People Wanting to Go Deaf?

SigningTinker

Reaction score
I've read a multitude of questions on Yahoo! Answers and other websites asking how to go deaf. And the reason I've seen the most of is because of someone they live with making a lot of noise. I personally think that if you want to block out the noise, buy some earplugs! They aren't permanent like trying to go completely deaf is, but it will still give you some relief. Heck, I was scrolling through and I started seeing people that wanted to go deaf because they thought it was cool. Sure, Deaf Culture is awesome, but you don't need to go deaf to participate in it. Learn some ASL! Try making an actual effort to connect with the deaf.

What do you guys think about this? Brilliant idea, or awful idea?

~Tinker

I've read a multitude of questions on Yahoo! Answers and other websites asking how to go deaf. And the reason I've seen the most of is because of someone they live with making a lot of noise. I personally think that if you want to block out the noise, buy some earplugs! They aren't permanent like trying to go completely deaf is, but it will still give you some relief. Heck, I was scrolling through and I started seeing people that wanted to go deaf because they thought it was cool. Sure, Deaf Culture is awesome, but you don't need to go deaf to participate in it. Learn some ASL! Try making an actual effort to connect with the deaf.

What do you guys think about this? Brilliant idea, or awful idea?

~Tinker
it's a mentally ill idea, and there is a huge thread here from several years ago discussing it.

Some people are trying to become deaf so they can apply for SSDI.

Some people are trying to become deaf so they can apply for SSDI.

Sure until they realize that stay at home all day is no fun and hopeless.

Eventually, they regret about destroying the hearing and have to receive CI to recover before they return to job.

SSDI pay same as minimum wage job - that's sucks.

If someone is living in apartment and some tenants are being too loud , they should call the landlord . If it's someone in the house just tell them to knock it off . If you're second floor you put more rugs down to help drown out the sound or wait till the person is sleeping and start stomping around on your floor , that should be good enough hint . There is no needs to made your deaf but I do wish I was able to transplant that person hearing into my ears. ..

I was so fed up as a kid being hoh and bullied, I wanted to put firecrackers in my ears and end it all.... yeah, stupid thoughts at the time, but looking back on it Im glad I didnt, although I eventually went completely deaf naturally.

I was so fed up as a kid being hoh and bullied, I wanted to put firecrackers in my ears and end it all.... yeah, stupid thoughts at the time, but looking back on it Im glad I didnt, although I eventually went completely deaf naturally.

No wonder about you got CI.

Hearing aids aren't working for total deafness so I know some of classmates were HoH so now, they are total deafness and complained that hearing aids don't work anymore.

SSDI pay same as minimum wage job - that's sucks.

Not true, depending on how much they worked and put into it.

If you worked and put into it you get more ( basically Min. Wage.)
if you never worked or didnt contribute enough, you get less
( thats why some get more than others)

Not true, depending on how much they worked and put into it.

If you worked and put into it you get more ( basically Min. Wage.)
if you never worked or didnt contribute enough, you get less
( thats why some get more than others)

For me, SSDI pay same as minimum wage job and it sucks.

No wonder about you got CI.

Hearing aids aren't working for total deafness so I know some of classmates were HoH so now, they are total deafness and complained that hearing aids don't work anymore.

Yep, HA quit working for me a long time ago, just struggled through most of my childhood, and HA in later adulthood but were basically useless and then, didnt help at all anymore eventually.
CI was a big jump.

I was reading a deaf-wannabe's blog, and they said something about putting oiled cotton in their ears. What kind of oil makes you go deaf? I've never heard of such a thing.

"It's been over two months since I've last posted. Last time my efforts didn't pan out well with the cotton. It requires a LOT of cotton to get a good seal and it really does make the ear canal ache. Went without, alas."

Alllllllrighty then.

For me, SSDI pay same as minimum wage job and it sucks.
agree, the measly pennies they give me compared to the thousands I made per month is a drop in the bucket, it was hard the first year to adjust to that lifestyle change. Getting injured severely or any medical disabilities are dramatic changes to anyone.

I was reading a deaf-wannabe's blog, and they said something about putting oiled cotton in their ears. What kind of oil makes you go deaf? I've never heard of such a thing.

"It's been over two months since I've last posted. Last time my efforts didn't pan out well with the cotton. It requires a LOT of cotton to get a good seal and it really does make the ear canal ache. Went without, alas."

Alllllllrighty then.
the oil just helps makes the cotton dense, use vasaline...dummies.

Not only was that stupid thoughts , it would had hurt like HELL ! I had a small firecracker goes off in my hand ! OMG ! talk about pain ! It was an
old firecracker of my ex brother and it was Halloween and I went to throw the damn thing and it stuck to my fingers ! I didn't dare to look at my hand for awhile ...

Yep, HA quit working for me a long time ago, just struggled through most of my childhood, and HA in later adulthood but were basically useless and then, didnt help at all anymore eventually.
CI was a big jump.

I became total deafness after first grade teacher maxed the FM setting because I told her that I can't hear with 2-3 setting so she went from 3 to 10. It was very loud and I heard some for few minutes so it GONE, also I had very bad headache so I told FM at 10 won't work anymore and she tried to bang FM on table to fix it. It was one of cruelest teacher in my experience.

agree, the measly pennies they give me compared to the thousands I made per month is a drop in the bucket, it was hard the first year to adjust to that lifestyle change. Getting injured severely or any medical disabilities are dramatic changes to anyone.

Of course, it isn't fun to have medical issues that I experienced. :(

Back