Opinion about deaf humor?

A deaf Cuban, Russian, Irishman, and American were riding a train. The deaf Cuban suddenly gets up and tosses his cigar out the window.

"Why did you do that?" the others asked.
"It was a lousy cigar and we have plenty more where I come from" the deaf Cuban replied.

Then the deaf Russian suddenly gets up and tosses his bottle of vodka out the window.

"It was a lousy vodka and we have plenty more where I come from" the deaf Russian replied.

Then the deaf Irishman suddenly gets up and tosses his bottle of whiskey out the window.

"It was a lousy whiskey and we have plenty more where I come from" the deaf Irishman replied.

Then the deaf American suddenly gets up and tosses a passenger out the window.

"It was a stupid hearie and we have plenty more where I come from" the deaf American replied.

I sort of take an offense by assuming that deaf culture assumes that we all like the same things such as a sense of humor.

It's like going to allblack.com and ask what do you all black people find funny?

Like CrazyPaul said we are just people that happen to suck at hearing. It's like assuming all blondes are the same and all mexicans are the same.

For what it's worth I love Larry David and his show "Curb your enthusiasm" There aren't any deaf jokes in there although I did see Michael J Fox do a bit about his parkinson's. If you do a search in this forum or even check this forum every day you'll find that we have a varied sense of humor. Someone might find a joke hilarious and another just meh.

You won't see that much of a difference if you go to a regular "hearing" forum.

Eh, edited, my sense of humor is way off the beaten path from most...

One of the things that I came across while researching was a teacher of ASL I believe was playing a movie for a class of hearing people and had it muted. Where the movie was supposed to be frightening they were laughing because of the facial expressions of the people and they could not hear the background music to change the mood. That is one way that humor differs from cultures. Does that make more sense as to what he is looking for in terms of information on Deaf Humor. (I think it is for expanding our scope of understanding about the culture and how they perceive things differently.)

I've seen many many scary movies ( being deaf ) and I'm still scared of them regardless. If they were laughing, they're just being stupid and immature / childish. I have a good amount of Deaf friends who I have seen have the pants scared off of them without hearing the movie.....

I do not mean to sound as if I am against anything with the deaf culture. I am not whatsoever. My professor is deaf as well so it is not meant as a joke or to be funny or mean it is just a research paper on how many hearing people's idea of what if funny versus what many deaf people find more funny. I have found that most of the humor for deaf is in visuals through research. He wanted some information from this site the alldeaf.com community as to what things are preferred or what makes you laugh the most.
The movie thing was just a part where they were supposed to be scared I believe from a gorilla, but it was not a scary movie entirely. I am not sure I will try to find it again.

this forum is not much of Deaf culture though. this forum is lot of late deafened and oral people. how can you collect the information. Deaf culture is fading out anyway

I leave the deaf humor to hearing people asking stupid questions ,
"do you drive a car" , " do you take a shower with your HA on?" "do you sleep with your HA on?" Or a doctor leaning over and talking right into my HA as if it was a telephone.

That is exactly what Deaf comedians tried to do body language with ASL explaining what was happening through the eye of the Deaf person when being confronted with hearing people. The hearing people always asked questions or assumed what the Deaf people do. Like for example, when a Deaf person was in the restaurant, he or she was offered the menu which is in braille. I guess the waitress or waiter thought that the Deaf can be just like the Blind, but that is not true. So Deaf comedians do make fun of hearing people doing stupid things in our every day life. If you can take the jokes about hearing people doing stupid things like that. Then to the hearing people, it would not be funny but to their way of thinking, they might be able to laugh about themselves. :hmm: :dunno2:

Like for example, when a Deaf person was in the restaurant, he or she was offered the menu which is in braille. I guess the waitress or waiter thought that the Deaf can be just like the Blind, but that is not true. So Deaf comedians do make fun of hearing people doing stupid things in our every day life.

Growing silent gave a good explanation for that here: http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-ou...nt-hearing-people-stories-49.html#post2240290

She said they give those menus to deaf customers not because of the braille, but because it is something they can have in their hands and use to communicate with the waiter. It's easier to point to a menu item that you're holding than something that's posted far away on a wall, if you want your request to be clear.

So they do give those menus to both deaf and blind customers, but for different reasons.

this forum is not much of Deaf culture though. this forum is lot of late deafened and oral people. how can you collect the information. Deaf culture is fading out anyway

Yea, not many culturally Deaf people here on this forum.

