Phonak FM System

I've been reading this thread. I haven't used an FM system in over 20 years since my school days. I'm sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but how is it used in real life? With my near profound hearing loss I wonder if this would be beneficial for me. Would I use it at work? Where are they bought? Through my audi? No one has ever recommended one to me. I admit I'm intrigued!

They're very helpful (of many people) in situations where there is a lot of background noise or sounds coming from multiple directions.
Examples of "real life usage" would be:

Restaurants
Malls/retail settings etc
movie theatres
meetings (at work)
doctors appointments
conversing with someone in a car etc
conferences/seminars
listening to MP3 players,TV, Computer, Videos etc
phones (with a headphone jack)
etc

You typically get them from your Audie - and they SHOULD be able to let you try the unit for a week or so (minimum) before you have to buy it /return it.

You can also use things like "pocket talkers" (with headphone, loop or DAI attachment) which are MUCH less money but are good for "occasional short range use" (across a restaurant table, at a drs office etc where you can be within about 5 feet of the other person)

When I get my new HA (maybe in a year?) I absolutely will be looking into getting something more than just my DAI boot (mic on) with the audio cable - I use it for MP3players/computer etc.... I'd love something like the smartlink+

I have a Smartlink with DAI shoes. I say go for it, fm can help in lots of situations, as listed above. You have nothing to lose by trying fm with Tyler and he will most likely get a lot of benefit.

Aren't there hearing losses that don't respond well to aiding, but might see benifit from FM?
I don't think an FM is a GOTTA MUST HAVE, but it can be helpful, and it does seem like the benifit varies tremendously among different people.

there really shouldn't be a debate about whether it will be helpful or not since he's only 3. Regardless of age he does have "classes" already per se for SLP and such and with some of the sessions I'm sure the FM will help and if i'm not mistaken pre-school next year since he'll be 4 years old and fm is usually recommended for children once they enter school...IMO he will most likely benefit from using an fm ..I find even FM for sports and in the car and such is a big help!

Thanks Alicia...

Tyler is actually in preschool this year. He qualifies for JK next year but we may keep him in preschool for another year. So, yes he will using his FM at preschool as soon as he gets it - but we also plan on using it at home.

I'm hoping he'll have more clarity with the new technology ha's and the FM system.

I think the new aids and fm will for sure help..a boost and diff technology sometimes is the answer esp fm+new ha combo! Like I said the fm helps me and when I started to lose my hearing its what got me thru high school before I had hearing aids:)
And welcome! :)

Alicia, I wasn't trying to start a debate about FM or anything. Just saying that it does seem like it's reccomoneded across the board for ALL dhh kids as the perfect accomondation, when it seems like the benifit is hit or miss. But yeah, in this case it's good to try "whatever works" It COULD work for him! Actually, I could have SWORN I read something about FM being used for ADD and CAPD kids in the classroom.
ryancher, does Canada have a special ed law that says that kids with disabilites can stay in school until they are 21? I had an extra year of preschool myself.

Alicia, I wasn't trying to start a debate about FM or anything. Just saying that it does seem like it's reccomoneded across the board for ALL dhh kids as the perfect accomondation, when it seems like the benifit is hit or miss. But yeah, in this case it's good to try "whatever works" It COULD work for him! Actually, I could have SWORN I read something about FM being used for ADD and CAPD kids in the classroom.
ryancher, does Canada have a special ed law that says that kids with disabilites can stay in school until they are 21? I had an extra year of preschool myself.

yes. theycan stay til 21

Oh in that case, I'd definitly ...not hold him back per se, but just give him an extra year of preschool. Being a year older isn't that big of a gap. Is it common for "just dhh" kids to stay in school until they are 21, or is it mostly kids with things like intellectucal disabilty?

Deafdyke - it depends on each student. Some dhh kids stay until 21 to improve their math and english if they are not great in those skills. Some graduate at 17 like the 'typical' kids.
Ryancher - I recommend FM. I have Naida V UP myself with ML10i and a Smartlink+. It works quite well. Someone was asking the difference between easylink, zoomlink and smartlink. Each one is a step up from the others. Easylink just has 1 button, and is meant to be used by someone wearing the easylink only. Zoomlink has 3 buttons, for someone wearing it, someone a little further, and omni. Smartlink does all of the above and features bluetooth (great for the phone) and ability to plug other devices in.
You should have at least 30 days to try out the FM. If you find it isn't helping, you should be able to return it. I doubt that will happen, and i'm sure you will find it useful. As other have said, dont go for the loop (t-coil option). It's not reliable, has lots of interference, and doesn't work well with the Naidas because they have auto-tcoil.
Hope this helped!
*EQL*

Thanks... we're going to order the Naida V's with the SmartLink+ FM (and boots). I'm excited and hopeful that they will help.

