Not sure about it all.

alison21

Reaction score
I went to the audiologist and ENT today. I have absolutely no hearing left. :( I already knew that, but they confirmed it.

The ENT doctor told me that hearing aids weren't an option. He said he was referring me out to Vanderbilt, to discuss a CI.

I was hoping that hearing aids would help it. Not so sure how I feel about surgery.

Any advice, any experiences you are willing to share, good or bad?

I am lost and, honestly, kinda scared in this situation.

I would rather to go hospital than an university if I was going to get a CI .
that is how I feel . Can you take an second opinion after going to Vanderbilt ? I would try to talk to talk to as many DR and I would bring someone with me .

I would jump at having Vanderbilt as my CI clinic actually, they came out with a new CT-scan based method of CI mapping this year which is supposed to improve fidelity quite a bit.

I have a CI and it has really improved the quality of my life! I don't want to subject you to anything that sounds like an advertising spiel, though.

A good website for unbiased CI info is cochlear implant HELP which does not get revenue from any of the different CI manufacturers, though the site is mostly run by users of AB implants.

I Have a lot of friends with C.I.s and I don't think I've ever really heard any of them complain about anything with them. The only complaint I heard was they were anxious to get it activated as they aren't immediately after the operation ( it takes a few weeks, ) Bust everyone I know that has one loves it. The procedure is really pretty minor all in all... It's nothing to worry too much about. I understand you're scared, it can be absolutely terrifying, just know this operation has been performed hundreds of thousands of times, and is pretty common. :) Good luck with everything, and Vanderbilt is an EXCELLENT referral for a C.I. :) Everything will be okay. :D

If I do decide to have it done, I would definitely go with Vanderbilt. They are amazing with the research they have done, in just about everything. They are also only a couple hours from me, which is very convenient.

I have read over everything, and I am really starting to get kinda hopeful. I am starting to lean more towards it now.

Everything is happening very fast, so it's making it all a little hard to digest. Up until this point, I haven't been able to afford even a check on my hearing. Now, I am getting everything done.

Growing up, my family didn't do anything about my hearing loss. And until I was 18, I couldn't do a whole lot without their consent. Now, I can do it all.

Back