Peers suck

fluidbutterfly11

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am deaf/hard of hearing and one of the major problems I am facing right now as a college student is that I recently found that my classmates are really sweet and good friends to my face but behind my back, they discuss/talk about my "listening" problem. Let me be clear, I never told them outrightly I am d/hoh, they figured it out themselves because it's visible or maybe by the way I interact( I ask them to repeat certain things sometimes).... I just wished they talked or asked me about it rather than judging me. I know you would probably say to start speaking up about it, advocate for myself but I don't feel comfortable speaking about my d/hoh to strangers unless we vibe or there's a possibility of a friendship (people who are genuinely nice and close to me know about my disability, partly because I told them or they asked me when they observed)

This is so incredibly isolating and I don't know how to deal with this alone

Hi there, you're not alone. I think many of us go through the same thing, including myself. It can be frustrating and sometimes it hurts. The only advice I can give you is to learn to ignore them. It will take some getting used to, but once you learn how and when to do it, you'll forget about it and move on as if it never happened.

Hey guys, I am deaf/hard of hearing and one of the major problems I am facing right now as a college student is that I recently found that my classmates are really sweet and good friends to my face but behind my back, they discuss/talk about my "listening" problem. Let me be clear, I never told them outrightly I am d/hoh, they figured it out themselves because it's visible or maybe by the way I interact( I ask them to repeat certain things sometimes).... I just wished they talked or asked me about it rather than judging me. I know you would probably say to start speaking up about it, advocate for myself but I don't feel comfortable speaking about my d/hoh to strangers unless we vibe or there's a possibility of a friendship (people who are genuinely nice and close to me know about my disability, partly because I told them or they asked me when they observed)

Hi, I have no advice to offer but I am very sorry that you're going through this.

Without hearing aids ( I presumably that you do use them ) you are completely deaf?

You deaf how long? Try going voice off, took me (I don't know) year probably more to become comfortable but now people know to look at me or not to bother

I am so sorry to hear that, I started learning ASL in college (just graduated this year) and I couldn't imagine anyone speaking poorly on those who are d/hoh behind their bacl. Is there a ASL club on your campus or facilities that promote inclusion in that sense? There are always people looking to learn ASL and espically students who want to incude those who feel excluded and educate those who are unaware. I hope it all goes well.

Back