Parent Networking Forum?

deafdyke

Reaction score
I think we need to have a forum espciallly for parents of kids who use ASL or who may be considering ASL for their kids. ASL and the whole Deaf-World has a certain reputation for cliquiness among hearing parents. Many hearing parents don't really feel too welcome in the whole Deaf world or on Deaf related messageboards, but they really do need to network with real live Deaf and hoh adults, rather then making a very important decision based on what an "expert" with a Ph.D says to do. I know the ramifications of having such a potentially votile forum as our debates on CIs and Sign vs. oral have shown, but on the other hand, I do think that it would be helpful to have such a forum.....I think part of the reason why many families are attracted to oral-only is b/c it seems very "family friendly" The Deaf World needs to become more family friendly if it is to survive!

Deafdyke, We need more people like you in this world! I'm a hearing parent and I love learning sign language and Deaf Culture. You're right, sometimes I feel like I'm sitting on the post, not really fitting in either place. Your posts are always so positive and right-on! If something gets going, I would participate. There is a parent list I'm on that has a lot of input from Deaf adults, and I also participate in Deaf Adult lists.

You beat me to the punch. I was going to suggest a Parenting Forum. My idea is a little different from yours. I thought that we should have something for deaf/hearing parents in regards to discipline, advice, stories, etc.

Back