Growing silent gave a good explanation for that here: http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-ou...nt-hearing-people-stories-49.html#post2240290

She said they give those menus to deaf customers not because of the braille, but because it is something they can have in their hands and use to communicate with the waiter. It's easier to point to a menu item that you're holding than something that's posted far away on a wall, if you want your request to be clear.

So they do give those menus to both deaf and blind customers, but for different reasons.

I was out shopping with my daughter and granddaughter and Finlay, my hearing dog. I was watching my grandchild while my daughter looked at some clothes . Finlay had on his orange jacket , leash and collar which all had 'hearing dog' printed on them . A saleswoman come up to me and
ask me "If I was blind". I told her his my hearing dog and that I was busy watching my grandchild. The saleswoman asked me a second time "If I was blind" and I was like WTF! If I was blind how could I be watching my grandchild??? I was not holding onto her hand ,I was walking around the store with her. I had a few people come up to me and asked if I as blind when I was shopping with Finlay . I HAD to bring my dog with all the time because the guy lived upstairs. said my dog barked when I left him home. He was the only person that complained because he hated me and my dog.

I was out shopping with my daughter and granddaughter and Finlay, my hearing dog. I was watching my grandchild while my daughter looked at some clothes . Finlay had on his orange jacket , leash and collar which all had 'hearing dog' printed on them . A saleswoman come up to me and
ask me "If I was blind". I told her his my hearing dog and that I was busy watching my grandchild. The saleswoman asked me a second time "If I was blind" and I was like WTF! If I was blind how could I be watching my grandchild??? I was not holding onto her hand ,I was walking around the store with her. I had a few people come up to me and asked if I as blind when I was shopping with Finlay . I HAD to bring my dog with all the time because the guy lived upstairs. said my dog barked when I left him home. He was the only person that complained because he hated me and my dog.

I'm sorry that guy complained about your dog.

And the woman who thought you were blind: unfortunately, alot more people have heard of seeing eye dogs than hearing dogs. People can be slow to catch on to something new to them.

But the thing about watching a child: I have a blind friend who had a daughter, and he often took care of her. At home or out somewhere, I think he could say he was watching her even though literally he couldn't watch anything. It just meant that he was responsible for her and taking care of her. He didn't hold her hand constantly, but they stayed in communication.

He wanted some information from this site the alldeaf.com community as to what things are preferred or what makes you laugh the most.

Well, I'm not big on sight gags like watching someone fall down or get kicked in the balls. Come to think of it, tons of hearing people find that funny.

I like the more subtle and creative humor that you'd see from Larry David, Steve Wright, George Carlin, Brian Regan and Mitch Hedberg.

One thing I will say though is that due to my hearing I just cannot attend a live stand-up since I just cannot follow along. So I watch it on TV and use the captions.

I'm sorry that guy complained about your dog.

And the woman who thought you were blind: unfortunately, alot more people have heard of seeing eye dogs than hearing dogs. People can be slow to catch on to something new to them.

But the thing about watching a child: I have a blind friend who had a daughter, and he often took care of her. At home or out somewhere, I think he could say he was watching her even though literally he couldn't watch anything. It just meant that he was responsible for her and taking care of her. He didn't hold her hand constantly, but they stayed in communication.

Yeah but would had been impossible in the store we where at, it was very busy and noisy . The woman thought I was blind was dumb , I was all over the store with my grandchild and I had a leash on Finlay ,guide dogs do not have leashes on them , they have a handle to hold onto so the person can feel the dog movement better. I told the woman it was my hearing dog and she asked a second if I was blind. She was just plain stupid , she just had to read my dog's jacket , it had 'hearing dog' on it in 3 places . What more did I need a flashing sign that said 'hearing dog' ???

Your blind friend has good hearing , would never had been able to do that with my grandchild in the store.
Finlay hated the guy that lived upstairs , no one was sad when he moved out. He and wife just sold their unit and left one day .

Yeah but would had been impossible in the store we where at, it was very busy and noisy .

Oh I understand.

The woman thought I was blind was dumb , I was all over the store with my grandchild and I had a leash on Finlay ,guide dogs do not have leashes on them , they have a handle to hold onto so the person can feel the dog movement better. I told the woman it was my hearing dog and she asked a second if I was blind. She was just plain stupid , she just had to read my dog's jacket , it had 'hearing dog' on it in 3 places . What more did I need a flashing sign that said 'hearing dog' ???

A more intelligent person to talk to, it seems.

