nursing needs of deaf community? nursing student research paper

smitchell77

Reaction score
Hello,
My name is Sharon Mitchell and I am a nursing student. I am currently doing research for a paper on nursing needs of different cultures and I wanted to focus on the deaf community. Here are my questions.

1. How does nursing care need to be adapted to meet your needs?
2. What are the good and bad things about the nursing care you have received in your life?
3. Do you feel you are treated differently? In a good way or bad way?
4. Do you feel your quality of care is lessened/same/better because you are deaf or hard of hearing?

Please if there is anything else you feel relevant let me know. I am on a bit of a time crunch because I just recently decided to change my focus of this paper and my paper is due next week.

Thank you!

WOW! You come here asking us question about what kind of treatments we get from nurses than you then you tell us we need to hurry up and do your homework b/c you're running late. Let me see now are you a nurse by any chance .

I am terribly sorry to have offended you. That was not my intent at all. My paper is already complete with a different focus. I just happened upon a research paper about caring for the deaf community and thought it would be a better focus. I was not trying to rush you but rather be honest about my situation. Again I apologize.

I'll answer some questions

Nurses need to keep in mind that they must always have our attention by touching us lightly if we aren't looking at you, especially if hearing aids aren't in. Then, continue to speak looking right at us, as clearly as possible, though do not shout.
Post a sign somewhere either over the bed, or at the doorway that pt in bed # whatever is deaf, implementing the suggestions above.

In my experience of being a patient recently I wasn't treated differently or worse in any way, and all personnel tried their best to accommodate me once they knew I was deaf.

Good luck with your paper, and let me know if you have other questions.

Nurses need to keep in mind that they must always have our attention by touching us lightly if we aren't looking at you, especially if hearing aids aren't in. Then, continue to speak looking right at us, as clearly as possible, though do not shout.
Post a sign somewhere either over the bed, or at the doorway that pt in bed # whatever is deaf, implementing the suggestions above.

In my experience of being a patient recently I wasn't treated differently or worse in any way, and all personnel tried their best to accommodate me once they knew I was deaf.

I think the OP used another topic for their paper.

Thank you so much!

How do you feel about interpreter services? Some of the research I came across said that patients feel it impedes on their privacy. This seems to hold true for any foreign language not just ASL.

I think the OP used another topic for their paper.

I am still attempting to complete the paper on this topic because I feel it will be beneficial to my education. I do have a back up though. I wish I had come across this topic earlier.

Any information is welcome. Thank you.

Thank you so much!

How do you feel about interpreter services? Some of the research I came across said that patients feel it impedes on their privacy. This seems to hold true for any foreign language not just ASL.

I hope others on here who do use sign language and interpreters will give some opinions on that, I never learned sign.

I figured, even though you didn't use this as your paper topic, any input from the hoh would be of benefit to nurses in general.

Sorry you got snapped at. People here are rather uppity about anyone who comes in with survey or questions.

I came back to copy and paste my answers to send to you privately in case you didn't see my response, glad you saw it. :lol:

I hope others on here who do use sign language and interpreters will give some opinions on that, I never learned sign.

I figured, even though you didn't use this as your paper topic, any input from the hoh would be of benefit to nurses in general.

Sorry you got snapped at. People here are rather uppity about anyone who comes in with survey or questions.

I came back to copy and paste my answers to send to you privately in case you didn't see my response, glad you saw it. :lol:

Yes it is very helpful and I appreciate it. My focus will include HOH as well, I posted this thread before I did a lot of reading. I wanted to get it out there quickly because of the time crunch. I am learning the difference in the levels of hearing loss and trying to read extensively on the subject. Luckily for me my husband (Army) has a 4 day weekend for veterans day so he is taking care of the kids and letting me research.

If you think of anything else you can post here or message me :)

Would I be allowed to post on Alldeaf.com if I'm in hospital? That is my biggest concern.

Many hospitals have wifi these days :) most military hospitals (which is what I am familiar with) do not have wifi but do have cellular reception.

Thank you so much!

Interpreter services are something hospitals often try to get away without providing. Some have lost some interesting lawsuits due to these practices.

As for lack of privacy with an interpreter present, many deaf people don't have sufficient skill in English to understand everything if it is written down. ASL is a completely different language.

An interpreter can help from having a lot of misunderstandings.

Many hospitals have wifi these days :) most military hospitals (which is what I am familiar with) do not have wifi but do have cellular reception.
He was joking...

Interpreter services are something hospitals often try to get away without providing. Some have lost some interesting lawsuits due to these practices.

As for lack of privacy with an interpreter present, many deaf people don't have sufficient skill in English to understand everything if it is written down. ASL is a completely different language.

An interpreter can help from having a lot of misunderstandings.

He was joking...

Thank you! I did read a study where even though physicians had 24 hour access to an ASL interpreter most times they chose not to wait even though that lessens the quality of care. I think this is horrible.

As for privacy issues, I live in El Paso and we use a lot of spanish interpreters here. Since the spanish speaking community is so large there doesn't seem to be much worry about privacy. The deaf/HOH community is much smaller so I thought it might be more of an issue. Although, professionally trained interpreters, no matter the language, are ethically bound to confidentiality on medical matters.

I figured he was joking but didn't want to offend another person. I do really have an honest interest in this subject.

