Paul Meniere Question

dorothy5664

Reaction score
Don't know if this is the correct place or not, but was wondering how much anyone knows about Meniere's Disease. I am just wondering, because I've learned that it was named after Paul Meniere, who also seemed to have similar beliefs regarding the deaf as Alexandra Graham Bell. I am quoting Meniere in my ASL project and am curious to know what the Deaf Community in general thinks of him. To be honest, he doesn't really sound like someone who should have anything named after him.

Thanks!

Might want to double check your sources. Prosper Meniere is the person, and he studies the ear extensively in France in the early to mid 1800's.

Don't know if this is the correct place or not, but was wondering how much anyone knows about Meniere's Disease. I am just wondering, because I've learned that it was named after Paul Meniere, who also seemed to have similar beliefs regarding the deaf as Alexandra Graham Bell. I am quoting Meniere in my ASL project and am curious to know what the Deaf Community in general thinks of him. To be honest, he doesn't really sound like someone who should have anything named after him.

Thanks!

You should understand also, that the disease bears his name as he was the first person to identify it.

Before Meniere inner ear diseases were not known.

He is quite important in the world of medicine.

Bottesini,

That is why I was asking. Harlan Lane in "The Mask of Benevolence" quotes Meniere with saying, "The deaf believe that they are our equals in all respects. We should be generous and not destroy that illusion. But whatever they believe, deafness is an infirmity and we should repair it whether the person who has it is disturbed by it or not."

While he may be well respected in the medical field, this quote doesn't bode well for his opinions of the deaf. I'll keep researching to verify this quote and his feelings.

Thanks for your input.

Bottesini,

You are right, Meniere's opinions do reflect many of the opinions of the Deaf for that time period. I just wanted to make sure that I had my facts straight as I have been learning so much in doing my research. Such as I never knew about Alexander Graham Bell's "contribution" to the treatment and education of the Deaf. I also never realized that Thomas Edison was deaf. So, it would be fair to say that while Meniere's opinions of the Deaf are in line for his time period, he is still a well respected member of the medical community, and should be recognized as such.

Do you agree with my representing him in that light?

Bottesini,

You are right, Meniere's opinions do reflect many of the opinions of the Deaf for that time period. I just wanted to make sure that I had my facts straight as I have been learning so much in doing my research. Such as I never knew about Alexander Graham Bell's "contribution" to the treatment and education of the Deaf. I also never realized that Thomas Edison was deaf. So, it would be fair to say that while Meniere's opinions of the Deaf are in line for his time period, he is still a well respected member of the medical community, and should be recognized as such.

Do you agree with my representing him in that light?

My opinion it would be correct. You understand Harlan Lane is pretty controversial in his views right?

I would be likely to support his views, but here is a little of Lane's philosophy for you.

 How to interact with hearing people
 Kinship
o Although there is no “land of the ancestors,” there are lands that the Deaf feel a connection
to:
 Residential schools
 Gallaudet (especially since the “Gallaudet revolution”)
• In 1988, a student protest led to the selection of Gallaudet University’s first
deaf president
 Deaf clubs
 Desire for a “utopia,” “a land of our own,” where everyone speaks ASL
o Strong sense of solidarity
o Link to the past, socialization, even though it is typically not done from parent to child
 Deaf adults
 Peer socialization, especially at residential schools
o Biological similarity
o Distinct boundary from the Hearing world

Bottesini,

That is why I was asking. Harlan Lane in "The Mask of Benevolence" quotes Meniere with saying, "The deaf believe that they are our equals in all respects. We should be generous and not destroy that illusion. But whatever they believe, deafness is an infirmity and we should repair it whether the person who has it is disturbed by it or not."

Keep him in perspective for his time. I believe he died in 1861

Gallaudet College was founded in 1864.

Meniere was a native of Poughkeepsie, New York.

So even before Gallaudet was founded there was a Deaf community in the U. S. with its own culture and pride in itself and its abilities.

This seems to me like a reasonable conclusion.

So even before Gallaudet was founded there was a Deaf community in the U. S. with its own culture and pride in itself and its abilities.

WHat are you talking about?

Thank you for your help, and I thought I was pretty much done researching. I wish I could post my presentation for comments, but it exceeds the limit for attachments.

Meniere was French and the question is about whether he deserves credit for his medical research.

Harlan Lane has views on cochlear implants and deaf mixing with hearing that actually should prevent me from trying to explain anything to you.

I was trying to point out to her that Lane's views are not everyones.

Bottesini,

Didn't mean to start any disagreements.

You did not. Berry seems to like to come in everywhere to say I am wrong. I am getting a bit tired of it.

For you I just wanted you to be aware that Lane is not the last word and you should obtain more sources.

WHat are you talking about?

Things I've read would tend to indicate there was little or no contact among Deaf people in the U.S. until Galluadet brought them together. Most things I've read would indicate there was no common language or culture among Deaf people until then.

Yet the statements dorothy5664 attributes to Meniere were made before Galluadet was founded.

To me that statement indicates the presence of culture, pride, and language -- prior to the existence of Galluadet.

Things I've read would tend to indicate there was little or no contact among Deaf people in the U.S. until Galluadet brought them together. Most things I've read would indicate there was no common language or culture among Deaf people until then.

Yet the statements dorothy5664 attributes to Meniere were made before Galluadet was founded.

To me that statement indicates the presence of culture, pride, and language -- prior to the existence of Galluadet.

It is completely off topic!

Go start a thread on that if you want.

pix or it didn't happen

You did not. Berry seems to like to come in everywhere to say I am wrong. I am getting a bit tired of it.

Ooops. Sorry that is your impression. In this thread I was making an observation and asking about its validity. For some reason I was under the impression Meniere was a native of New York state, not France.

Actually I only remember one point I really disagreed with you on. And that was in a post where I agreed with you on something like 3 out of 4 points.

Based on my research, I think there was a sense of pride in culture within the Deaf prior to the founding of Gallaudet University, particularly in Europe. Some of the information, or at least jumping off stages for my research came from the following link.

Timeline

It's like if I say "The sky is blue"

You are compelled to rush in and pontificate, "I believe the deaf community prefers strawberry pie!" :scratch:

Back