one ear dragging you down?

deafgal001: what you described is HCO. One can hear but not speak. This is not my situation.

Hey just curious.......What kind of CI do you have?

If you are referring to captel, nope it's VCO. You need to get yourself familiar with technologies for the deaf. TTY can be use for HCO if they prefer that way. the typing part is not just for HCO. I have ultra tec 1140 and you can use it several different ways. If you don't feel comfortable using your voice, you can type and the relay service will relay it for you. I got it because I have hearing family who want to use it as a regular phone.

TXgolfer: I have an Advanced Bionics-Harmony Cochlear Implant.
deafgal001: I am not referring to captel-never heard of it. Yeah I know that my Ultra Tec 1140 can be switched to TEXT- the only problem- it seems to me- does the other party have TEXT in their phone as well to receive your typed message?
I have no problem in using my voice on the telephone-thus just continue using my VCO TTY phone. I have almost 15 years of experience. I also know about HCO which doesn't apply to me. I am also aware its can be used as regular phone.

Implant-Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

TXgolfer: I have an Advanced Bionics-Harmony Cochlear Implant.
deafgal001: I am not referring to captel-never heard of it. Yeah I know that my Ultra Tec 1140 can be switched to TEXT- the only problem- it seems to me- does the other party have TEXT in their phone as well to receive your typed message?
I have no problem in using my voice on the telephone-thus just continue using my VCO TTY phone. I have almost 15 years of experience. I also know about HCO which doesn't apply to me. I am also aware its can be used as regular phone.

I don't use VCO, only text relay. It works the same as VCO really...

I call 711, type to the relay operator (RO) what number I want to call. The RO calls, types to me what they say (same as VCO) and then I type my response and the RO reads it to the hearing person. We continue in this fashion, with typing and reading, for the remainder of the conversation. I don't speak, or hear, the other person doesn't have a TTY and we go through 711 the entire time.

Not really different than HCO of which you advise the Relay service,at the start. Most people can speak faster than they can key. Personal preference, I would guess. Same end result. I don't hear using my TTY but do speak thus VCO.
Jenny B: the audi you saw at Sunnybrook was Suzanne Stewart -sorry not Christine.

Last edited:
Not really different than HCO of which you advise the Relay service,at the start. Most people can speak faster than they can key. Personal preference, I would guess. Same end result. I don't hear using my TTY but do speak thus VCO.
Jenny B: the audi you saw at Sunnybrook was Christine Stewart

How do you know that? Who would give you access to someone's medical records?

Jenny B: the audi you saw at Sunnybrook was Christine Stewart

No, it was Suzanne Stewart. I just looked back at my emails with Karina Farrel.

I don't speak much, by choice, so I tend to just use text on TTY. I can type very fast.

Jenny B I haven't seen your medical records at Sunnybrook. I don't know your name-remember.Why should I mention you at Sunnybrook? Also,I had Amy Ng from start to finish.You mentioned that you saw an audi named Suzanne. Her last name is Stewart. Karina Farrel is the programme assistant-not an audi. There are only 2 audis in Cochlear Implant section. Hardly a great secret. The programme head is David Shipp.
Whether you choose to speak- is up to you as I have stated before.

if she is saying who she saw is who she saw then thats that..don't argue with someone and tell them that's not who they had an appt with...you are out of control and quite frankly I think you need to climb off of your high horse and get a life

DJGrace: I answered in #125- my Cochlear Implant is an Advanced Bionics-Harmony.
Alicia: I have met Suzanne Stewart about 2 1/2 years ago for one "rehab session". Small world she deals with my brother-now- who has the same implant and his next appointment is in a few months. As mentioned before - the Cochlear Implant section at Sunnybrook is not a huge department. One doesn't need anyone's medical records to know the few staff members there-considering I met almost all of them . There is another audi- the name is Kari Smilsky according to the letterhead of Sunnybrook. It is not confidential that I am aware of. When all this happened I was NOT a member of "alldeaf;com" then. I joined in July/10. I know nothing about the Implant section at Hospital for Sick Children here in Toronto. Never there-no comment.
You might have noticed I didn't ask "Jenny B" how she "communicated" with Dr J Chen. Seems to pose the question as a consequence of not wanting to speak- hoping that Dr Chen knew ASL or used writing. I haven't checked if he knows ASL. If one accepts that "deafness is a culture" why see an ENT doctor in the first place? When I met Dr Chen in late June/07- I communicated by speaking to him and asked him to write as speechreading was difficult. From my CHS classes I know that speechreading ability decreases if one's hearing decreases. Thus the request to write-- I was really deaf-absolute silence! Yeah, I reminded him 3 different times I was deaf! The operation happened 3 weeks later.
Sorry I am not riding no horses- don't have any-- but do other people?

