Parents want hearing school to get state funding

Wirelessly posted

Ta da! you finally admit that they will contract with a private school!!! finally, some progress!

A private school that is on the list to contract as a last resort. The school in question in the OP is not on the list of contract schools. Their are contract services available to the child in the OP. The parents are simply refusing to use them because they want to send their child to a specific school that is not on the list of available ones. They need to get a grip and either take what is available or pay the tuition for the choice they make.:roll:

Who gets to decide what is appropriate and what isn't?

The school system makes that decision. If the parent disagrees with the recommendations made by the system, they have options available to them to protest that decision.

It does create a problem when private school for the oral deaf is right there near you, while another is about 50 or more miles is covered by state/district. You don't want to drop everything and move when you can just take her to THAT school. If there was no oral school around then it does make sense to move.
what doesn't make sense is if the district already covering a local oral school and the parent say "NO" to that school because she want her child go to a private school.

And that is the whole point of this. The parents have other options available and the school system will pay for those options. But they want to demand that their child go to a school that is not covered under the system. In that case, they need to pay.

The whole point is that the home district is NOT providing appropriate services! If they were people wouldn't be winning their court cases and schools wouldn't be paying for private tution.

Would thi fight even be taking place if it was 20 families fighting to have the school set up a bi-bi program? Or a parent fighting for an expensive residental placement at a state school for the Deaf?

did it happen in USA? If so, any information about it like links?

I d like to see parents to win the case if the case is vaild.

The whole point is that the home district is NOT providing appropriate services! If they were people wouldn't be winning their court cases and schools wouldn't be paying for private tution.

Would thi fight even be taking place if it was 20 families fighting to have the school set up a bi-bi program? Or a parent fighting for an expensive residental placement at a state school for the Deaf?

Wrong. The school district is simply refusing to pay for a particular private school that is not on the contract list. That doesn't equate to not providing appropriate services. There are oral programs available. Miss D has it right. These are demanding parents that think the rest of society owes their child a private school education at the taxpayers expense. Spoiled brats.

Again, you can't compare a bi-bi program to this case. If someone is fighting to get a bi-bi program started, it is because the services of a bi-bi program are not available in the area. This child has oral programs available. The same with a residential school for the Deaf. The fact of the matter is, these parents think the entire world is centered around them and their child. They have services available. They refuse to use the services that are available. This is blatant abuse of the concept of the ADA, and cases like this leave a sour taste in the mouths of educators and those responsible for enforcing the ADA, making it that much more difficult for eligible individuals to actually get the services they need.

Wrong. The school district is simply refusing to pay for a particular private school that is not on the contract list. That doesn't equate to not providing appropriate services. There are oral programs available. Miss D has it right. These are demanding parents that think the rest of society owes their child a private school education at the taxpayers expense. Spoiled brats.

Sounds like a bad case of self-entitlement.

I would, too. I will support any parent that is fighting for services that are not being provided. But that is not happening in this case. Services are available for this child. EI services ran out. The parents knew all along that the child would not be able to continue in this particular school after EI. They knew that the child would be transfered to another program. This is not a case of a child not being served. It is a case of greedy, selfish parents who had a child and don't want to take responsibility for educating her.

Sounds like a bad case of self-entitlement.

That is exactly what it is. Somehow they have gotten the attitude that their child is somehow entitled to more than any other deaf child in this country.

I would, too. I will support any parent that is fighting for services that are not being provided. But that is not happening in this case. Services are available for this child. EI services ran out. The parents knew all along that the child would not be able to continue in this particular school after EI. They knew that the child would be transfered to another program. This is not a case of a child not being served. It is a case of greedy, selfish parents who had a child and don't want to take responsibility for educating her.

yeah I know. That's why i asked for the links. Over the years, I was growing up, many parents tried to fight and they failed, then they moved out as to whether they liked the school's philosophy then lived there. I lost good friends of mine when we were childhood until i finally met them again during gallaudet year. I have never heard if those cases were happening at all. Since most of us know about it that won't be happening. But if there were the case that did win then i d love to read and find how did they do that, just for my benefit in the future.

In all three cases I linked to the parents won and the school had to pay for private school. Two of them are oral deaf students who then went to an oral deaf private shool. The other was a federal case that made the others possible.

