our story.

Does the little girl have a Primary Doctor? ...Surely, that doctor would do the referral. Even the schools give hearing tests to students if they suspect the child is not able to hear well....A school nurse would surely be able to help also...

You've waited a long time now....and seem to have more "patience" than I would ever have......as I would raise holy hell if something like this happened to my child...

I cannot fathom seeing a ittle girl "cupping her ear" to be able to hear!...Like some old person....

she does have a pediatrician, and an appointment in 2 weeks. sure the she could do a referral, but medicaid will not cover an ENT with out cronic earinfections, which shes not getting. and i plan on filing an appeal on wednesday
and the school did do a hearing test, and she failed, THATS how i got her into an audiologist..
from 2009 till just the past few months her hearing loss was only mild. i only had to barely raise my voice to talk to her if there was alot of background noise. and she was fine in school, she only had two instances where she "wasnt listening" in music class.
its only been since mid september or so that i noticed a marked drastic decrease in her hearing. and its gotten worse the past month. when i talk to her from across the room unless i yell. she cant hear me. she has to be standing right by me, and she still leans her better ear towards me. if there is alot of other noise i have to speak directly in her ear.

she does have a pediatrician, and an appointment in 2 weeks. sure the she could do a referral, but medicaid will not cover an ENT with out cronic earinfections, which shes not getting. and i plan on filing an appeal on wednesday
and the school did do a hearing test, and she failed, THATS how i got her into an audiologist..
from 2009 till just the past few months her hearing loss was only mild. i only had to barely raise my voice to talk to her if there was alot of background noise. and she was fine in school, she only had two instances where she "wasnt listening" in music class.
its only been since mid september or so that i noticed a marked drastic decrease in her hearing. and its gotten worse the past month. when i talk to her from across the room unless i yell. she cant hear me. she has to be standing right by me, and she still leans her better ear towards me. if there is alot of other noise i have to speak directly in her ear.

Honestly, I'd see if you can get back into the Audie first ... she needs another complete Audiogram and hearing assessment (which is an Audiologist's job, not and ENT's).

Also make sure whichever audiologist you see has at least a doctorate in Audiology (AuD.)

If you have to pay out of pocket to get her to the correct Audiologist, do it.

Well, all I can say is...if it were my child and she was on Medicaid and they would not pay.....then I would take her to another doctor...I just can't see why $$ should take precedence over something as bad as this.....Work out a payment plan....What State do you live in?.....(as was asked of you before)....

Well, all I can say is...if it were my child and she was on Medicaid and they would not pay.....then I would take her to another doctor...I just can't see why $$ should take precedence over something as bad as this.....Work out a payment plan....What State do you live in?.....(as was asked of you before)....

we live in texas. about two hours outside of the dfw metroplex.
and do you think if i had the money to take her to another doctor i would do it. i would take her to every doctor in the state until i found one that i was satisfied with..
im not sure if its your intention to imply that i have been neglectful. but im kinda getting that feeling. i can assure you ive done everything in my power to get proper care for her. but with all the politics, and red tape from insurance companies. (she was formerly on humana and i didnt get any further with them)
when her ENT in 2009 suggested she get allergy tested, and shots. that would lessen the already low risk she had of losing more hearing, i sold my car and took out a loan to pay for it. you wouldnt know that because i didnt mention it. and i hardly think any one has room to judge my decisions as a monther.
i found this board and thought it would be a good place to meet other people in the dhh community, not knowing i would be judged and chastised.

we live in texas. about two hours outside of the dfw metroplex.
and do you think if i had the money to take her to another doctor i would do it. i would take her to every doctor in the state until i found one that i was satisfied with..
im not sure if its your intention to imply that i have been neglectful. but im kinda getting that feeling. i can assure you ive done everything in my power to get proper care for her. but with all the politics, and red tape from insurance companies. (she was formerly on humana and i didnt get any further with them)
when her ENT in 2009 suggested she get allergy tested, and shots. that would lessen the already low risk she had of losing more hearing, i sold my car and took out a loan to pay for it. you wouldnt know that because i didnt mention it. and i hardly think any one has room to judge my decisions as a monther.
i found this board and thought it would be a good place to meet other people in the dhh community, not knowing i would be judged and chastised.

No ear infections... Brain tumors can do the same thing. Medical care and finding out the cause should take precedence right now.

The hearing loss is a symptom of something.

Why am I not surprised? Keep fighting and still contact the deaf school for support even if your child wont attend there. I am sure they can give you information on deaf programs to help meet her needs.

Yes, this. The resources and help that a Deaf School can offer and direct you towards are really good..........Maybe when she is a little older she could go to summer school/summer camp there! And yes.....hopefully you're not in an "either or" state, and there are dhh programs.

The local schools would be the location of a dhh program.

This sounds like a very neglectful parent who wants to raise a deaf kid.

But while I am going to overlook your insulting attitude, our discussion of this matter will go no further.

Botti, sorry but you used the wrong terminology especially for a new parent. Local schools is usually interpreted to mean neighborhood schools. Meaning inclusion I did tell her to look into a dhh program. It might be up to an hour away, which would make it NOT local. .....I do agree that a lot, if not most HOH kids could benefit from dhh program, as opposed to local school inclusion.

Botti, sorry but you used the wrong terminology especially for a new parent. Local schools is usually interpreted to mean neighborhood schools. Meaning inclusion I did tell her to look into a dhh program. It might be up to an hour away, which would make it NOT local. .....I do agree that a lot, if not most HOH kids could benefit from dhh program, as opposed to local school inclusion.

Shut up.

