Phonak FM System

Okay... I think I've decided...

Naida V's (undecided on colour - waiting to get husband's input)
SmartLink Transmitter
ML11i Receiver

I'm assuming with his degree of loss, super powered... but I guess that will be up to the audi.

I meant that it will bring the voice closer to the mic, but if you don't have the ability to discriminate speech, and FM won't fix that.

Have you asked the audiologist what they think would be best? My daughter's audiologist does NOT recommend an FM for a child who has language less than a 4-5 year old.

I meant that it will bring the voice closer to the mic, but if you don't have the ability to discriminate speech, and FM won't fix that.

Have you asked the audiologist what they think would be best? My daughter's audiologist does NOT recommend an FM for a child who has language less than a 4-5 year old.

We had an appointment with the audi last week for a hearing test and we discussed new aids and fm system. She recommended Naida's and she thinks the FM system will help Tyler.

Why not give it a try? He's been fitted with aids for a few years now, he seems to understand quite a bit of speech and simple directions... and is starting to attempt signs and words as a means to communicate. Yes I will admit both signs and speech are both minimal and delayed for his age... but he has shown a progress in the last few months in both areas. We are introducing him to ASL but still working with a SLP. We also have an appointment this Friday to look at cochlear candidacy.

What I mean by all of this is... we are doing everything we can to provide Tyler with what he needs to communicate. I want to explore every option until I find the right fit for Tyler.

As an FM user since 2 years old (until i left school)... go for it. Nothing to lose, try every possiblity for communication needs. Good luck.

(yes boot is like a plug in mini box at the bottom of HA - no wires needed)

Since the MLX10s are replaced from the battery door - can they stay on the ha's even when the fm system is not being used? Or do I have to keep removing and putting back on?

I'm not sure about that type specifically but Elliott's can stay on all the time. The school audi did give me the tool to swap them out with the originals though, which I do sometimes on the weekends or extended time away from school. The only reason I do this is because the battery door on the "boot" does not have a battery capture do-hickey like the original so if it pops open the battery can fall out (and has).
Also on his aids the colored dots marking right and left are on the original battery doors, so I marked the right one with a red dot of nail polish inside the battery compartment.

What is the reasoning for this?

I've been researching the use of FM systems and I haven't come across this.

Because FM are temperamental and are difficult to troubleshoot, and some don't work as often as they do. So, if a child is not an excellent reporter, they can do more harm than good.

Yes the receivers can stay on the ha even when not in use :) I used to always leave mine on. The SP uses the ML10i and the UP uses the the ML11i. Since the receivers replace the battery door u can just click the receiver down like you would the barry door and it will just open a bit to disable the hearing aid and it be "off" another click up will turn it on:) So easy and great that you can leave it on..because I am bad with losing lil gadgets that small...and your son won't be able to take the receiver off himself so you won't have to worry about it!

I have Naida Vs with the Zoomlink and iCom.

Honestly, it really hasn't been as helpful as I would have liked. There are only a few situations where it makes much difference over just regular aids: When I go to a reading or public speaking event and the entire room is quiet except for the speaker. It does make the voice of the speaker louder and a little more clear, but I still struggle to understand words. I honestly think Phonak FMs are poorly made and use cheap components, especially for the price you pay for them.

The FM does not help me AT ALL in a noisy situation. The mic is nowhere near are discriminating as the mic on my aids, so it pics up all kinds of environmental noises that just make it harder to understand speech.

Anyway, that's my personal experience. I think the effectiveness of FMs really depends on the person and their hearing loss. I just have a weird loss, and FMs, Aids, etc only make minimal impacts. But for certain losses, they are no doubt very beneficial.

I have Naida Vs with the Zoomlink and iCom.

Honestly, it really hasn't been as helpful as I would have liked. There are only a few situations where it makes much difference over just regular aids: When I go to a reading or public speaking event and the entire room is quiet except for the speaker. It does make the voice of the speaker louder and a little more clear, but I still struggle to understand words. I honestly think Phonak FMs are poorly made and use cheap components, especially for the price you pay for them.

The FM does not help me AT ALL in a noisy situation. The mic is nowhere near are discriminating as the mic on my aids, so it pics up all kinds of environmental noises that just make it harder to understand speech.

Anyway, that's my personal experience. I think the effectiveness of FMs really depends on the person and their hearing loss. I just have a weird loss, and FMs, Aids, etc only make minimal impacts. But for certain losses, they are no doubt very beneficial.

I have tried the full range of Phonak FM's....I had the EasyLink, then moved to ZoomLink, then they gave me a SmartLink+. There is a HUGE difference in quality between the Zoomlink and the SmartLink+. I love the SmartLink+ and it is way less temperamental than the others I have used.

I have the smartlink as well and had easylink before and like smartlink much better...wish I could ge the smartlink+

Hmm, maybe I should check into getting a Smartlink myself... what exactly is the difference between it and the other FMs?

I have the MLxi fm boot for my oticon gaias and when I put iton, it beeps so it lets me know my recivers are on my hearing aids! for school, U could get the Inspiro Fm system which I have right now and it works better than my old transmitter which is crappy LOL

For some, the FM is helpful, others, not.
I use the Phonak EasyLink with the boots on my aids, which clip to the battery door. For me, the easylink makes voices louder- more in my ear- if you know what I mean, but not necessarily clearer.
It will be very difficult, at his age, to communicate to you that he is having problems with the FM. The FM, for me, usually worked pretty well, but mine sometimes blanks out. Mine also will "turn off" after a while of no close speaking, but will usually kick on.
My totd tested it once a week with me- she put it on, I set my h-aids to the mic, then I walked away from her, she made sounds, I repeated.