Again, you can't compare a bi-bi program to this case. If someone is fighting to get a bi-bi program started, it is because the services of a bi-bi program are not available in the area. This child has oral programs available. The same with a residential school for the Deaf. The fact of the matter is, these parents think the entire world is centered around them and their child. They have services available. They refuse to use the services that are available. This is blatant abuse of the concept of the ADA, and cases like this leave a sour taste in the mouths of educators and those responsible for enforcing the ADA, making it that much more difficult for eligible individuals to actually get the services they need.

Clearly there were not appropriate oral programs available, because the parents won and their children attended the private school. Just like here, the kids attend a private school with taxpayer money because it is the only appropriate program.

(By the way, you changed you tune and are at least now admitting that schools do contract with private schools when a need is shown :D)

Clearly there were not appropriate oral programs available, because the parents won and their children attended the private school. Just like here, the kids attend a private school with taxpayer money because it is the only appropriate program.

(By the way, you changed you tune and are at least now admitting that schools do contract with private schools when a need is shown :D)

No, it is not clear at all. There obviously are appropriate oral programs available. Where do you think the other students go after they complete EI services? They go to the programs that are set up to serve them.

I didn't change my tune at all. You simply fail to understand the details of this particular case. When there is no other way to provide services in an area, a school system will contract with a private school. This is done all the time for a child that needs a signing environment. It is done bacause there is no other way to provide services for that child available in a reasonable distance from the child's home. That is not the case here. Services are available. The child has a program to attend that all the other oral deaf stuudents in the area attend. This is nothing more than a case of a parent thinking that their child is owed above and beyond what other children are receiving. It is a case of parents thinking that society owes them the best simply because they have a child that is deaf. The ADA provides that services will be made available. It does not provide that a parent can dictate how those services will be provided.

Tell me, FJ...what makes this child so much more deserving and special than all the other deaf children in the area that the taxpayers should shell out $24,000 a year just so she can attend a private school when there are other options available? Why should that money, that could be used for the educational expenses of several children, be used just so that this one child can attend a private school? That is what these parents are asking. It is unreasonable, self centered, and selfish.

In all three cases I linked to the parents won and the school had to pay for private school. Two of them are oral deaf students who then went to an oral deaf private shool. The other was a federal case that made the others possible.

You really need to go back and read the cases you presented. They are not applicable to this case at all.:roll: And you still haven't been able to find a case where a judge ordered a school district to pay for a private school education for a child when other appropriate services were available just because the parents wanted their kid to go to a private school.:cool2:

Oralism is offered at the mainstreamed schools.

I have no idea what your issue is.

Apples and oranges comparisons. She is trying to compare a situation where services are not available in an area to a situation where services are available, but the parents want something extra in the form of an expensive private school.

yeah I know. That's why i asked for the links. Over the years, I was growing up, many parents tried to fight and they failed, then they moved out as to whether they liked the school's philosophy then lived there. I lost good friends of mine when we were childhood until i finally met them again during gallaudet year. I have never heard if those cases were happening at all. Since most of us know about it that won't be happening. But if there were the case that did win then i d love to read and find how did they do that, just for my benefit in the future.

If it is still happening even in today's law, That's really unfair. It's just not right to tell deaf parents who are supporter of bi-bi to suck it up while oral-only win all the cases.

It is clearly ignorance of what an oral deaf education IS to think that it is the same as a mainstream education. It isn't, it isn't even close.

You really need to go back and read the cases you presented. They are not applicable to this case at all.:roll: And you still haven't been able to find a case where a judge ordered a school district to pay for a private school education for a child when other appropriate services were available just because the parents wanted their kid to go to a private school.:cool2:

I never said that private school should be allowed when there is an appropriate program available. I said over and over that schools should, and do, pay for private schools when an appropriate placement is NOT available.

It is clearly ignorance of what an oral deaf education IS to think that it is the same as a mainstream education. It isn't, it isn't even close.

Here we go again. You have been dealing with these issues for what? Four years or so? As a parent, not a professional. Shel was educated in an oral system, has a Master Degree in Deaf Ed., has worked in the field for many years, and yet you are trying to tell the expert what deaf ed is and isn't.:roll:

Back