Last edited:
deafgal001: what you described is HCO. One can hear but not speak. This is not my situation. I am really deaf.
I have my own phone number and use Bell Canada TeleMessage Service as well for all incoming calls. My "tape" advises I will reply using the Relay Service as soon as possible.
It is unnecessary for others to access 711. I also have a Vista phone which lights up a special "bottom"- unanswered calls with flashing red. Easy to access Relay-24 hours a day. Yeah, a garage sale bargain! Another feature-this computer won't operate if calls remain unanswered.This computer uses Bell phone lines. Fine with me.
Another value: all telemarketing calls are deleted at my request-they don't have to key anything - operators key "smiling". I also delete all calls after dealing with them-once.If they were left- the operator would repeat everything again.
Another interesting fact: one must speak clearly to the other party. Every time I access 711- advise them I will use VCO. They respond VCO activated.
Whether other countries use the same "system" 711 Relay Service 24 hours a day-not sure.
I have no reason to alter this telephone service at the present time.

Realizing this is a bit of an old post at this point but ....

Nope - it's not HCO that she described ... it's Captel VCO (the opposite of HCO)

Captel is a special phone which automatically is in VCO mode and automatically connect you to relay (and with a Captel number, automatically connect hearing callers to you THROUGH relay).
Captel phones look more like typical hearing phones (about the same size as the uniphone though). Basically it is similar to how you are using your uniphone 1140 TTY but more straightforward and streamlined for calling. For those who exclusively use VCO, Captel is a great option. Captel does not do HCO as it has no keyboard which is of course required for HCO calling.
For a number of years Captel was only available in the USA, however I believe that it may be available now in the GTO.

To learn about Captel here is their website:
Captel.com

You mentioned a few times "this computer" ... are you meaning the TTY? (if so, just do you know, it's not actually a computer, rather it's a phone that is able to decode acoustic (and electronic)TTY code and translate it into text)

You mentioned "It is unnecessary for others to access 711" - which I guess if you rely on letting your phone ring, then calling into relay and having relay translate the voicemail, then calling the original caller back works ...sort of ?

Personally I find it easier to just have people call me directly using relay and answer the phone directly (is this different than how you currently manage calls?)

In my case, I have a uniphone 1140 TTY which I use for most phone calls (I prefer straight TTY, not VCO) set up so that it has it's own phone number - via distinctive ring (very inexpensive, or even free) because I live with a hearing person. The distinctive ring allows everyone in the house (hearing or Hoh/Deaf) to know if an incoming call is a voice call (ie for the hearing person here) or a TTY call (for myself).
Callers call me by calling relay, then giving my phone number - this way they are able to connect with me without having to play "phone tag". The actual phone call dynamics are identically to how it would if you called the hearing person back, except that the hearing person is able to initiate the call and get you without leaving messages etc.
With the uniphone 1140 (and many other TTYs) the caller be it another TTY user, or Relay Operator has the option to leave a TTY message if you don't get the phone - which I'm assuming you already are aware of. You have the option of turning the answering machine off if via the TTY menu as well (same menu you use to adjust rings, auto answer message, contrast etc)

Yes, 711 is now (and has been for quite a long time) standard throughout North America as the phone number for TTY telephone Relay.

You might have noticed I didn't ask "Jenny B" how she "communicated" with Dr J Chen. Seems to pose the question as a consequence of not wanting to speak- hoping that Dr Chen knew ASL or used writing. I haven't checked if he knows ASL. If one accepts that "deafness is a culture" why see an ENT doctor in the first place?

