Not sure what to post this under Hearing Dog Vest :)

Loliepop

Reaction score
I'm in the process of training my beautiful 11 wk. old 5lb Papillon "Magic" to be my hearing dog (he is so smart! he's learning a new sign everyday!). I want to start taking him into public when he's finished with his rounds of shots and I'm deciding on what type of vest/cape harness to order for him. I've seen several pictures of hearing dogs in bright orange vests or patches, can anyone tell me if that's the universal hearing dog color (to be honest I really like him in sky blue-lol). Any ideas/websites or oppinions on vest vs. capes vs harness would be most appreciated :)
-Beth and Magic

Humm, I thought there had to be some certification inorder for them to be able to wear those vest?

I am not familiar, but atleast that is what I thought. They had to go into a program inorder for the city to recongize any dog to be a service dog?

At least in the US there isn't any certification needed for a service dog to be allowed in public. Of course there are general requirements (the dog must be obiedient etc.). There are many organizations that will give you a certification if you pass a variety of skills, however it's not required. If your dog is identified as a Service Dog in Training, there geneally isn't a problem even if your dag makes a few mishaps (I worked at Disneyland for several years and everyday we had about 1/2 dozen service dogs in training). As much as it would be easier for me to receive a trained hearing dog the wait is about 5 years. I researched various breeds used for hearing dogs and papillons came up time and again, and no wonder-Magic hears, notices, but doesn't shy away from any sound, including running water-it's amazing! I have Multiple Sclerosis, and nerve damage related hearing loss because of it, as well as periods of time when I have jaw muscle spasms or inablility to relate voiced speech. Learning sign (and teaching it to my family) has allowed me to regain reliable communication, however there are a few things that I'm realizing my hearing loss has made difficult or impossible. Because I've lost more hearing in my left ear than my right, my right retains some hearing but I've lost my "stereo" hearing. When I hear a sound (phone, siren, doorbell etc.) I can't tell where it's coming from-I can't tell you how many times I've answered my front door only to realize the tv was the source of the doorbell. That's when I hear the sound at all, often I can't hear my doorbell or phone, sleep through my husbands pager etc. Magic has already learned to come get me (or treat rather) when the doorbell rings (I told you he was smart!) I need to teach him, phone, fire alarm, ambulance sirens and the sound of my name and "Mommy", it seems the lack of being able to get my attention (or me jumping when someone taps me on the shoulder and I no longer hear them comming up behind me) is what frustrates my children the most. Boy I probably gave you way too much information!!! Soon I just want Magic to get used to crowds and the different sounds he hears in them.
-Beth

Back