Peer Relationships of Children With Cochlear Implants

Status
Not open for further replies.
samantha'smom, that's SO damn awesome that you're realizing that social inclusion can also be a big issue. Despite what SOME people may think, social emoitional issues CAN and do contribuate significently to sucess in school.

:ty:

Please..If you have the time, post a link. I'd love to read more.

If I post a link, it will take you to a site that will charge you for the research. However, I would be happy to email you copies. I often share research with other AD members this way. You can't PM me yet, because you are still under 100 posts, but if you will leave a visitor message on my profile with you email address, I'll save it to my computer, and then erase the message so you don't have you email address posted publicly.

samantha'smom!!!

I have just been corrected by another member: it is not 100 posts to be able to PM as it used to be, it has been changed to 50 posts. Thank goodness someone saw this and let me know. So just make 2 more posts, and then you can PM me with your email, and it will be confidential.

samantha'smom!!!

I have just been corrected by another member: it is not 100 posts to be able to PM as it used to be, it has been changed to 50 posts. Thank goodness someone saw this and let me know. So just make 2 more posts, and then you can PM me with your email, and it will be confidential.

This should be it!!! Thanks for letting me know, I've been trying to get the number up...:lol:

This should be it!!! Thanks for letting me know, I've been trying to get the number up...:lol:

Congratulations! Maybe you should :giggle:consider joining us in the postwhores club! Shel and I are proud members.

Congratulations! Maybe you should :giggle:consider joining us in the postwhores club! Shel and I are proud members.

:bowdown: Prolly will NEVER get there!

SPOT ON with the article. It absolutely hit on every one of the problems I have been noticing. See post #366.

I DO realize that there are CI children out there who seem to be doing really well with their implants. I in no way am trying to take anything away from them. I also am glad that we had her implanted, she loves hearing. However, I am trying to say that the whole mainstream thing does not seem right for my child and i do not think that it ever occured to me in the beginning that one day I would be in this position. (Call it my own ignorance)

parents will always be under the illusion that ha's and ci's will cure their child's deafness.

It pains a lot of hearing parents that their child is deaf. So much so that they will be denial of the situation. Its not a big deal to be deaf. It is a big deal when the deaf child is denied any access to language.

I hope its not like that with kids with ci's. The isolation and lonelyness is brutal

Doug5 - I couldn't agree more. So, now I have to fix this mess!

:bowdown: Prolly will NEVER get there!

SPOT ON with the article. It absolutely hit on every one of the problems I have been noticing. See post #366.

I DO realize that there are CI children out there who seem to be doing really well with their implants. I in no way am trying to take anything away from them. I also am glad that we had her implanted, she loves hearing. However, I am trying to say that the whole mainstream thing does not seem right for my child and i do not think that it ever occured to me in the beginning that one day I would be in this position. (Call it my own ignorance)

Doug5 - I couldn't agree more. So, now I have to fix this mess!

Glad you found the article useful. I personally thought there was quite a bit of interesting information there.

BTW, I wouldn't call it "ignorance", really, in your case. Just something that hadn't occurred and therefore, you hadn't considered. We all get blindsided from time to time when things happen that are unforseen.

I found this while browsing around on the subject. It appears to suggest that a CI can actually help with social interactions.

Longitudinal improvements in communication and socialization of deaf children with cochlear implants and hearing aids

[My paper] Yael Bat-Chava, Daniela Martin, Joseph G Kosciw
New York University School of Medicine, NYU Child Study Center, New York, USA.
Background: Research has shown that the cochlear implant may improve deaf children's speech and communication skills. However, little is known about its effect on children's ability to socialize with hearing peers. Methods: Using a standardized psychological measure completed by parents and a longitudinal design, this study examined the development of communication, socialization, and daily living skills of children who used hearing aids or cochlear implants for an average of 11 and 6 years, respectively. Results: Results show that children with cochlear implants, who were more delayed than children with hearing aids at the outset, made significant progress over time. Children with both devices achieved age-appropriate development after years of hearing aid or cochlear implant use. Conclusions: The pattern of results suggests that cochlear implants may be effective in improving deaf children's communication and social skills.
Source: http://lib.bioinfo.pl/auth:Bat-Chava,Y

I found this while browsing around on the subject. It appears to suggest that a CI can actually help with social interactions.

