something to show for is entirely a different realm here when it comes to playing.

It is encouraging to see deaf/hh people have an interest in music and even more so the playing of a musical instrument as well. Everybody in this thread. Either you have an interest in a particular instrument and practice regularly with it or you don't and move on. It's certainly far, far better than to put down deaf/hh people if they have a passion for playing a musical instarument whether as a beginner, intermediate, and advanced learner, amateur or professional. And why do deaf/hh people get discriminated by some hearing and even deaf people for their choices to play their own musical instruments if they have a desire to play them?

Pretense? Kind of odd for you to say that with your "ability" to read minds on what deaf/hh people can or cannot do when it comes to playing and listening to music is just begging here. Talking about it is one thing, but to have something to show for is entirely a different realm here when it comes to playing.

It is encouraging to see deaf/hh people have an interest in music and even more so the playing of a musical instrument as well. Everybody in this thread. Either you have an interest in a particular instrument and practice regularly with it or you don't and move on. It's certainly far, far better than to put down deaf/hh people if they have a passion for playing a musical instarument whether as a beginner, intermediate, and advanced learner, amateur or professional. And why do deaf/hh people get discriminated by some hearing and even deaf people for their choices to play their own musical instruments if they have a desire to play them?

hey that's a rather dirty cheapshot you pulled right there :nono:

don't forget that you started it first in your post #65. See Bott's post #70 - "OP casts doubt on Jillio's musical training, ability, and understanding." and you approved it in your post #76. and now you're pulling a deaf victim card? :nono:

hey that's a rather dirty cheapshot you pulled right there :nono:

don't forget that you started it first in your post #65. See Bott's post #70 - "OP casts doubt on Jillio's musical training, ability, and understanding." and you approved it in your post #76. and now you're pulling a deaf victim card? :nono:

Actually she took a swipe in post #60 using her famous rendition of "you fail to understand...." and then insult me by going after my hearing loss when she has absolutely no friggin idea of how well I hear and that I really depend a lot on my hearing when I play the piano. Ragtime is about (melodic) syncopation of the right hand with the accented bass movement of the left hand. Chords do not define what ragtime is, it's the syncopated style that makes ragtime recognizable. Which is why it's called "ragged time." That should be the biggest clue on the block on what ragtime is about. Even on a xylophone, a banjo, a guitar, trumpet, saxophone, violin, guitar, clarinet or even a piano you can play ragtime on single notes and people can recognize it as a ragtime piece....without the chords! And yes, I know, guitar, banjos, xylophone can play chords, too.

So, maybe leave the "tut tut" to somebody else for a change? I do cast doubt on her skill after she pretended to know something about ragtime which was clearly NOT the case here. Look, I've been doing ragtime for 30 years to this day. I have books. I have electronic versions. I have videos! I have hundreds of ragtime scores of the past and modern ones. I have friends who are professional ragtime pianists. I perform...ragtime. I practice 2 to 4 hours a day, or even longer when I can really steal some time away. I even decided to start blogging about ragtime as a deaf/hh pianist as a way to reach out to others.

So, don't let this be a damper on those who like their own brand of music or instrument of choice. By all means go out and enjoy playing your instrument to your heart's content. It's one way to get people to understand that even deaf/hh people can and do play music with much joy and satisfaction. :wave:

Perhaps you fail to understand that the recognizable sound achieved in ragtime is indeed through, as I stated previously, chord progression and note combination, as well as the instrument on which it was histroically played is as much a part of the genre as is the syncopated rhythm because you are relying more on your eyes than your ears in reading the score.

Meant to respond to this one earlier. I had thought alot about playing the clarinet while in middle school but never got close to it, except doing the saxophone thing. But I love what Benny Goodman can do with his clarinet. The sound resonates very well with me.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb7wiomjXlo]YouTube - Louis Stewart & Benny Goodman "The King of Swing"[/ame]

Give it up kokonut. I've known for years that deaf/hoh people have an interest in music, in dance, in theatre, and in all of the creative and performing arts, and that they are quite capable of expressing that interest and those talents. It is people coming from the audist philosophy that seem to take the attitude that an hoh guy playing ragtime from sheet music is some sort of miracle. Get over yourself.

Oh, I know. No need to 'splain. I've always advocated that deaf/hh people can do anything, even hear (though not exactly like a hearing person, mind you), even any musical instruments of their choice. I'm one of them. There are many in here, too. All it is is that it's simply encouraging to see deaf/hh to get really good with their musical instruments and maintain their philosophy of discipline and practice rather than just tinkering around. And who knows, maybe these people will become a well known national or international musician some day? Yes, there are some out there. Yet, in here, I am specifically talking about practicing and mastering their own musical instruments not about other arts that connect with music, which is fine and dandy but a different topic altogether. There's actually a few forums that brings together like minded serious deaf/hh musicians and their instruments. Get over myself? At least I do *know* my ragtime and yours were, well, quite transparent.

Enjoy.

I hadn't know that the clarinet is hard to play. When I play the piano, people leave the room. :lol:

I don't think I'll take up the autoharp again cuz the thing is LOUD and I don't want my neighbors to get mad at me. :lol:

But do you enjoy it? (Not people leaving the room; the playing the piano:giggle:)

I don't know how to play it but I do enjoy it.. We have no piano now because it got sold off years ago. I remember saying that we all should get my little sister a baby grand piano years ago when she said she wanted a grand piano.

Perhaps I can get one. :D

Back