We have 2 kindergarten programs here - junior kindergarten and senior kindergarten. Tyler would qualify to enter jk next Sept but unless his speech develops we're probably going to skip jk - continue another year of preschool - and then enter sk in 2012. That's what we did with our older son.

Deafdyke - it depends on each student. Some dhh kids stay until 21 to improve their math and english if they are not great in those skills. Some graduate at 17 like the 'typical' kids.
Ryancher - I recommend FM. I have Naida V UP myself with ML10i and a Smartlink+. It works quite well. Someone was asking the difference between easylink, zoomlink and smartlink. Each one is a step up from the others. Easylink just has 1 button, and is meant to be used by someone wearing the easylink only. Zoomlink has 3 buttons, for someone wearing it, someone a little further, and omni. Smartlink does all of the above and features bluetooth (great for the phone) and ability to plug other devices in.
You should have at least 30 days to try out the FM. If you find it isn't helping, you should be able to return it. I doubt that will happen, and i'm sure you will find it useful. As other have said, dont go for the loop (t-coil option). It's not reliable, has lots of interference, and doesn't work well with the Naidas because they have auto-tcoil.
Hope this helped!
*EQL*

Does staying til 21 helps? My older brother failed alot (he does not have LD, he just didn't care about school, refuse to do his homework and study... he almost dropped out but mom managed to make him stay in school) and he ended up graduating in his 20's (three years later)

In my district, hoh kids often repeat a year of k. Because we are half day program, they usually spend half day in room with totd, and the other half of the day inclusioned in reg classroom. Giving them another year lets them catch up as far as language.

Recently I've been keeping one hearing set on reg, the other set on fm. This way I get everything. Only real problem is that it's tough sometimes taking in so much sound.

I would almost reccomend starting your son with them both set on fm, then, eventually, when you can communicate to him effectively that one ear can be put on his class, the other on the teacher, let him try that and see if he likes it. I think it may be a little over his head as a preschooler :D But in a few years that might be something to remember.

In my district, hoh kids often repeat a year of k. Because we are half day program, they usually spend half day in room with totd, and the other half of the day inclusioned in reg classroom. Giving them another year lets them catch up as far as language.

Recently I've been keeping one hearing set on reg, the other set on fm. This way I get everything. Only real problem is that it's tough sometimes taking in so much sound.

I would almost reccomend starting your son with them both set on fm, then, eventually, when you can communicate to him effectively that one ear can be put on his class, the other on the teacher, let him try that and see if he likes it. I think it may be a little over his head as a preschooler :D But in a few years that might be something to remember.

I do one in FM+Mic and one in FM only...that works nicely for me.

Work Phone issues

I have problems with hearing on my work phone, I'm wondering if there is a way to hook my SmartLink to my work phone (it has no audio jack)??

I have problems with hearing on my work phone, I'm wondering if there is a way to hook my SmartLink to my work phone (it has no audio jack)??

I have a gadget that connects my smartlink to a corded phone. As I live in the UK it came from a British company called Connevans, I don't know whether they are available in the states, but here's the link so you can have a look:

fmg pack 4b: Telephone use - with a handset at home or work - connevans.co.uk

Hope that helps!

I have a Plantonics that my employer bought me (and your employer should be required to provide you with the appropriate equipment, though you'll probably have to do all the research first).
I had them also get a special extension cord that connected to the Plantonics with an audio cord "jack" on the other end so I could plug my telecoil neckloop into it. Can't say how well it works because I hardly use the phone and I can hear well enough for those times that I do use it. Now that I have an iCom, I may test it out again (never bothered hooking it up the last time I changed desks).
That being said, there should be things out there w/accessories that you can use between your phone and your Smartlink.

Thanks

I will look into it, my duo-phone connection doen't work good, I don't use the phone at work much... but the times I do need it, it is really hard for me to hear... or understand what is being said.

Just curious for TheWriteAlex, you are in the USA and ryancher is in Canada. Now I assume from ryancher's post the the system cost the family nothing because Canada covers it. Here in USA, I am not aware of any assistance. So Alex, how did you get yours?

Back