Ottawa Deaf Community

under age 30, the ASL users are fading, and more speaking

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Frisky Feline said:
under age 30, the ASL users are fading, and more speaking

Maybe where you are - but that's the exact opposite of what I've seen where I live & many other places in Canada.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Maybe where you are - but that's the exact opposite of what I've seen where I live & many other places in Canada.

Cool.

Most i met who are under age 30, and they know how to speak or CI users who are trying to learn how to speak and sign but not fully ASL. I haven't seen a normal deaf ASL users for a while.

Not many young deaf people in ottawa anymore. Job market in ottawa very competitive, no jobs here if you are deaf. Deaf people age 20 to 40 move to other cities or Toronto.

I am sorry to tell you that it is not correct.

We got a good number of young Deaf people here in Ottawa.

Actually we will have several events upcoming here. There are several of them serving on at least two of the Deaf organizations here.

Also we hang around with young Deaf people from neighboring Gatineau.

No comment on the age grouping of the Ottawa Deaf community. Presumably utilizing ASL can be of some function notwithstanding "age consideration"social-wise.
Could that "fact" lead one to consider a Cochlear Implant-if suitable- to interact in the local "hearing community"?

Cool.

Most i met who are under age 30, and they know how to speak or CI users who are trying to learn how to speak and sign but not fully ASL. I haven't seen a normal deaf ASL users for a while.

A lot of the Culturally Deaf ASL users here also (to one degree or another) speak as well. We're fortunate that here, being able to communicate in ASL is the primary "aspect" of being involved in Deaf/ASL culture and the Community - being able to speak is simply something that some of our community does, and others don't - there's no stigma attached either way.

Back