Not a candidate for CI?

Speech therapy has nothing to do with language acquisition.
Yes, Beclak said putting a great deal of effort into speech therapy is required. I disagreed, hasn't been something my daughter requires and she's going on her 3rd language.

Really?Whispers from the next room? Under what conditions?

In the home. One of the challenges for CI kids, who are notorious for unintentional eavesdropping, is sorting those voices coming from the hallways, outside windows, the back of the room, a table across the restaurant, from those involved in their own conversation, from the teacher at the head of the class. The technology brings in sounds from all over, normalizing the volume, and leaves it to you to make sense of it.

An amusing example of GrendlQ's thoughts- after getting activated I found sounds from everywhere. Clearly remember this one! Coming home late at night- could hear footsteps-thought someone was following me. No one around. I was picking up my own footsteps!

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Yes, Beclak said putting a great deal of effort into speech therapy is required. I disagreed, hasn't been something my daughter requires and she's going on her 3rd language.

In the home. One of the challenges for CI kids, who are notorious for unintentional eavesdropping, is sorting those voices coming from the hallways, outside windows, the back of the room, a table across the restaurant, from those involved in their own conversation, from the teacher at the head of the class. The technology brings in sounds from all over, normalizing the volume, and leaves it to you to make sense of it.

That type of discrimination is challenging for HA users, as well. It applies to any form of applification, not just CI.

So, you are saying that your daughter can be in a room with wall separating her from the speaker, in a natural environment, and she can hear and, with 96% accuracy, a whispered communication from the other room?

An amusing example of GrendlQ's thoughts- after getting activated I found sounds from everywhere. Clearly remember this one! Coming home late at night- could hear footsteps-thought someone was following me. No one around. I was picking up my own footsteps!

Nothing unusual.Same thing happens with HA users.

That type of discrimination is challenging for HA users, as well. It applies to any form of applification, not just CI.

So, you are saying that your daughter can be in a room with wall separating her from the speaker, in a natural environment, and she can hear and, with 96% accuracy, a whispered communication from the other room?

When combining different situations into one challenge, you forgot to add the additional requirements of that language being in Mandarin, and those whispers being conducted via a cell phone in the other room. :laugh2:

I think I now understand why some people say CIs are not all they are cracked up to be, if this is the expected outcome.

When combining different situations into one challenge, you forgot to add the additional requirements of that language being in Mandarin, and those whispers being conducted via a cell phone in the other room. :laugh2:

I think I now understand why some people say CIs are not all they are cracked up to be, if this is the expected outcome.

Just trying to clarify what "can hear whispers from another room" actually means.

Nothing unusual.Same thing happens with HA users.

On the day I got my current HAs I could hear this noise all the way home from the hospital. Every time I stopped walking the noise stopped too, so I kept stopping to see if it happened every time. I was almost home before I realised that the sound was the hood on my coat rustling, up until then I didn't even realise this sound existed!

On the day I got my current HAs I could hear this noise all the way home from the hospital. Every time I stopped walking the noise stopped too, so I kept stopping to see if it happened every time. I was almost home before I realised that the sound was the hood on my coat rustling, up until then I didn't even realise this sound existed!

**nodding** Especially with the digital aids.

It wasn't my experience with my Hearings Aids since the late 60s eg sound pickup everywhere. I was at Profound level for many years. Digital aids didn't exist then-unfortunately. I used a Phonak LL6 for many years-being the only one I could use.

With CIs she understands whispers from the next room
I wish I could hear that good! This way I'd know if others are talking about me.

I used to think that whispering meant "just lowering one's voice". It wasn't till later on was when I was taught that wasn't the case.

:giggle:

I wish I could hear that good! This way I'd know if others are talking about me.

I used to think that whispering meant "just lowering one's voice". It wasn't till later on was when I was taught that wasn't the case.

:giggle:

:) I know, it shocked the living daylights out of us. Especially because I can stand in front of her saying quite loudly and distinctly "Clean up your toys", signing for additional measure, and she won't understand a word I say or be able to discriminate the difference between that and "continue to place legos between the couch cushions and all over the kitchen table."

:) I know, it shocked the living daylights out of us. Especially because I can stand in front of her saying quite loudly and distinctly "Clean up your toys", signing for additional measure, and she won't understand a word I say or be able to discriminate the difference between that and "continue to place legos between the couch cushions and all over the kitchen table."

You've got you a normal kid there, Grendel!:lol:

LOL! That's what you call "selective hearing". I do know of deaf kids that used to close their eyes when being scolded upon from their parents. To the deaf kids out there reading this, you didn't hear this from me...! :giggle:

I was talking to my girlfriend. I am the one who bought the CI/HA topic to my girlfriend. She said to go for whatever is the best for me. I explained to her that with HA, I may hear her voice, but I won't know what she is saying. With CI, I may know what she is saying. She suggested CI if it means hearing her name. I said HA to start with so that I can get auditory movement and also I may be able to hear with HA. I explained to her that I wouldn't want a magnet in my head. I'm now trying to find out the best way to afford HAs in state of Illinois.

I was talking to my girlfriend. I am the one who bought the CI/HA topic to my girlfriend. She said to go for whatever is the best for me. I explained to her that with HA, I may hear her voice, but I won't know what she is saying. With CI, I may know what she is saying. She suggested CI if it means hearing her name. I said HA to start with so that I can get auditory movement and also I may be able to hear with HA. I explained to her that I wouldn't want a magnet in my head. I'm now trying to find out the best way to afford HAs in state of Illinois.

Good idea on the HAs. There'd be a bit more than a magnet in your head if you took a CI route.

She must have some kind of amazing name :)

Take a speech therapy with the HAs first. So you will get some ideas if you want to continue taking the speech therapy or not. It helps you to see where you stnad.

Good luck .

I wore my HAs since I was a kid. I am more comfortable with ASl and have no problem approacing with hearing people.

I've always had difficulty with this one, with the particular type of loss I have, and particularly now I have frequency transposition, if I had to choose between someone actually genuinely whispering and someone talking in a low voice I'd pick the whisper every time. It's clear, it carries, the consonants are very clear and the lip movements are slightly larger to facilitate the production of the hushed tone. It's very hard to whisper and mumble at the same time. So people "speak up" from whispers to help me hear and it shoots into the dead zone of wubble and I've lost them.

I've always had difficulty with this one, with the particular type of loss I have, and particularly now I have frequency transposition, if I had to choose between someone actually genuinely whispering and someone talking in a low voice I'd pick the whisper every time. It's clear, it carries, the consonants are very clear and the lip movements are slightly larger to facilitate the production of the hushed tone. It's very hard to whisper and mumble at the same time. So people "speak up" from whispers to help me hear and it shoots into the dead zone of wubble and I've lost them.
I've had a little bit of an easier time whispering since I got the CI. Not only did I get a little bit of a kick out of being corrected on what's the right way to whisper (i.e. "Oh that's the way to do it?"), but also got a kick out of how well my therapist could hear me whispering. That she closed her eyes as I'd practice whispering and heard every word I said. I'd be laughing thinking "You heard all that?". :)

I realize that CI doesn't work for many people who have not wore hearing aids for many, many years. Maybe they weren't motivated when they got CI? Not that I would go for CI right now, but just gauging answers.

Back