Last edited:
Thank you! I did read a study where even though physicians had 24 hour access to an ASL interpreter most times they chose not to wait even though that lessens the quality of care. I think this is horrible.

As for privacy issues, I live in El Paso and we use a lot of spanish interpreters here. Since the spanish speaking community is so large there doesn't seem to be much worry about privacy. The deaf/HOH community is much smaller so I thought it might be more of an issue. Although, professionally trained interpreters, no matter the language, are ethically bound to confidentiality on medical matters.

I figured he was joking but didn't want to offend another person. I do really have an honest interest in this subject.

I lived in El Paso for many years, and my husband did his Master's work at UTEP. But we have been in Iowa for over 20 years now.

My daughter is a nurse in the critical care unit of a large university hospital, and is working on her doctorate.

I learn something new!!! I would think that military hospitals would offer WiFi. What is wrong here?

I learn something new!!! I would think that military hospitals would offer WiFi. What is wrong here?

Everything is wrong with the military hospitals, I am sure you heard about the horrible treatments are vets being getting, having to wait forever to seen by a doctor . :(

I'm often in hospital and I find some staff are sensitive to my hearing loss and others seem not to care whether I understand them or not.

Recently I had an argument with the coordinator of one of the biggest home nursing providers here about their treatment of deaf and HoH clients. I explained to them that I can't hear very well at all if I'm for example in the shower and I can't read lips well enough to get everything with water running etc. and I was told that I will have to just not talk to the aide then. I asked if I can have staff who sign or some provision for that since I'm learning Auslan and am losing my hearing. She rudely said no. I said what happens to completely deaf clients and she said they just don't communicate with home nurses and health aides.

I have encountered this in hospitals with some staff but most are nicer. I think the most important thing for me is to be allowed the ability to communicate without impatience on their part as without that I feel marginalised and lack the ability to be involved in my own health care.

well -- the admins here frown on surveys here, but I feel this topic should be talked about for real.

1. How does nursing care need to be adapted to meet your needs? Its easy - assign the right nurse to a deaf/hoh person. Its all on the personality. We can pick up on those who are there just to work and serve. We thrive on open and friendly nurses that remembers (this is a biggie) to be looking at us when they are talking and enunciates, but not slowly like we are dumb. slow is very offending - but going fast just makes us feel lost and angry for not catching the conversation.
2. What are the good and bad things about the nursing care you have received in your life? This really depends on the community you are already in. Were there many deaf there before? did they leave a good taste or bad taste ? are we doomed forever from a few bad apples? If we are in a remote area - will they still make the attempt to make sure they make us feel connected with communication? When I had surgery - I had terps and it was all good experience. The family doctor I go to had nurses that automatically knows we cant hear in the waiting room and they know when to wave directly at us when we notice the door opens or come up to us and let us know they are ready for us. Later the office went thru new nurses and there are some that needs " sensitivity training how to interact with deaf"
3. Do you feel you are treated differently? In a good way or bad way?
Oh yeah!!! we are always going to feel we are treated differently, but its hard to separate my problems (reason why Im there for medical help) and my deafness. This goes back to question one and two. you NEED the right bubbly personality and dont mind automatically to look at us when communicating or write notes or use a terp and look at us when talking. You cant get away from nurses that doesnt have this personality naturally . This kind of human nature is everywhere you go--- you have the good ones and the so so's.
4. Do you feel your quality of care is lessened/same/better because you are deaf or hard of hearing? lets be clear on this...... it will never be better because we are deaf/hoh. why? we are in minority numbers in a majority hearing world. yo take many things for granted - just walking a mile in our shoes can either make you feel pity, or heart sorrow or thank god its not me attitude ( some hearing folks might not say it , but we know people do think it at times). We dont want pity. we dont care if you say thank god not me, but we do expect you to be there for us, expect you to communicate, expect you to stand up for us when you notice the doctors are not explaining things like they always do but think we cant handle the truth .
In a way being deaf is better since we use our eyes, vibrations, the sensing of vibes people gives off for compensating for our lack of hearing. we can tell something is not the truth or not enough info. when you omit things or say never mind enough - it gets drilled into our brains over and over like a brick wall and we can be defensive about it. the START of the patient and doc/nurse relationship of good communication is essential. Things always become worse when we dont know anything. we like details. we like to ask thousand questions if we wanted to.

I personally would love to see your final paper even if you stick with your backup.

I'm often in hospital and I find some staff are sensitive to my hearing loss and others seem not to care whether I understand them or not.

Recently I had an argument with the coordinator of one of the biggest home nursing providers here about their treatment of deaf and HoH clients. I explained to them that I can't hear very well at all if I'm for example in the shower and I can't read lips well enough to get everything with water running etc. and I was told that I will have to just not talk to the aide then. I asked if I can have staff who sign or some provision for that since I'm learning Auslan and am losing my hearing. She rudely said no. I said what happens to completely deaf clients and she said they just don't communicate with home nurses and health aides.

I have encountered this in hospitals with some staff but most are nicer. I think the most important thing for me is to be allowed the ability to communicate without impatience on their part as without that I feel marginalised and lack the ability to be involved in my own health care.

"Under the American's with Disabilities Act, all healthcare providers and facilities are MANDATED to provide reasonable communication accommodations, including qualified sign language interpreters" Maybe you can remind your provider of this so that they will provide an interpreter. Not only are they required by law to provide one but they must also pay for the interpreters services. Hope that helps.

Back