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure JennyB already explained that she could communicate (at least with you, it is possible this wouldn't translate to another situation/conversation) without writing or ASL.
Why not see an ENT? Deafness IS a culture. You don't have to be deaf to be Deaf, but you can be. I also don't really believe that Deafness can be removed, not unless you individually want to remove yourself from the cultural part of it, regardless of whether or not you're deaf.

I hope most humans have "ears/noses/throats"! Would NOT having them be a "disability"? My comment relates" to fact if one accepts that "deafness' is "cultural" why discuss with an ENT doctor/audiologist in the first place? To convert him/her to the ideology-"deafness is cultural" not "medical".
I am not sure what other "methods of communication" exist except for speaking/hearing writing,using signs/braille/fingerspelling, using lap tops/cell phones. Perhaps mental transference? I don't recall if Dr Chen, who I have met, had a "sandbox" in his office to pass on info via sand?
When I refer- computer- I mean this one not the keybroad on my UtraTec1140. I don't use my TTY as a computer. I am aware the Relay service can receive text messages from you and speak for you. I have discovered that the Relay service I use has half & half-VCO to TEXT( by you) per recent conversation. There may be different systems in other countries to one I use: 711 Kitchener/Quebec Relay Service. Not sure if it has moved today as I used it yesterday.
The problem of all incoming calls- not sure if anyone has accessed the Relay Service or not-I use Bell Canada TeleMessage Service-automatically. I have a Vista phone which "lights up" at all unanswered calls. Used this for years. No problem so far. In the "taped Message" advise everyone I will call back via the Relay Service. I am aware of the options of my Ultra Tec 1140- read their info book. I have used it since Jan/96 when I bought it. Happy with the service provided by Relay operators .

Implanted-Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

The problem of all incoming calls- not sure if anyone has accessed the Relay Service or not-I use Bell Canada TeleMessage Service-automatically. I have a Vista phone which "lights up" at all unanswered calls. Used this for years. No problem so far. In the "taped Message" advise everyone I will call back via the Relay Service. I am aware of the options of my Ultra Tec 1140- read their info book. I have used it since Jan/96 when I bought it. Happy with the service provided by Relay operators .

Yes all people in North America have free access to relay services- for Hoh/Deaf/SI dialing "711" (in NA) will automatically connect you with the default TTY relay service in your area (varies by area, phone provider etc) and for hearing it is usually a 1800 number however some places are switching to a 711 as the "universal number" for both hearing and TTY users to call.
To find out if hearing callers can call 711 in your area, or what the 1800 number for them is the next time you place a relay call just as the RO/CA and they'll be able to help.

If you go to your phone company's website they will also list the 711 "long number" (ie the complete 1-800 number can be used instead of 711) for TTY users, as well as the 1-800 number for hearing users ...

It sounds more complicated than it is - basically TTYs call 711, and hearing people call a 1800 number (or in some areas 711 as well)... it's fast and easy to find out what the number is in your area - simply call 711 and ask the RO/CA and they'll give it to you :)

Last edited:
I hope most humans have "ears/noses/throats"! Would NOT having them be a "disability"? My comment relates" to fact if one accepts that "deafness' is "cultural" why discuss with an ENT doctor/audiologist in the first place? To convert him/her to the ideology-"deafness is cultural" not "medical".
I am not sure what other "methods of communication" exist except for speaking/hearing writing,using signs/braille/fingerspelling, using lap tops/cell phones. Perhaps mental transference? I don't recall if Dr Chen, who I have met, had a "sandbox" in his office to pass on info via sand?
When I refer- computer- I mean this one not the keybroad on my UtraTec1140. I don't use my TTY as a computer. I am aware the Relay service can receive text messages from you and speak for you. I have discovered that the Relay service I use has half & half-VCO to TEXT( by you) per recent conversation. There may be different systems in other countries to one I use: 711 Kitchener/Quebec Relay Service. Not sure if it has moved today as I used it yesterday.

I don't see an ENT doctor anymore... but I know some do in America because people can't dispense Hearing aids without their approval. Not sure if an ENT is require for deaf school although I do know that deaf have to be seen by an audiologist in order for them to get in deaf school.

Back