NORAD scrambles F-16 Fighters to Arizona-Mexico border

rockin'robin

Reaction score
PETERSON AIR FORCE BASE COLO. (KGUN9-TV) - The North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) scrambled two F-16 fighter jets to southern Arizona at 6:10 a.m. Sunday to intercept an ultralight aircraft that entered Arizona from Mexico.

The aircraft was flying from Mexico and crossed into Arizona. At the direction of North American Aerospace Defense Command, two F-16 fighters were launched from Davis Monthan Air Force Base to intercept the aircraft, said a news released from NORAD issued Sunday morning.

"Upon intercepting the aircraft, the F-16s shadowed the aircraft for 30 minutes until it turned and flew back into Mexico," said NORAD Lt.. Cmdr.. Gary Ross. "The F-16s returned to base."

NORAD's mission "in close collaboration with homeland defense, security and law enforcement partners, is to prevent air attacks against North America (and) safeguard the sovereign airspaces of the United States and Canada by responding to unknown, unwanted and unauthorized air activity operating within these airspaces."

On Saturday, Arizona Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords held a news conference in Tucson to announce a bipartisan bill, she is co-sponsoring, that would target ultralight aircraft, which is commonly used to smuggle drugs into the United States at the Mexico border.

"Drug smugglers with wings are posing an increasingly serious problem for anyone concerned about border security," said Giffords, in a news release Saturday. "These smugglers use small, low-flying aircraft to deliver their illicit contraband into our country. But because of a legal loophole, they cannot be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. My legislation will fix this problem."

Under the proposed legislation, a drug smuggler caught using an ultralight would face up to 20 years in prison and a $250,000 dollar fine. But local pilot and flight instructor H.L. Cooper believes if the legislation becomes law it won't hold up in court.

The problem that they're having is these planes they're using to get these drugs over the boarder - most of them if not all don't meet the criteria for the ultralight category. So they're calling them ultralights, but if they end up in a court battle and they bring the plane out and weigh it - they could get the case tossed. They need to redefine it," said Cooper.

Cooper says ultralights are defined as a small, single seat passenger aircraft that weighs under 250 pounds. He says the type of aircrafts drug smugglers normally use weigh between 250 and 1,300 pounds. That would put it into another category- either a "light sport" or "unregistered experimental" aircraft. That's where he says the legislation needs to be modified.

NORAD scrambles F-16 Fighters to Arizona-Mexico border - KGUN 9 On Your Side, Tucson News, Weather & Sports

Cooper says ultralights are defined as a small, single seat passenger aircraft that weighs under 250 pounds. He says the type of aircrafts drug smugglers normally use weigh between 250 and 1,300 pounds. That would put it into another category- either a "light sport" or "unregistered experimental" aircraft. That's where he says the legislation needs to be modified.

eeeeehhhhhhh???????? between 250 - 1,300 pounds???? What's wrong with Arizona government? Are they so misguided and blind that they will start passing laws targeting at everything relating to Mexico?

quicksilver_mx_ultralight.jpg

This is a similar ultralight aircraft that was flown in Arizona from Mexico. The typical "useful" load the aircraft can carry including fuel and pilot is less than 400 lbs and it's not that easy.

400 lbs is a lot of heroin, pot, cocaine etc

it's not that easy to transport it. the heavier it is, the more fuel it consumes, the shorter distance is (possibly less than 200 miles). and not cost effective. Drug Cartels are equivalent to Fortune 100 CEOs. They wouldn't run this business with that silly method. After all - they built dozens of underground tunnels that costs millions of dollars - from Mexico to Arizona.

going by Arizona street value price -
400 lbs of marijuana - $110
400 lbs of heroin - $84
400 lbs of cocaine - $89

woop-de-doooooo!!!!! maybe a small-timer would do this but then... I doubt it since they can't afford it! It costs at least $2,000-4,000 to buy ultralight aircraft and you'll need a competent pilot to fly one. either way - why should they fly out some $100 worth of drug when you gotta pay for fuel back and forth? and also pilot. ridiculous.

if they used Cessna plane... now that's a different story but Cessna plane is not categorized as "ultralight plane". Arizona government needs to wake up from this rabid hype.

