Parents want hearing school to get state funding

Does she use speech now? or use Sign language?

She uses speech. She refuses to learn sign and her memory retention will not allow her to remember the signs she learns. She knows a few basic ones that let me know she loves me, she's going to the bathroom, hungry, and going to bed.

Wirelessly posted

A said:
A relative of mine had an issue with swallowing. It affected his speech. I don't think the district paid for that type of therapy to help him with his speech therapy

Probably because that disability does not interfere with his ability to access to curriculum. he would not be eligible for special education.

Wirelessly posted

Probably because that disability does not interfere with his ability to access to curriculum. he would not be eligible for special education.

What? My younger daughter certainly qualified for speech therapy although she was perfectly able to access the curriculum.

So, say it would cost a school $50,000 to add ramps and an elevator to the school building. Should they not do it because it is just one child and the cost is too high? Of course not, the law dictates that the must.
That's not quite accurate.
Ramps and elevator would benifit the community as a WHOLE.
This sort of placement is akin to the situtuion that we have in MA, with one of the last remaining insistutions called Dever Developmental Center, which is specificly for severe/profound MR people. It costs a LOT of money to insistutionalize someone. It's cheaper to put them in a group home or an ICR. Yet there are relatives of residents fighting to keep the insisution open!?!?!
The fact of the matter is that if the student's oral skills aren't good enough to be mainstreamed around first grade, then perhaps they need to learn ASL or be put in a TC program! Yes, we've moved past the old days when oral first graders had severe or profound spoken language delays. But many oral kids STILL have significent delays (equal to hoh kids) Heck even many hoh kids still have significent spoken language and articualtion, pitch and volumne issues!
There is NOTHING, absolutly NOTHING keeping most oral kids from learning ASL as a second language. Even a lot of oral sucesses need to use 'terps in the classroom, since they do fine one on one but have difficulty in crowd situtions.

They were NOT in violation of the law. We checked. When will you figure it out. I hired attorneys to double check. Social Security even checked and said that the school was not required to do it since they did not have the funds or manpower to do so.

So, they wrote the IEP and then said "No, we won't do what we just agreed to in the meeting"? So, then you started a due process hearing? What did the hearing officer decide?

What? My younger daughter certainly qualified for speech therapy although she was perfectly able to access the curriculum.

It depends on the school. They can give you special ed for a speech issue, but the argument can be made that they don't have to.

So, they wrote the IEP and then said "No, we won't do what we just agreed to in the meeting"? So, then you started a due process hearing? What did the hearing officer decide?

I did not start a hearing. Nowhere did I say I started a hearing. I only had attorney double-check the requirements of the school district. Attorneys all said the school was not bound by the IEP as there was no way possible for a small town school with 2000 students in grades PreK-12 with only 1 (one) speech therapist to do what was required.

They did say that she could get what she needed by being put into the Fulton State School in Fulton Missouri. Since daughter had such severe separation anxiety disorder, that was not an option.

That's silly, the IEP wouldn't have gotten that far.

That's silly, the IEP wouldn't have gotten that far.

Right, they are only legally bound by what is agreed to in the IEP. SO if they don't write it, it doesn't have to happen. But once they do, they have to provide it.

You said that her IEP called for 12 hours of speech a week. If it was written in the IEP they legally MUST provide it. If it just a recommendation, then they don't.

12 hours of speech a week for that IEP would have been wasted. She was only at the school for a 1/2 day four days a week. That means she was at school for 16 hours a week. Having 12 hours weekly of speech would have not allowed her to have any school lessons at all and none of the other kids in the school would have any speech during those hours. Would have been inconsiderate of me to force the issue, when the LAW stated that the school was NOT REQUIRED to follow through. That was the judgement from the attorneys and social security. Social Security then took over and sent her to a Speech and Language Pathologist and paid the bill. We did that after she got out of her 1/2 day school. She spent 3 years in Preschool then moved to Kindergarten before I removed her from the public school system. All she learned was to change the diapers on twins who were wheelchair bound. She also helped one of them do wooden puzzles. That was it. She was 6 and did not know her alphabet or how to count. I couldn't get through to her. I decided to work full time with her and home school her. She jumped 3 years in the span of 2 years and was doing well and still taking speech in town.

Was your daughter in a specialized school for communication disorder? They usually help them with their speech WHILE they teach them about other subjects

about swallowing disorder that my relative had, He need more therapy than just speech therapy even though I know that some speech therapies help children develop swallowing ability. So that's why I didn't think they would cover it.

Was your daughter in a specialized school for communication disorder? They usually help them with their speech WHILE they teach them about other subjects

No, I wasn't very knowledgeable at the time. We went through First Steps and Head Start, then she was to start ECSE through the local public school. She never went to any special school or anything. I sometimes wish now, we had found something else, but "no use crying over spilled milk" as they say.

She's happy and doing pretty well. We still have major learning issues that were not known when she was that young. Her speech is pretty good until she is stressed, tired or rushed. Her biggest issues now are the learning disabilities and the lack of skills retention. We go from grades 2-3-4-5-6-7-3-5-2-3-4-5. It';s quite hard. We do a lot of review and repeat a lot of stuff. She is 16 and just struggles so much. She can cook simple meals, is learning how to do the laundry, cleans house and things like that. So she can be a good helper around the house, but I don't think she will be self-sufficient.

12 hours of speech a week for that IEP would have been wasted. She was only at the school for a 1/2 day four days a week. That means she was at school for 16 hours a week. Having 12 hours weekly of speech would have not allowed her to have any school lessons at all and none of the other kids in the school would have any speech during those hours. Would have been inconsiderate of me to force the issue, when the LAW stated that the school was NOT REQUIRED to follow through. That was the judgement from the attorneys and social security. Social Security then took over and sent her to a Speech and Language Pathologist and paid the bill. We did that after she got out of her 1/2 day school. She spent 3 years in Preschool then moved to Kindergarten before I removed her from the public school system. All she learned was to change the diapers on twins who were wheelchair bound. She also helped one of them do wooden puzzles. That was it. She was 6 and did not know her alphabet or how to count. I couldn't get through to her. I decided to work full time with her and home school her. She jumped 3 years in the span of 2 years and was doing well and still taking speech in town.

So, it was never written in the IEP, correct? Where didthe number 12 hours come from?

So, it was never written in the IEP, correct? Where didthe number 12 hours come from?

It was written in the IEP. I still have my copies. Where did you get that it wasn't?

There was also an area marked, services not available.

It was written in the IEP. I still have my copies. Where did you get that it wasn't?

Why would they suggest and agree to something, sign a legal document saying they will proide the services and then not do it? Why was it agreed to by you or them? If it wasn't going to happen, and you didn't want it to, and neither did they, why write it in the IEP?

Why would they suggest and agree to something, sign a legal document saying they will proide the services and then not do it? Why was it agreed to by you or them? If it wasn't going to happen, and you didn't want it to, and neither did they, why write it in the IEP?

It never said they would "provide the services", it only said they were "recommended services".

Who knows - maybe they changed the way they do them. This was a few years ago. (13 years)

It never said they would "provide the services", it only said they were "recommended services".

There is definatly a difference between what someone suggests as a recommendation and what the IEP team decides is appropriate and is signed as the legal IEP. If the team determines that a certain level of services is appropriate and needed by the child, and they write it into the IEP and it is signed off by the team, the IEP is a legal document that must be followed and the school is required to provide those services.

Back