I've read the whole article. It suggests nothing of the kind. It states very clearly that they may be helpful, but there is nothing conlcusive to suggest that they are.

I've read the whole article. It suggests nothing of the kind. It states very clearly that they may be helpful, but there is nothing conlcusive to suggest that they are.
Conclusions: The pattern of results suggests that cochlear implants may be effective in improving deaf children's communication and social skills.

Here is another that says interaction was best when some signing is used.
Within the framework of a longitudinal study of deaf children with cochlear implants, 11 children with implants were interviewed. The objective was to shed light on what it is like for a child to use a cochlear implant, based on these children's own experience with implants, which ranged from 5.0 to 7.5 years. Six of the children were in schools for the deaf, five in regular classes. All but one used an implant daily. The children appreciated that an implant enabled them to perceive sounds in the environment. Some of the children in regular classes could take part in one-to-one conversations with teachers but had difficulty following teaching and discussions. This observation was consistent with what the children's parents and teachers had maintained. Peer interaction was said to be best when other children had the use of at least some signs. (Contains 2 tables.)

Conclusions: The pattern of results suggests that cochlear implants may be effective in improving deaf children's communication and social skills.

Yes, RD. That statement says nothing about peer interactions, and peer interactions are dependent on more than improved communication and social skills. And what you have posted is an abstract. If you will read and analyse the entire article, you will discover concepts such as "significant improvement" and "effects of improvement". Likewise, the absract has an obvious problem with the instrument of measurement, but you have seemed to overlook that.

Yes, RD. That statement says nothing about peer interactions, and peer interactions are dependent on more than improved communication and social skills. And what you have posted is an abstract. If you will read and analyse the entire article, you will discover concepts such as "significant improvement" and "effects of improvement". Likewise, the absract has an obvious problem with the instrument of measurement, but you have seemed to overlook that.
Can you elaborate on your definition of interaction. I think we can agree on what a peer is.

Can you elaborate on your definition of interaction. I think we can agree on what a peer is.

Social relationships, friendships, educational interaction of equal levels, etc, etc. Interaction is fairly self expalanatory. Improved communication and social skills from a CI does not necessarily lead to greater interaction, and therefore, it cannot be supported that a CI contributes significantly to psychosocial adjustment.

If you will read the entire article, as well as others that are available, this will become clear.

Social relationships, friendships, educational interaction of equal levels, etc, etc. Interaction is fairly self expalanatory. Improved communication and social skills from a CI does not necessarily lead to greater interaction, and therefore, it cannot be supported that a CI contributes significantly to psychosocial adjustment.

If you will read the entire article, as well as others that are available, this will become clear.
I don't have access to the entire article. Perhaps I should have used the word "may" as they did in the abstract.

I don't have access to the entire article. Perhaps I should have used the word "may" as they did in the abstract.

If I am not mistaken, over a week ago, I offered to access the articles that you did not have access to, and you failed to take me up on my offer.

If I am not mistaken, over a week ago, I offered to access the articles that you did not have access to, and you failed to take me up on my offer.
It was one article and I don't believe it's the same one. If you can provide me access why not just post it here so we may all benefit from it

Confirmed: It's not the same article... see your post #321

Hey, RD!

I found you an article from 2007 in the Journal of Deaf Studies and Education on Social Integration in the mainstream.

The Marschark article I was thinking of addresses more of academic achievement issues, but is applicable as delays in academic funtioning correlate with delays in social development because of the language issues in both.

I can't provide a link to either article. I do, however, have electronic copies of both that I was able to obtain with my university library log in. If you will PM me, I will be happy to email you both in an attachment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back