Idk. I can see how it will be difficult for a child to use one, but also possibly beneficial.

I realize I'm joining this late - however I wanted to add something that I don't think has been mentioned about T-coil reliant systems (versus "boot"/"shoe" systems)

One MAJOR drawback to T-coil based systems is that they are very dependant on the area in which they are being used - in some siuations they are WONDERFUL ... but in others they make listening situations WORSE than using nothing at all.

This is because depending on the environment (presents of CRT TVs, Computer Monitors, various types of common electrical equipment etc and especially florescent lighting) they often have a HUGE amount of buzzing etc noise (sort of like electric hair clippers or something) that is present when the HA is in "T-Coil" mode.

Because schools tend to be lit exclusively with fluorescent lighting and often have misc electrical equipment in classrooms - this makes using anything T-Coil based an "iffy idea at best" .

I'd recommend using something that is DAI aka "direct audio input" instead - which means a "boot/shoe" based system.

Keep in mind that there are also different boots/shoes (same thing).

Some boots/shoes are set to have the mic ON while connected and in use (so the HA user can hear room sounds via the mic at the same time as they hear whatever they are listening to via the boot/shoe - while other boots/shoes switch the mic OFF while connected so that the only thing the user hears is what is being routed via the boot/shoe DAI input.... there are other boots/shoes that have the ability to do both via a tiny screw/switch adjustment (should be adjusted by an adult or once the user is a teen they can do it themselves if needed).

If this "dual" boot (one with an adjustment that allows you to have the mic on or off when connected) is available for the users HAs I'd think this would be the best option as it allows the user/parent to adjust the "listening environment" as needed to most benefit the user.
If the "adjustable" boot/shoe is NOT available - I would recommend having 2 "mic ON" boots/shoes and possibly one "mic off" boot/shoe. This is because for classroom etc listening it is important that the child can clearly hear the teacher (mic off shoe) however (depending on the HL) also be able to at least be aware of other children speaking if possible (mic on shoe). The ability to have one ear (for bilateral users) that is "JUST DAI" ie "just teacher" can be VERY helpful :)

If the person uses HAs bilaterally (both ears) then it may be a good option to have one boot (in their "worse ear" if applicable) that is a boot which is mic OFF when in place (so it's 100% DAI sounds, no mic/room sounds) ... and have the other (ear better for speech rec) have a DAI boot that is mic ON (allowing them to listen to room sounds AND the DAI boot/shoe sounds).

The other advantage of the DAI boots is that they are able to be connected to MP3 players, computer speakers, phones, TVs etc - which makes them very useful for both school and "everyday life" (and because many of the things are "fun things" even the youngest kids are less likely to "buck the idea" as the boots/shoes allow them to hear things they WANT easier too ;) )

P.S. for very young children - it would be a good idea to give them an easy yet specific way to explain "I can't hear right" "this sounds horrible etc" ... it could be as simple as having them POINT to the ear that is "broken" and shake their head etc... something that clearly says "something is wrong with THIS ear/HA" .
One easy way to teach even toddlers is to play (for short periods of time - say 1-3mins) a "HA on off game" - where one HA is turned off and they have to say which one changed (very easy to do if you have a remote).

Teaching children who wear HAs (or CI for that matter) from "day one" how to indicate their HA/CI is working or not can be very helpful - however it's something that (for some odd reason) not all audiologists suggest or show parents how to do.
One easy way to start is by have a gesture (even if you are not using ASL etc for language/communication) that means "I can't hear/understand" (such as point to both/one ear(s)& shake head "No") every time before the HAs are put on (and turned on) ... then once they are put on (and turned on) then the gesture becomes "I can hear/understand" (ie point to both ears and nod "yes") - then every time there is a change in hearing (ie HA/CI turned off/on or put on or removed from the user) the appropriate gesture ("yes" for working, "no" for not) is used by the adult/parent/etc as well as the HA/CI user (help them gesture if needed). After they've understood completely the "off" and "on" change , more subtle changes can be practised as well - for example flip the HA into T-Coil mode (without connecting to any T-Coil listening equipment/ loops etc) and gesture that the ear with the HA set to T-Coil is "not working properly"

Hope that helps!!

Thanks for the info... it's very helpful!!!

I'm definetely choosing the boots over the T-Coil. They sound more reliable.

Tyler is pretty good with indicating there is a problem with his aids - he generally pulls them out and brings them to me to fix. He knows how to turn them on and off, and pull them out. He's still too young to know how to put them in just yet.

I've been reading this thread. I haven't used an FM system in over 20 years since my school days. I'm sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but how is it used in real life? With my near profound hearing loss I wonder if this would be beneficial for me. Would I use it at work? Where are they bought? Through my audi? No one has ever recommended one to me. I admit I'm intrigued!

I'm not the best to ask AlleyCat as this will be our 1st FM... but I'll try.

We're getting ours through our audiologist.

The receiver (boots) attaches to your hearing aids and brings the sound of the speaker wearing the transmitter closer and clearer.

We're planning on using it at home, in the car, and at preschool.

Back