Your blind friend has good hearing , would never had been able to do that with my grandchild in the store.

Right. He's just blind, not deafblind.

You are making it sound like I am more idiot than hearing people. Gawd. you just make me pissed off at your remark about the menu which is in braille instead of pictures.

Will you stop your nonsense and get our points across why the Deaf comedians wanted to make jokes about what hearing people do to Deaf and HOH people. You have nerve to think of making the most stupid remarks or exclamation telling us what we should do or not do this. You are way off the line. I bet you are hearing instead of d/Deaf or HOH. If you are hearing, then you are looking down on us which is not nice at all. We are not children. So stop abusing us like this. :mad:

You are making it sound like I am more idiot than hearing people. Gawd. you just make me pissed off at your remark about the menu which is in braille instead of pictures.

Will you stop your nonsense and get our points across why the Deaf comedians wanted to make jokes about what hearing people do to Deaf and HOH people. You have nerve to think of making the most stupid remarks or exclamation telling us what we should do or not do this. You are way off the line. I bet you are hearing instead of d/Deaf or HOH. If you are hearing, then you are looking down on us which is not nice at all. We are not children. So stop abusing us like this. :mad:

Why do you think I am making it sound like you are more of an idiot than hearing people? I didn't say that at all, and I don't understand why you are pissed off at me.

That is something I think most people never knew, the reason why waiters/waitresses sometimes give those menus to deaf people. I never knew it until growing silent posted it. It makes sense now that I read it. I think that most people hear the story about deaf people getting braille menus think the waiters/waitresses are being stupid or insulting. I think most people, deaf or hearing, think this when they first learn about it. I am not differentiating between the two. When I read the explanation, it was amazing, to finally understand this good reason. I like it when things finally make sense. I would think that anyone, deaf or hearing, would also like for things to make sense. That is all.

I don't think I'm engaging in nonsense. I don't think I'm having nerve, nor am I making stupid remarks/exclamations. I am definitely not telling you what you should or should not do. And I'm not out of line.

You bet I am hearing instead of d/Deaf or HOH? Of course I am hearing. I have been clear about my hearing status since I first joined. I introduced myself as hearing, explained my reasons for being here, and it's also on my profile page. I have never ever pretended to be deaf.

And I am not looking down on you or anyone. Being hearing does not automatically mean looking down on deaf people, or thinking that you are a child.

And I am not abusing you. After reading your post, I have to say that you are abusing me.

Why do you think I am making it sound like you are more of an idiot than hearing people? I didn't say that at all, and I don't understand why you are pissed off at me.

That is something I think most people never knew, the reason why waiters/waitresses sometimes give those menus to deaf people. I never knew it until growing silent posted it. It makes sense now that I read it. I think that most people hear the story about deaf people getting braille menus think the waiters/waitresses are being stupid or insulting. I think most people, deaf or hearing, think this when they first learn about it. I am not differentiating between the two. When I read the explanation, it was amazing, to finally understand this good reason. I like it when things finally make sense. I would think that anyone, deaf or hearing, would also like for things to make sense. That is all.

I don't think I'm engaging in nonsense. I don't think I'm having nerve, nor am I making stupid remarks/exclamations. I am definitely not telling you what you should or should not do. And I'm not out of line.

You bet I am hearing instead of d/Deaf or HOH? Of course I am hearing. I have been clear about my hearing status since I first joined. I introduced myself as hearing, explained my reasons for being here, and it's also on my profile page. I have never ever pretended to be deaf.

And I am not looking down on you or anyone. Being hearing does not automatically mean looking down on deaf people, or thinking that you are a child.

And I am not abusing you. After reading your post, I have to say that you are abusing me.
Have you seen a braille menu? Not true about what growing silent said. Large print might have the pics. Braille menu does not.

They give the braille menu when they are confused or stupid.

Have you seen a braille menu? Not true about what growing silent said. Large print might have the pics. Braille menu does not.

They give the braille menu when they are confused or stupid.

Oh, and I might mention, giving a picture menu to a deaf person is really kind of insulting.

We are perfectly capable of reading a menu and writing down what we want.

More often the server can't accurately put in an order even when very specifically written out on a phone screen.

Hello welcome to back

Kmp

I alots of research ASL :)

Do you want to opinion up to you motivated?

that is good news deaf humor it is sound look likes make create to deaf humor good idea help advise :P It figure out how see teasing to skills joke/teasing expression happy deaf humor sign language!

Back