400 lbs of heroin - $84
400 lbs of cocaine - $89

Where do you buy????? We gonna be RICH$$$$$$$$

Where do you buy????? We gonna be RICH$$$$$$$$

Colorado. It's legal to grow marijuana for medicinal purpose. Just gotta apply for license. There you go :)

One pound of Cocaine is about $35,000 to $40,000

problem is - says who? You'll have to show me the source of that but chance is - you got it off from news where the police made a drug bust. the law enforcement tends to overprice it.... by a mile for political agenda.

problem is - says who? You'll have to show me the source of that but chance is - you got it off from news where the police made a drug bust. the law enforcement tends to overprice it.... by a mile for political agenda.

There are 453 grams in a pound. Street value for powder cocaine does vary but is in the range of $60-$100 per gram. An "eightball" 3 1/2 grams (1/8 of an ounce) usually goes for $275- 325.

400 pounds of cocaine......at it's cheapest would be worth millions.

Yeah but how much money did we spend scrambling the jets and get it airborne, shadow the ultralight for 30 minutes and come back. How much did that all cost? I'd say shoot down an ultralight the next time when it flies from Mexico into the U.S. For all we know they could've been spraying dangerous biological agents or doing a dry run to test air defenses.

There are 453 grams in a pound. Street value for powder cocaine does vary but is in the range of $60-$100 per gram. An "eightball" 3 1/2 grams (1/8 of an ounce) usually goes for $275- 325.

400 pounds of cocaine......at it's cheapest would be worth millions.

I just looked back. yup - I made an error. a bad mathematical error. I was calculating the grams instead of pounds :roll:

Drug bust nets cocaine with street value of $9000
Dyersburg Police bike patrol officers executed a search warrant on Monday afternoon, which resulted in the arrests of two Dyersburg residents and the seizure of approximately 245 grams of suspected cocaine with an estimated street value of $9,000.
Officers were granted a search warrant for the residence of Elton Hern, 31, and Dorothy Brown, 31, at 311 Bishop St.

A search of the house led to the seizure of the suspected cocaine, a .38 revolver handgun, a 2005 Ford Expedition and a 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix.

Officers also located suspected cocaine inside one of the couple's vehicles.

Brown is charged with unlawful possession of a weapon and possession of cocaine with intent to sell. Hearn is charged with a felon being in possession of a weapon and possession of cocaine with intent to sell.

Both are being held at the Dyer County Law Enforcement Complex pending a hearing in Dyersburg City Court.

with this price, 1 lb of cocaine would be $16,641

Large quantities of cash, meth, cocaine, and marijuana seized by DPS this past week
Over $350,000 in cash, $216,000 in Marijuana, $133,000 in Meth, and $86,000 in Cocaine seized

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 -
Several key traffic stops made by DPS officers this past week resulted in the seizure of $358,731 in U.S Currency, seven pounds of cocaine with a street value of $86,880, five pounds of methamphetamine with a street value of $133,000, and over 394 pounds of marijuana with a street value of $216,700.

One of the more significant cash seizures took place on Wednesday, Oct. 21, 2009 at about 11:45 a.m. at the Burnt Wells Rest Area near Tonopah, when a DPS Officer casually conversed with a man there and noticed signs and indicators of criminal activity. A subsequent canine alert and search of the truck revealed $140,120 in U.S. Currency hidden inside the firewall of the truck cab. An additional $1,527 was found on the suspect for a total of $141,647 seized. The suspect, Javier Covarruvias Guzm, 20, of Indio, Calif. was arrested and booked into the Maricopa County Jail on numerous charges to include money laundering. The cash, the suspect’s silver 2005 Dodge Ram Pick Up and his white 2000 Polaris all terrain vehicle (ATV) were seized.

