Partners

jokerlad

Reaction score
Is your partner be it wife, husband, girl/boyfriend deaf or hearing ?
And if they are the opposite to your hearing or lack of...how did you meet ?

My wife and myself are deaf so I don't count .

I disagree about you and your wife not counting, everyone has a story to tell about how they met .

I met my first husband who was hearing at the dormitory where I went to Seattle Central Community College in Seattle, Washington. He was on a different floor while I was in another different with mixed Deaf/Hard Of Hearing (HOH) (both men and women) floor. I was older than him (7 years older than him). I think we met in an elevator between floors. He was in work program while I was in Mental Health program at the college. We did get married but marriage was short only three years (1976 to 1979) before the divorce. My son told me that his father passed away in 2000. I was shocked.

Then I met my second husband who was Ojibwe (Anishinaabe) also hearing and I am Cree. I came to Manitoulin Island in Ontario, Canada in 1995. I had an apartment on First Nation Reserve and went to Catholic church and then have breakfast at the restaurant at the complex. Then after that, I was walking to my apartment when my future husband came up to meet me like cross the path. We got to talking and I told him that I am Deaf. He was taken aback (surprised). I told him that I live down the road to the apartment (Apartment name). He knew where it was. So we said good bye. Later in the late afternoon on the same day, he came to my place and want to talk with me. I told him we can if we can have coffee together and chat, but I also use paper and pen to communicate if I could not understand him with lipreading. That is how we get connected without no sex or romantic. We just liked each other so much that we want to stay together. That was almost at the end of 1995. Then we got married in October 1997. Communication with my husband was kind hard to understand every now and then. But we stick with each other no matter what. We had been married for 15 years a lot better than my first husband. He passed away of liver damage and other health issues. He died in June of 2012. He was my love for long time. We would remained together for many years but his life was cut short. So I miss him.

I don't know why I was married to two hearing men. I tried to have relationship with Deaf men. In the past when I was in high school, I had dated couple of Deaf men but these does not work out for us. After school, I just want to be friends with Deaf men, not serious with them until if I feel the romantic and love interest in them. But it never happen. :(

I was born Deaf; boyfriend of 20 years is hearing. It takes work--but then, I think all relationships do, maybe ours just more so. We met through living in the same condo complex years ago.

Back