Other Senses.

SigningTinker

Reaction score
Dear Deaf Community,

I had a few questions which have been circulating around my youth group for a little while now. :hmm:

Since you are deaf and cannot hear, are your other senses (such as smell and sight) any stronger?

And lastly, what is the best way to communicate with hearing people, or any other person who does not sign? Or, which way is the easiest?

Thank you so much! :ily:

I am sensitive to vibrations, I can "feel" the knock at the door, people walking into the room, and more. My vision has always been very sensitive to any movement as well as reflexes. sense of smell... as far as cooking or something burning is normal, but have an extra sensivity to odd smells ( gas leaks and unknown smells) alarming me to investigate ) I tend to smell things way before anyone else starts to notice anything unusual.... I can smell peoples trash when I go to their homes, sometimes cant figure out what it is at first ( everyones house smells different) but go in the kitchen and yup, theres the source ! lol

Being deaf does not necessarily mean one cannot hear.

I'm not sure my other senses are heightened and if they're not, it may be because I'm late-deafened.

I can communicate with hearing people pretty good ... with my high powered hearing aids.

I am sensitive to vibrations, I can "feel" the knock at the door, people walking into the room, and more. My vision has always been very sensitive to any movement as well as reflexes. sense of smell... as far as cooking or something burning is normal, but have an extra sensivity to odd smells ( gas leaks and unknown smells) alarming me to investigate ) I tend to smell things way before anyone else starts to notice anything unusual.... I can smell peoples trash when I go to their homes, sometimes cant figure out what it is at first ( everyones house smells different) but go in the kitchen and yup, theres the source ! lol

I am the same with smells I can smell things before other people can I had 20/15 vision and b/c I didn't get a hearing aid until I was 8 yo I learned to become very observing
in people body language . OMG ! There was a really disgusting woman living at my condo . She was a tenant and only lived here one year thanks goodness! I was going downstairs to the basement and smelled something really gross and thought someone had put something horrible in their trash bag. When I got to the bottom of the stairs I saw that woman had put her dirty laundry in her storage bin and it was right on the floor it was her underpants I was smelling and they were right on the floor ! Disgusting! When the woman moved out she left a note on my door thanking me for being "a good neighbor" . I wish I could had felt the same about her ! That was one time I wish I didn't have a keen sense of smell.

Interesting, thanks!

I feel vibrations and when my rabbit thumped it effects me I do seem hear him but it rabbit thumping in away vibrations go through body it not nice.as for sight touch no but I am intuitive .When I was sent to rehab you work on lip reading and sort of looking at sound I can't explain it. Very well but amazed to realise hearing lip read more than they realise.i about 20/40%at it and because not born deaf I have good control of voice.i proberly look more say on roads or when children with me but looking don't mean good sight.as for communication just depends who what and where

Back