One of the more significant narcotics seizures took place on Friday, Oct. 23, 2009 at about 1:10 p.m. when a DPS officer stopped a rental motor-home traveling north on Interstate 17 near Cordes Junction for a traffic violation. The officer observed indicators of criminal activity and received consent to search the motor-home when he located two large duffel bags in sleeper area above cab of vehicle and one small duffel bag in rear closet which contained large quantities of marijuana. The marijuana totaled 109 pounds with a street value of $104,500 in Arizona. Both the driver, Richard Edward Kesek, 35, of Phoenix, Ariz. and the passenger, Jan Lysy, 37, of Chicago, IL were arrested and booked into the Yavapai County Jail on charges of possession of marijuana, possession of marijuana for sale, transportation of marijuana for sale, and conspiracy to distribute/sell marijuana. The marijuana and was seized and the motor-home was returned to the rental company.

with this price, 1 lb of cocaine would be $12,411

based on those average... 400 lbs of cocaine would be $5,200,000. I just corrected the price of heroin because I used the wrong conversion. 400 lbs of heroin would be $12,000,000 (possible). either way - it's not easy to do heroin/cocaine business.

Looking at DEA statistic on Arizona (source) -

2008 Federal Drug Seizures
Cocaine: 1,905.8 kgs.
Heroin: 152.8 kgs.
Methamphetamine: 263.4 kgs
Marijuana: 351,992.4 kgs.
Hashish: 6.4 kgs
MDMA: 0.0 kgs/47 du
Meth Lab Incidents: 10 (DEA, state, and local)

whoa mama.

Yeah but how much money did we spend scrambling the jets and get it airborne, shadow the ultralight for 30 minutes and come back. How much did that all cost? I'd say shoot down an ultralight the next time when it flies from Mexico into the U.S. For all we know they could've been spraying dangerous biological agents or doing a dry run to test air defenses.

what if it was an innocent? kinda like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Air_Lines_Flight_007 , eh?

it's not that easy to transport it. the heavier it is, the more fuel it consumes, the shorter distance is (possibly less than 200 miles). and not cost effective. Drug Cartels are equivalent to Fortune 100 CEOs. They wouldn't run this business with that silly method. After all - they built dozens of underground tunnels that costs millions of dollars - from Mexico to Arizona.

400 lbs of heroin - $84
400 lbs of cocaine - $89

woop-de-doooooo!!!!! maybe a small-timer would do this but then... I doubt it since they can't afford it! It costs at least $2,000-4,000 to buy ultralight aircraft and you'll need a competent pilot to fly one. either way - why should they fly out some $100 worth of drug when you gotta pay for fuel back and forth? and also pilot. ridiculous.

if they used Cessna plane... now that's a different story but Cessna plane is not categorized as "ultralight plane". Arizona government needs to wake up from this rabid hype.
None of that means that someone would not do such a thing. And I think you better check your numbers again. Are you saying you can buy 400 lbs of cocaine for $89.00 on the streets of Arizona? Dude your numbers are waaaaaaaaaay off.

I am sorry but you do not have your finger on the pulse of the drug market. I don't think there is anywhere on the planet where you can get 400 lbs of cocaine for $89.00

Hmm....a fourth grade math problem? Try and get it down into the unit category of ounces. I don't think people on the street would buy it in the pounds for consumption unless they are quite well off. Admit that at least.

None of that means that someone would not do such a thing. And I think you better check your numbers again. Are you saying you can buy 400 lbs of cocaine for $89.00 on the streets of Arizona? Dude your numbers are waaaaaaaaaay off.

I am sorry but you do not have your finger on the pulse of the drug market. I don't think there is anywhere on the planet where you can get 400 lbs of cocaine for $89.00

made a correction up there. and also check the DEA drug stat.

The FAA regulates air travel and if they have a radar contact that crossed our border via air F-16's are automatically scrambled. If we didn't check it out, someone willing to do harm to our citizens would easily be able to "attack" a border city. I'm glad our Air Force tailed this idiot. They followed him for 30 min until he crossed back into Mexican airspace, it probably took them near that long to scamble and get a visual on the plane. So he was in our airspace for 30 min minimum. Even a slow flying ultralite can cover serious ground in the time it took the F-16's to meet him.

That'd be .72 cents per ounce! Is that something you can get at the Dollar Store?

Back