You are just full of it.

I would think an MRI and/or CT scan should have been done by now. IMO

rockin'robin said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Courtneydang

I live in texas, about two hours from dallas. I haven't been here very long.

Im not sure if it you are intending to imply that I'm being neglectful but I can assure you, I have done everything in my means to get her needs met. I had her at the audiologist less than ten days after I had the referral from her school. I came to this forum to perhaps get advise from other families who have similar hardships. Not to be judged and chastised for not doing what you hypothetically would have done in my position.
Do you think if I had the financial ability to take her to every doctor in the state if thats what it took?

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

deafdyke said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by shel90

Why am I not surprised? Keep fighting and still contact the deaf school for support even if your child wont attend there. I am sure they can give you information on deaf programs to help meet her needs.

Yes, this. The resources and help that a Deaf School can offer and direct you towards are really good..........Maybe when she is a little older she could go to summer school/summer camp there! And yes.....hopefully you're not in an "either or" state, and there are dhh programs.

I didnt think to call the deaf school since its nearly 6 hours away, there is a special needs charter school in our district, ill give them a call after break. but if we have to move to austin to be sure she gets the right help and treatments, thats what we'll do.

Im not sure if it you are intending to imply that I'm being neglectful but I can assure you, I have done everything in my means to get her needs met. I had her at the audiologist less than ten days after I had the referral from her school. I came to this forum to perhaps get advise from other families who have similar hardships. Not to be judged and chastised for not doing what you hypothetically would have done in my position.
Do you think if I had the financial ability to take her to every doctor in the state if thats what it took?

I wasn't aware that there was a Deaf School in Dallas. Or do you mean that charter school that has/had a strong dhh program? Contact Texas School for the Deaf and see if they can point you towards regional dhh programs.I know Texas offers a lot..Texas School for the Deaf
You're also not being neglectful......if you were you'd be doing nothing...you're trying to hack through bureocracy to get your daughter needed services etc.......hopefully she can get a hearing aid soon, and she can get hooked up with a local dhh program.

Yes, I do!...her hearing loss has been going on for 3 years, correct?....Feel if you were the one that was losing your hearing...something would have been done about it by now.

I didnt think to call the deaf school since its nearly 6 hours away, there is a special needs charter school in our district, ill give them a call after break. but if we have to move to austin to be sure she gets the right help and treatments, thats what we'll do.

You might not have to go as far as moving to Austin.....although that would be an AMAZING experience..... especially as Austin is amazing, and the Deaf School there has a sizable amount of academic kids (as opposed to life skills/ multihandicapped kids) Texas DOES offer DHH programs......Look into those...those can be very good.
Regarding the special needs charter school.... they might offer more then your neighborhood/local school, and might be experienced.....they may have students with other issues who are also "just" dhh.....But then again, it might be a special needs school, as in serving autistic, and mentally handicapped....

Yes, I do!...her hearing loss has been going on for 3 years, correct?....Feel if you were the one that was losing your hearing...something would have been done about it by now.

Um Rocking, it started out as MILD....and it sounds like the mild that you can compensate for.

rockin'robin said:
Quote:

I feel like you are only taking bits and pieces of what ive said.
Her hearing loss was very mild when she was 3. The doctor said it was unlikely it would get worse. She has not gotten an ear infection in over a year and has not shown any sign that her hearing was deteriorating until late september when it took a marked decrease.
And at that time, I started taking her back to the pediatrician and trying to get answers. in reality it has been decreasing for about 2 months. and ive had her at the doctor 4 times.
So, you can kindly take your judgements and implications, and shove them

Her hearing loss was very mild when she was 3. The doctor said it was unlikely it would get worse. She has not gotten an ear infection in over a year and has not shown any sign that her hearing was deteriorating until late september when it took a marked decrease.
And at that time, I started taking her back to the pediatrician and trying to get answers. in reality it has been decreasing for about 2 months. and ive had her at the doctor 4 times.

There are plenty of us judging a person who decided to skip tubes which can prevent a lot of damage , when it is possible to make a payment plan with a hospital or get financing some way.

I don't think she was making implications either. She was boldly stating that you are an unfit parent.

deafdyke said:
Quote:

You might not have to go as far as moving to Austin.....although that would be an AMAZING experience..... especially as Austin is amazing, and the Deaf School there has a sizable amount of academic kids (as opposed to life skills/ multihandicapped kids) Texas DOES offer DHH programs......Look into those...those can be very good.
Regarding the special needs charter school.... they might offer more then your neighborhood/local school, and might be experienced.....they may have students with other issues who are also "just" dhh.....But then again, it might be a special needs school, as in serving autistic, and mentally handicapped....

it does serve a wide range of kids learning and behavior disabilities. It has a small dhh program with teachers better educated for dhh kids.
Ill be making calls to set up an interview..
In the mean time ill just continue my fight with her current school to make sure she stays on track.

Bottesini said:
Quote:

There are plenty of us judging a person who decided to skip tubes which can prevent a lot of damage , when it is possible to make a payment plan with a hospital or get financing some way.
I don't think she was making implications either. She was boldly stating that you are an unfit parent.

did you miss the part when I mentioned the ent stating she PROBABLY WONT LOSE ANYMORE HEARING? Because im pretty sure ive said it several times. He simply suggested preventing future ear infections with allergy shots. which I sold my car to be able to pay for.
I made the best decision I could with the knowledge I had at the time. If I could go back with the knowledge I have now, would I do the surgery? Absolutely. But I can't. I can only move forward.
I was uneducated/not informed, that does not in any way make me an unfit mother.

Back