ovarian cysts?!?

suicidegirl

Reaction score
i had a free ultrasound at a certain "pro-life" center (which is a completely different story) and during the ultrasound, the technican said that i had cysts on my right ovary?!?!? the idea completely weirds me out, because i like to think that i'm as healthy as a horse. the technican mentioned that it was completely normal and that it'd go away on it's own.

i've experienced pains around the right side of my lower abdomen and at first, i wrote it off as a side effect of pregnancy... but then i realized it was caused by the cyst. the pain isn't persistent, but when it pops up, it hurts and bothers me.

what worries me is that a friend of mine mentioned that her friend had an ovarian cyst and as a result, she lost a pregnancy at eighteen weeks. i do NOT want that happening to me! i'm hoping it's not a common scenario.

what's the approach towards ovarian cysts? are they left alone? or do they get removed? agggh! there's sooo many questions! i plan on bringing the cyst thing up when i see my midwife on the 26th, but meanwhile, i have to wait (which is the worst part)

if you've had experience with ovarian cysts, i'd like to hear your experiences.

I had one ovarian cyst removed in years ago. If u don't get it removed it will turn out to be maligated (sp?) cancer. I want u to take my advice to remove it or u will be sorry cuz u have the kids to raised.

My friend has ovarian cyst while she was pregnant with her first son. Had to removed it before he born. Now he is 16 yrs old and much alive.

Moondancer said:
I had one ovarian cyst removed in years ago. If u don't get it removed it will turn out to be maligated (sp?) cancer. I want u to take my advice to remove it or u will be sorry cuz u have the kids to raised.

My friend has ovarian cyst while she was pregnant with her first son. Had to removed it before he born. Now he is 16 yrs old and much alive.

yikes!!! i don't want that happening (cancer)!!!

thanks for sharing your experience... i apprecicate it.

suicidegirl said:
yikes!!! i don't want that happening (cancer)!!!

thanks for sharing your experience... i apprecicate it.

Ure welcome.. Women's health have more issues than men does. So take care of ur body and hope ure doing ur care with dr's advice. Take care and well.

Moondancer said:
I had one ovarian cyst removed in years ago. If u don't get it removed it will turn out to be maligated (sp?) cancer.

Er...not exactly true. Many cysts come and go and most will not turn into cancer.

Here is a link that will explain cysts better...cyst link

I know that but my another friend didnt make it to stay alive from getting the oviarian cancer but me and my pregnant friend made it though! Sri. I don't buy anything from website! I thanked to dr who saved my life than suffer.

I understand as one has to be careful of the internet but there is lots of good info to be found and can be very useful.

My wife had a cyst and endometriosis. It wasn't too bad at first but it got to the point that it bothered her more than not and er...other consequences (no, not cancer). We finally had it removed more for the endometriosis which is never good anyway. Fortunately, we already had our children and that wasn't an issue.

sr171soars said:
Er...not exactly true. Many cysts come and go and most will not turn into cancer.

Exactly, my mom had that too, and it went away ....

I would suggest you to talk to your doctor first and see what happens

sr171soars said:

thank you SO VERY much for the link. i should've googled for information, but i'm feeling rather lazy ;)

Ur wife is very lucky to have the kid (s) and I don't... I do want to have a kid or more. Its saddened news for me but I accepted and I realized that what is out there need my love to support the kids' wishes. God bless ur family.

Oy...ovarian cysts are NO fun...!

I had ovarian cysts...I had no idea until around thanksgiving of 2001, I went to a grocery store and all of a sudden I collapsed in the store...turned out my cyst ruptured.

And this kept up for about 2-3 years but I have not had another cyst rupture for maybe a couple of years...

For some women they do go away and for others they do not.

One form of treatment for the ovarian cysts (when you aren't pregnant) is usually the birth control pills...I forgot why, though.

