Petition: Stop killing Deaf dogs

I would rather have a deaf dog than a hearing one

Why is a hearing dog less derserving of love? I'd love any dog, disabled or not.

Laura

:wave:
in relation to Dals....Dalmatian....
all dogs need a lot of time and attention- some dogs, such as the more athletic and "hard-wired" breeds or types, need much more than "a lot".
Dalmations at one time worked as runners next to and under horse-drawn fire carriages, clearing the path for the vehicle, acting as deterrent for whoever might get in the way of it; also as guards for fire stations.
Before that in the area of origin, was used as an all-around hunting and guard dog.

They're extremely athletic and have high-endurance and due to their background may not as a breed be easy-going around other dogs, strange surroundings and not good for sedate environments.

In some places still today in the U.S, they do offer endurance events with a horse and rider and the Dalmatian working together as a team. One type of event partially judges on how well the dog stays with the horse and wagon <to simulate the fire duty aspect>.

The deaf heritability in the breed is due to how the genes act on the coat characteristics of the breed.

I've worked with dogs who were deaf and there is certainly nothing inherently "wrong" with them.

all beings work for what is reinforcing <what the organism likes> for them - for chimps, that could be bananas, or grooming; for dogs, that is usually food and can also be things like toys, petting, playing a game.
I haven't found Dalmatians harder to teach than any other dog but what I keep in mind is - what does the dog like? What will she work for? If I use "traditional" or "old-school" methods based on "commands", and punishment, then a more rugged, independent and outgoing dog like a Dalmatian will be unlikely to accept that and the "training" will be more difficult.

Ambrosia, you are right to emphasize the Right Household for this dog. One of the biggest things I see as a trainer and shelter volunteer is a family interested in a dog for whom they can't meet that dogs needs, or a dog in a home that is in reality totally inappropriate for them.

:wave:
in relation to Dals....Dalmatian....
all dogs need a lot of time and attention- some dogs, such as the more athletic and "hard-wired" breeds or types, need much more than "a lot".
Dalmations at one time worked as runners next to and under horse-drawn fire carriages, clearing the path for the vehicle, acting as deterrent for whoever might get in the way of it; also as guards for fire stations.
Before that in the area of origin, was used as an all-around hunting and guard dog.

They're extremely athletic and have high-endurance and due to their background may not as a breed be easy-going around other dogs, strange surroundings and not good for sedate environments.

In some places still today in the U.S, they do offer endurance events with a horse and rider and the Dalmatian working together as a team. One type of event partially judges on how well the dog stays with the horse and wagon <to simulate the fire duty aspect>.

The deaf heritability in the breed is due to how the genes act on the coat characteristics of the breed.

I've worked with dogs who were deaf and there is certainly nothing inherently "wrong" with them.

all beings work for what is reinforcing <what the organism likes> for them - for chimps, that could be bananas, or grooming; for dogs, that is usually food and can also be things like toys, petting, playing a game.
I haven't found Dalmatians harder to teach than any other dog but what I keep in mind is - what does the dog like? What will she work for? If I use "traditional" or "old-school" methods based on "commands", and punishment, then a more rugged, independent and outgoing dog like a Dalmatian will be unlikely to accept that and the "training" will be more difficult.

Ambrosia, you are right to emphasize the Right Household for this dog. One of the biggest things I see as a trainer and shelter volunteer is a family interested in a dog for whom they can't meet that dogs needs, or a dog in a home that is in reality totally inappropriate for them.

I certainly don't agree with the stance in the link provided that all the deaf dals should be put down and never ever be given to families. BUT from what I read, you're absolutely correct. That stance is harsh, but they're probably trying to cut down on future problems with poor things being given to shelters later on, not necessarily some prejudice about them being deaf. It sounds like even a hearing dalmation needs someone who will spend lots of time with, taking it for hikes and whatnot. The parents of small children have their hands pretty full just with the kids, a dalmation almost sounds like a full time job!!

:wave:Ambrosia, based on my experience, sadly I do think many to most times deaf puppies and particularly deaf Dal's are culled because they are deaf as part of breeding practices, it's part of some breed clubs COE <Code of "Ethics" >

- this from DCA website: <quote>"...To ensure that the hearing status of all puppies and breeding candidates is known and taken into consideration in all breeding decisions. To ensure that all bilateraly deaf puppies produced by my brood bitch or sired by my stud dog are humanely euthanized as soon as the condition is detected and confirmed. " <end quote>

yes, you're quite right in the amount of exercise and time this breed requires. The typical Dal in terms of breed type, would be likely to make a great agility or flyball dog, or endurance/wilderness hiking or running partner for someone who likes to spend time outdoors/in the back country. Famiiles with young children and kids heavily involved in sports and activities where the humans are gone often and the dog is restricted to the house and inactivity - is a bad match, in my opinion.

I certainly don't agree with the stance in the link provided that all the deaf dals should be put down and never ever be given to families. BUT from what I read, you're absolutely correct. That stance is harsh, but they're probably trying to cut down on future problems with poor things being given to shelters later on, not necessarily some prejudice about them being deaf. It sounds like even a hearing dalmation needs someone who will spend lots of time with, taking it for hikes and whatnot. The parents of small children have their hands pretty full just with the kids, a dalmation almost sounds like a full time job!!

I think the whole thing of killing off an animal because of what it was born with is stupid, cruel and inhumane. Why put down an animal to protect the breed when all one needs to do is have them neutered or spade? Stupid humans!

The parents of small children have their hands pretty full just with the kids, a dalmation almost sounds like a full time job!!

Most dogs are a full-time job, cats too. Animals need socializaion or they have the tendacy to become withdrawn and agressive. Sadly, many people buy an animal only to treat it like furniture. Animals, cats and dogs, need you to spend quality time with them, they need play, they need excerise...they need to be treated like a child. You wouldn't have a baby and leave it in the crib all day would you? A domestic animal requires that same level of care.

Laura

Most dogs are a full-time job, cats too. Animals need socializaion or they have the tendacy to become withdrawn and agressive. Sadly, many people buy an animal only to treat it like furniture. Animals, cats and dogs, need you to spend quality time with them, they need play, they need excerise...they need to be treated like a child. You wouldn't have a baby and leave it in the crib all day would you? A domestic animal requires that same level of care.

Laura

So true.

Why is a hearing dog less derserving of love? I'd love any dog, disabled or not.

Laura

It seems my post conveyed the wrong tone. Of course I feel that hearing dogs deserve just as much attention as a Deaf dog. I've always wanted a Deaf dog because I am Deaf myself, that's all. :)

When I saw the title for this thread I was thinking:
But what about certain breeds of dogs that have a high rate of deafness like Dalmations? Should people stop breeding them just because they are deaf so that they don't have to be killed off after being born?

but then it turns out the whole article is in fact about Dalmations... hmm.

I am against breeding one's pets because I think it is abusive to the animals in the first place. What's to say that all animals want to have offspring? Maybe some of those animals are Childfree. Who knows.

But as for killing off a pup just because it seems deaf... not sure. On one hand it's convenient for the breeder since they won't have to hold on to a dog that will have a hard time finding a home. But on the other hand, it's not like the pup chose to be born deaf, or like the breeder didn't know some of the pups would be deaf, or that it would be impossible for potential owners to find a way to enjoy having a deaf dog.

If having pups that aren't deaf is so important that you'd kill them after they're born, maybe it's time to reevaluate why you are breeding animals in the first place.

Back