People are shouting at me

No recruitment with CI? When you take the outside piece off, are you in blissful silence?

Did you just get new hearing aids? or have you worn hearing aids before? because if you haven't worn a hearing aid before then you're probably not used to the noise surrounding you. I would wear them a day or two to try and get used to it. My mom used to tell me that when i was a little girl, i was about 3 years old. And i just got my new set of hearing aids. And i didn't like wearing them because of the noise. I would hide them under a chair, my bed, anywhere. My mom would become so frantic because she would be scared that my dogs would eat my brand new set of hearing aids. But since i worn my hearing aids (not anymore up to this point) i pretty much got used to wearing them.

If you have worn them before, maybe you should get your hearing aid programs adjusted from your audiologist. That way the noise won't be really sensitive for you. Ask your audiologist what kind of programs that are available to your hearing aid that would adjust to the noise automatically like being in a loud environment-- your hearing aid would turn down for you. If you're in a soft environment your hearing aid would turn up but not too loud. Thats what my hearing aid had when i was wearing it. But i would suggest going to your audiologist for any more information that you might need for your hearing aid.

Good point, coolgirl. If the hearing aids were new, wouldn't the audi start a person on less than full volume? My audi started my HAs on low and then slowly turned up the volume over two more sessions. YMMV.

Good point, coolgirl. If the hearing aids were new, wouldn't the audi start a person on less than full volume? My audi started my HAs on low and then slowly turned up the volume over two more sessions. YMMV.

YMMV= You Must Mean Veracity?????? :hmm:

"Your mileage may very" meaning that other people may have had different experiences.

No recruitment with CI? When you take the outside piece off, are you in blissful silence?

You can't have recruitment without the stimulus of sounds. It is different with tinnitus which can occur with or without noise.

As a rule, having a CI generally eliminates recruitment. The reason pertains to the fact that the electrode stimulates a broad spectrum of frequencies in the cochlea. There is no crossover issues with the different stimulus points. Recruitment is sort of a feedback loop where each and every cochlear hair tries to do their job and everybody's else nearby.

Thanks for explaining that. Now I understand. :wave:

None at all with CI. I may get tinnitus or musical ear syndrome but it goes away when I put on my CI.

What, Beowulf? If you read the article on recruitment, it makes sense.

Back