Part 1 finished

Behappy

Reaction score
I had the implant surgery last Tuesday 11/21, so now I am on my way to electronic ear.
I have been wearing HA's for 20+ years and my hearing has steadily degraded. 2 years ago I started researching cochlear implants (because my insurance covers them). My audi at the time told me that I was not yet a candidate and I needed a pair of high end HA's (paid for out of my pocket).

After 1 year of twice monthly adjustments, they retested my hearing and magically I am now a candidate. ( I also got to a new audiologist)
As the other poster noted, I have studied everything for almost two years and was still kinda nervous surgery day. They kept me in pre-op 2 hours more because of an emergency, no big thing for me. Then they came in and said they were going to start. They put a shot in my IV...
and I woke up in recovery. They have 2 recovery stages, they kept me in recovery 1 for 2 hours (the usual is 1 hour), and my wife was having a fit. When they moved me into recovery 2, I could have visitors. I was still under the influence and I was having a time opening the eye toward the surgery. When I got my senses back, I realized my turban was on tight and pushing down on my eye.

We stayed in a hotel room on site because we had to see the doctor in the morning to remove the bandages. later that night my ear side was really sore, but I expected that. When we went in the next morning they took off the turban and what a relief! It wasn't pushing on my eye and my ear was folded over and the bandage was pushing on it. The doc that undid me said that was normal.

I have been home, the doc. said 2 weeks with no lifting, bending or heavy work (nurse Ratchet is making sure of that (just kidding)). Been having a dull head and ear ache and trying to not blow my nose or sneeze. The sofa has been my friend, hoping to start getting out soon. Can't wait until Aday!

It is going to get a lot better, I had my first installed on the 27th of October, due to be turned on Dec 19, The discomfort fades quickly having to be careful how you sleep not on that side is important, and you'll get the feeling back in your earlobes too. I remember when I first woke up I had a couple Interps hovering over me like protective bees, and boy was I high for those first couple days or a week even, I was able to start going back to the office after about a week.

Good luck I hope your recovery is expedient

Back