I got Ovarian Cysts. My left Ovary got HUGE cyst in there because I didn't know about it and it didnt go away until when I was 19 years old, I became sick and become in pain very horrible, I thought it's appendix because my brother had it and got it removed. I went to the hosptial for that until they checked to seeing everything in my left side to making sure nothing wrong but they found out that I got cyst in my left ovary so they wanted to check on my right ovary and found that it have cyst, its size like a golf ball in my right ovary, odd thing is my right ovary does make cyst go away but my left ovary can't because it's already big, around 1/4 of ovary is empty with 3/4 full of cyst in the ovary. Then, they gave me the medicine for pain to get less until I went back to my parents' house and I saw the doctor and they suggested me to take the birth control, I admit to do that until left ovary, cyst is gone away already. I don't have to remove the ovary because cyst is gone. But, it will come back for sure no matter what it is, which it's normal for every woman to have that but if worse then it's not good. Also, my doctor warned me if my left ovary cyst wont go away, I better go to remove it quickly because if it continue grow so it will be "explode" so I might will get cancer or become serious ill. But, I don't have cysts in my ovarian right now, Im fine.

LuciaDisturbed said:
One form of treatment for the ovarian cysts (when you aren't pregnant) is usually the birth control pills...I forgot why, though.

Because it will help to heal cysts away, but not always perfect you know?

Sweetheart said:
Because it will help to heal cysts away, but not always perfect you know?

Yeah, something about preventing cysts that are already there from getting bigger and preventing new cysts from forming too, I think...

I am not on birth control now because I no longer get the cysts anymore...

LuciaDisturbed said:
Oy...ovarian cysts are NO fun...!

I had ovarian cysts...I had no idea until around thanksgiving of 2001, I went to a grocery store and all of a sudden I collapsed in the store...turned out my cyst ruptured.

And this kept up for about 2-3 years but I have not had another cyst rupture for maybe a couple of years...

For some women they do go away and for others they do not.

Good advice. As to your last point about the pill, I'm not entirely sure, either, but I believe it has to do with hormones. The ovaries are very susceptible to the influx of estrogen (most like breast cysts/tumors are). If you put the non-preg woman on the pill and regulate her hormones, you might be able to control the growth of ovarian cyst.

One another pt, Suicidegrl, I would not let anyone scare you into thinking that ovarian cysts are always dangerous. They're not! A cyst becomes problematic if it grows rapidly. If that happens, it can burst (as what happened to Lucia), and cause lots of problems that way. In most cases (like 80-90%), cysts are harmless and you just need to watch them. They rarely turn out to be cancerous.

I'd go get yourself rechecked, but I wouldn't freak out about it.

Oceanbreeze said:
One another pt, Suicidegrl, I would not let anyone scare you into thinking that ovarian cysts are always dangerous. They're not! A cyst becomes problematic if it grows rapidly. If that happens, it can burst (as what happened to Lucia), and cause lots of problems that way. In most cases (like 80-90%), cysts are harmless and you just need to watch them. They rarely turn out to be cancerous.

My first cyst did not grow rapidly...I suspect it had been building up for about two or three years because I recall my tummy and back area would always get very painful around the time of the month, and I chalked it up to cramps due to PMS....turned out it was the cyst growing...after that cyst burst, I felt soooooo much better! But still not fun because I kept getting cysts frequently for about 2-3 years...now I don't get them anymore.

LuciaDisturbed said:
My first cyst did not grow rapidly...I suspect it had been building up for about two or three years because I recall my tummy and back area would always get very painful around the time of the month, and I chalked it up to cramps due to PMS....turned out it was the cyst growing...after that cyst burst, I felt soooooo much better! But still not fun because I kept getting cysts frequently for about 2-3 years...now I don't get them anymore.

Yikes. I stand slightly corrected, then.

I know of only one person who had a cyst--My mom. She had both my sister and I very young, which was a good thing. At 26, she started having discomfort. She ignored it :ugh: Eventually, she couldn't anymore. Her cyst burst, and she ended up nearly bleeding to death. In order to take care of the problem, she had to have a partial hysterectomy.

Moral of story: Whether slow growing or not, if you have tummy discomfort, get your behind to your doctor for a check up!

My mom had both ovaries was cover with the cyst when I was a little. They had to remove it. So my mom couldn't have anymore kids after me.

LuciaDisturbed said:
Yeah, something about preventing cysts that are already there from getting bigger and preventing new cysts from forming too, I think...

I am not on birth control now because I no longer get the cysts anymore...

Yeppers, I agreed with you. You are so lucky, I have to stay on the birth control until I decide to getting babies :(

ofc i am on BC to prevent but my ob/gyn is watch it no worries

i know it can be problem but i am watching

Back