Peer Relationships of Children With Cochlear Implants

Status
Not open for further replies.
So true...

My brother brought his date over last night. Was my first time meeting her. She was born and raised in CA attending CSDR...she is highly educated being fluent in 4 languages...French, Spanish, English and ASL...I asked her where did she learn all these languages and she said from CSDR's International program. So much for a low education? I also asked her about the dorms since she lived in the dorms if there were any sex abuse. She graduated in 96 and she was like "What?!" when I told her that some people outside of CSDR are saying that there are sex abuse problems there. She laughed and was like "Are u joking me?" Interesting...

BTW, she is attending Univerity of Colorado so like I said before, the kids who perform lower are those who have been language delayed in their early years hence were "dumped" at the deaf schools after falling behind in the public schools.

:gpost::gpost:

Shel, with respect to the commentary on the sex abuses at CSDR, I believe I mentioned a long time ago here or in a PM to you that the allegation is/was wayyyyy overblown. Having worked there for 35 years, I will concede that there were five or less isolated instances of this kind of behavior and they were dealt with quickly. There was no instance where something like that kind of behavior went on for a long time. So I'm glad you met this gal....

When I hear any rumors or allegations, I like to ask people who were former dorm students at any Deaf schools if any of the rumors are true than rely on ADer's posts here claiming they heard it thru a 3rd party. If she had said yes, there were sex abuse, then I would ask her what did the administration do to handle it and how have policies changed to protect students much better but since she looked at me like I was crazy..LOL!

My brother did admit that at his deaf school in the 70s and 80s when he was a kid, there was only 1 old lady teacher-aide supervising all of the elementary classes from 1st to 6th grade during recess...holy cow, I wouldnt be surprised if there were problems at the time!!! :eek: Then he said when he returned there to work as a staff in 2004, things were much much much different and much better regulated. He said there was 2 teacher aides supervising each grade level as opposed to one for all grade levels.

Obviously, things are more carefully monitored so my point is that I have seen different dorms during my internships and practicums...very heavily supervised. Staff members arent allowed to be alone with any students at any time.

I was replying to your statement regarding your students. There was not a question there, just a statement comparing children with LD and cognitive delays to deaf children on the issue of language delays. I stand by my statement: you cannot compare the 2. There are very different issues. Just as you don't emplopy the methodology used for children with cognitive delays to teach deaf children, you cannot compare the ways to remediate their language delays as they do not have the same eitiology.

And I might caution you to employ some of that respect of which you speak. My post was nothing more than a statement of fact; your reply was a personal attack.

Having been thru two different teacher taining programs, those who have a degree in special ed are more likely trained to employ the same methodology used for children with cognitive delays to teach deaf children because special education doesnt really cover Deaf ed in-depth. I have a BA in Special ED and a MA in Deaf Ed...boy, both were very very very different from each other.

When I hear any rumors or allegations, I like to ask people who were former dorm students at any Deaf schools if any of the rumors are true than rely on ADer's posts here claiming they heard it thru a 3rd party. If she had said yes, there were sex abuse, then I would ask her what did the administration do to handle it and how have policies changed to protect students much better but since she looked at me like I was crazy..LOL!

My brother did admit that at his deaf school in the 70s and 80s when he was a kid, there was only 1 old lady teacher-aide supervising all of the elementary classes from 1st to 6th grade during recess...holy cow, I wouldnt be surprised if there were problems at the time!!! :eek: Then he said when he returned there to work as a staff in 2004, things were much much much different and much better regulated. He said there was 2 teacher aides supervising each grade level as opposed to one for all grade levels.

Obviously, things are more carefully monitored so my point is that I have seen different dorms during my internships and practicums...very heavily supervised. Staff members arent allowed to be alone with any students at any time.

Yeah, I understand. Just to be clear, were you referring to me under, "....than rely on ADer's poste here...."?

Yeah, I understand. Just to be clear, were you referring to me under, "....than rely on ADer's poste here...."?

No...referring to another thread made last year and all the accusations about CSDR and then this one about sex abuse at Deaf schools in general. My point is that it seems that many people who want to justify reasons for not sending their kids to Deaf schools due to abuse rely on 3rd person parties. I hope that makes sense. U worked there so I would take your word for it but like me, who has never worked there, to say that I heard thru the grapevine that there were sex abuse is not as reliable as coming from people who were actual students or staff there. Hope that makes sense?

Having been thru two different teacher taining programs, those who have a degree in special ed are more likely trained to employ the same methodology used for children with cognitive delays to teach deaf children because special education doesnt really cover Deaf ed in-depth. I have a BA in Special ED and a MA in Deaf Ed...boy, both were very very very different from each other.

