Phonak Exelias (Any with experience with this HA?)

ROSED

Reaction score
After much research I have decided to purchase Phonak Exelia BTE Micro open fit HAs. This decision was made after 5 months research etc.

If there is any interest, I shall follow up with a post here to let others know of my experience.

One area of challenge which I did not expect at all (foolish I suppose in looking back) was the variations in pricing from amazingly high (3,600 per aid) to low (2,000 per aid). Had I gone with initial pricing I truly could have been taken advantage of, plus put in many (more) weeks of overtime work hours to pay for such expense.

My sister, who has much more of a challenge than I (Cochlear Implant/Johns Hopkins Balt), did some research and guided me to excellent choices... The Phonak products were one of these.

I will also be getting the iCOM to enable the bluetooth functions with my cell phone and possibly TV set!

Are there any wearers of this aid/the iCOM on this board who would like to reflect on their experience. I will be new to this (though am extremely well read on this device) and would like to hear the ins and outs!

Thank you so much,
Rose

PS Again please let me know if any here are interested in viewing my review of these aids!

Very satisfied with Exélia

Since end of April I have Exélia SP and since mid Mai iCom. Until then I had Savia 311 dsz. My decision to replace the Savia's is based on several facts. First, there is a better and more natural understanding of speech in noisy environment. The new whistle blocker works great. Music is much more natural and I can clearly distinguish different instruments in an orchestra. Exélia reacts significantly faster and more precisely to changes in the hearing environment and transitions are no longer audible.

My iCom is always on. It connects my cell telephone via Bluetooth. Sometimes I listen to music using a Bluetooth audio adapter or an audio cable. TV via cable is OK, but TV via Bluetooth can be confusing, because the sound is delayed. A professional said a delay of 3/10 sec is Bluetooth specific and is not produced by the iCom.

I am very interested in your review of Exélia.

Thank you
Franz

Right now I have the Smartlink SX with one FM receiver in one aid, which does not satisfy me regarding music and TV use. I'm eager to see what all of you have to say about the iCom. I have a Phonak Naida UP aids, so would like to find out if the iCom will be loud enough for me to hear music and voice out of both ears? Is the FM receiver connection a little flaky, or is it strong enough to keep from falling off the iCom device? How is the entire device constructed, can it take some abuse without breaking? I hope to get this device within the next few months.....

Hows it going with the iCom?

Hi! I am writing an article for my website in Spain Ayudamos a los niños con pérdida auditiva to help Spanish families with hearing loss. Can you tell me about your experience with iCom? How do you like it? Would you recommend it? Do you use it with FM? What is your main use? Thanks! Dale

Hi all!!

I just had the privilege to have a test drive of the iCom today at my audiologist's office.

The iCom in itself does connect in stereo, and the sound is very clear. I trialed with both music and phone communications.

Regarding the FM connection to the iCom, I was not able to test drive that portion. The Phonak Representative that let me test drive it said the FM receiver to connect on the iCom can not be manipulated to satisfy my hearing demands as opposed to having two FM receivers on each aid, whether Naida or Exelia. She said the 2 FM receivers each can be manipulated to work well for each ear, but the single DAI FM receiver on the iCom was simply a receiver to receive the sounds from the transmitter. I currently have only 1 FM receiver (ML10i). I'm currently using the Smartlink SX transmitter.

I'm not 100% sure how good using a microphone from a bluetooth device such as a cell phone, other that the distance is short. I'm still trying to make up my mind whether or not I want to have the iCom or 2 FM receivers.

I will be making a good decision my Monday morning, so if there's anybody else willing to divulge some of their experiences regarding the iCom with-w/o FM, please let me and the group know...Thanks!!

A little confused? iCom vs Smartlink?

Hi everyone,

I'm a little confused...I have the smartlink FM system and I can use it for bluetooth no problem...what is the iCom and how is it better/different?

Thanks! :ty:

Hi everyone,

I'm a little confused...I have the smartlink FM system and I can use it for bluetooth no problem...what is the iCom and how is it better/different?

Thanks! :ty:

It depends on the user, but Stereo is one plus. The other plus is the more advanced Bluetooth (2.0 version). Smartlink SX is version 1.1 http://www.phonak.com/com_datasheet_smartlink_sx.pdf The problem is, if FM is used, the stereo turns to mono.....I really don't know too much more about it.......my actual plan is to have 2 ML10i receivers for my Phonak Naida UP aids. I originally wanted the iCom (cheaper than 1 of my ML10i receivers) but having 2 FM receivers seem to have more hearing control than the iCom with FM receiver. In addition, there is the bluetooth capability on the Smartlink SX to overcome most of what the iCom has to offer. However, the iCom is the cheaper alternative......

Back