My point exactly. To assume that the same methodologies used to remediate language delays in children with cognitive problems and learning disorders can be employed to teach deaf kids is just another reason why the mainstream is horribly inadequate in addressing the specific needs of the deaf child.

That is why I asked a question. Jillio, respect this thread, and respect that someone of us are trying to learn and just not from you. It was so peaceful without you the last day.

So true, so true but just like summer all good things must come to an end!

But look on the bright side, Jackie is now back!
Take care,
Rick

Let's stick to the topic.

Peer relationships of mainstreamed deaf children.

Arguments supporting the integration of deaf pupils in mainstream schools are often based on possible cognitive gains. We suggest that integration should also be assessed considering its social consequences for pupils. If deaf pupils are rejected or feel isolated in mainstream schools, their education may ultimately suffer.

We investigated the social adaptation of nine deaf pupils in two mainstream schools using three methods: peer ratings, sociometric status and interviews.
The average peer ratings received by deaf pupils were not significantly different from those of hearing pupils. Thus they were not more disliked by their peers. However, deaf pupils were significantly more likely to be neglected by their peers and less likely to have a friend in the classroom. Hearing pupils who were friends of deaf pupils described their friendship as involving pro-social functions whereas many who had no deaf friends found communication barriers an obstacle to friendship.

We conclude that, although deaf pupils are not rejected in mainstream schools, they may feel isolated. It is possible that schools can have a proactive role in helping hearing pupils learn how to overcome communication barriers and develop more positive attitudes towards deaf pupils.

The current policy of integration of pupils with special educational needs into
mainstream schools should be assessed in terms of its potential impact on pupils’ academic performance as well as its impact on their social adaptation.
The aim of this research was to analyse the social relationships of deaf pupils attending mainstream schools. Interviews with deaf adults about their past school experiences (Mertens, 1989) suggest that there is cause for concern for deaf children’s social adaptation in mainstream schools. Deaf adults who attended special schools have more positive memories of their school days than those educated in mainstream schools. Pupils who experienced both types of school environment often report a strong preference for special schools (Gregory,Bishop, & Sheldon, 1995). In a recent review of the literature, Musselman, Mootilal and MacKay (1996) concluded that, although not all results are equally negative, the preponderance of the evidence supports the conclusion that special schools for the deaf foster socio-emotional growth better than mainstream schools. Deaf students in mainstream schools report feeling socially isolated and lonely, and have lower self-esteem than those students in special schools.
These studies were conducted with adolescents, for whom the importance of social relations is widely acknowledged. Social adaptation is already very central in middlechildhood; Cole and Cole (2000), for example, point out that ??% of 11-12 year-olds’ time in Western industrialised societies is spent with friends. Difficulties in peer relations at this age could then result in feelings of loneliness and isolation. Thus we decided to investigate
peer relationships at the end of primary school. We also decided not to investigate social adjustment through self-reports but to use methods that involve both the deaf pupils and their peers. We know that these methods are reliable because: (a) pupils who are identified as rejected through these methods tend to maintain this status across grade levels; (b) more
rejected pupils report feelings of loneliness (Asher & Wheeler, 1985) and show poorer social adaptation later (Coie & Dodge, 1983). But not all children who are rejected by their peers are aware of their negative social status (Asher, Hymel, & Renshaw, 1984). Thus it is desirable to complement information obtained in self-report studies with information obtained through other methods that take the peers’ perspective into account.

Finally, we believe that taking peers’ perspective into account is essential also
because a long-term aim of integration might be to develop more positive perceptions of pupils with special needs amongst their peers who have no special needs. Integration may not automatically result in the development of more positive attitudes by hearing pupils towards their deaf peers. Cambra (1997) observed more positive attitudes of hearing pupils towards the deaf in Spain as a function of having deaf peers but Owers (1996) reports conflicting results for England. This means that it is desirable to investigate the impact of deaf pupils’ integration on hearing children’s perceptions of their deaf peers. If integration does not automatically lead to positive results, research that furthers our knowledge of how to develop more positive attitudes amongst the hearing pupils is urgently needed.

Nunes, T., Pretzlik, U. & Ollson, J. (2006). Deaf childrens social relationships in mainstream schools. Deafness & Education International. 3 (3). pp123-136.

The topic is peer relationships with children with cochlear implants.

Arguments supporting the integration of deaf pupils in mainstream schools are often based on possible cognitive gains. We suggest that integration should also be assessed considering its social consequences for pupils. If deaf pupils are rejected or feel isolated in mainstream schools, their education may ultimately suffer.

We investigated the social adaptation of nine deaf pupils in two mainstream schools using three methods: peer ratings, sociometric status and interviews.
The average peer ratings received by deaf pupils were not significantly different from those of hearing pupils. Thus they were not more disliked by their peers. However, deaf pupils were significantly more likely to be neglected by their peers and less likely to have a friend in the classroom. Hearing pupils who were friends of deaf pupils described their friendship as involving pro-social functions whereas many who had no deaf friends found communication barriers an obstacle to friendship.

We conclude that, although deaf pupils are not rejected in mainstream schools, they may feel isolated. It is possible that schools can have a proactive role in helping hearing pupils learn how to overcome communication barriers and develop more positive attitudes towards deaf pupils.

The current policy of integration of pupils with special educational needs into
mainstream schools should be assessed in terms of its potential impact on pupils

I believe I mentioned a long time ago here or in a PM to you that the allegation is/was wayyyyy overblown. Having worked there for 35 years, I will concede that there were five or less isolated instances of this kind of behavior and they were dealt with quickly. There was no instance where something like that kind of behavior went on for a long time
Tousi, GOOD post! Things have SO changed, and most of the sex abuse issues were pretty much universal across insistutions. It wasn't just a "Deaf" thing.
It so doesn't surprise me that CI'd kids have significent social issues.
They are functionally hoh. A near universal problem is social issues........you wouldn't believe how common it is!

My response:

I did not, but please in the future if you want to ask me a question, just do so and afford me the courtesy and respect of answering instead of suggesting a possible response that I might use and thus painting me in advance with a position that I may not subscribe to.

I will note that the very questions you ask of ci parents contains one of the factors that we included in our cochlear implant decision for our child: that with the cochlear implant she would always have the option to choose not to use it later in life. The cochlear implant did and continues to give our daughter benefits and options she would not necessarily or as easily have if we chose not to give her the cochlear implant.
Rick

First, Holy Crow! This thread moves fast! I was on vacation so not checking as often as normal!

Second, I didn't add it for you. I added that for everyone. I have gotten that from a lot of parents I have asked that question to.

I would appreciate if you would treat me with the dignity and respect that you seem to demand in a very patronizing and condesending manor.

I may be Deaf but I was mainstreamed (without ASL supports) and I used my speech reading/oral skills to graduate high school. You know what? I was the first deaf student to graduate from my highschool, I was top of my graduating class with an average in the 90's, I received many scholarships and my first year is paid for from them. I was VERY successful in the mainstream. I do not regret anything I have been able to acheive because of it. I also am well aware that now, entering a huge lecture hall, I will be well beyond my capabilities as a speech reader and I will need to use ASL. I will get my degree, and I will use every tool in my toolbox to do so.

I would also like to add that I start at University of Toronto tomorrow!

First, Holy Crow! This thread moves fast! I was on vacation so not checking as often as normal!

Second, I didn't add it for you. I added that for everyone. I have gotten that from a lot of parents I have asked that question to.

I would appreciate if you would treat me with the dignity and respect that you seem to demand in a very patronizing and condesending manor.

I may be Deaf but I was mainstreamed (without ASL supports) and I used my speech reading/oral skills to graduate high school. You know what? I was the first deaf student to graduate from my highschool, I was top of my graduating class with an average in the 90's, I received many scholarships and my first year is paid for from them. I was VERY successful in the mainstream. I do not regret anything I have been able to acheive because of it. I also am well aware that now, entering a huge lecture hall, I will be well beyond my capabilities as a speech reader and I will need to use ASL. I will get my degree, and I will use every tool in my toolbox to do so.

Jenny,

Good luck in college and perhaps you got your first lesson that if you want dignity and respect then treat those you expect it from that way. I notice that rather then respond to any of the questions you asked of me, you proceeded to give us a list of your accomplishments, which while impressive, is non-responsive, but that was probably what you were seeking to tell us all along.
Rick

*gasp!* Really?

Hahahaha Shel!

When I asked my access advisor at U of T if there were other deaf students she said no, upon further questioning I found out there were a handful of students with CI's but they didn't count as being deaf apperently. Perhaps she thought I meant Deaf not deaf? Regardless I am the only undergrad at U of T that uses ASL to communicate...off topic though...kinda

Jenny,

Good luck in college and perhaps you got your first lesson that if you want dignity and respect then treat those you expect it from that way. I notice that rather then respond to any of the questions you asked of me, you proceeded to give us a list of your accomplishments, which while impressive, is non-responsive, but that was probably what you were seeking to tell us all along.
Rick

I can tell you that anyway. I feel a need to state my accomplishments because I am constantly battleing stereotypes for being a member of all of the minority groups of which I identify with.

How would you like me to respond to your post? Good for you! I'm glad! I know a lot of parents who have not given that choice.

As for treating people with dignity and respect, I am not even sure I want to get into that with you. Only you can be the change you wish to see in the world and I suppose it could be an evil cycle. You treat me poorly, then I will treat you poorly, and so on and so forth.

I suppose I sometimes get wrapped up in my activism mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back