Nokia N800 Internet Tablet w/ wireless B/G and bluetooth

purplecatty

Reaction score
I came across a magazine ad at work. It's an internet tablet that allow you to do videophone chat (VoIP). Check the website: Nokia N800 Internet Tablet Main Page

click the "voip" button and watch this. It would be nice that deafie can use wireless Videochat. It have integrated webcam built into it. IT only use Wireless B/G and Bluetooth 2.0. So whenever you go to wireless hotspot or roaming in or out of house w/ wireless router, you can do videochat wirelessly. I am hoping that one day they will have celluar adapter that allow us to video chat anywhere as long as it's within celluar network. I heard Japan is testing cell videophone. It would be neato if they did on tmobile Sidekick!! LOL It'll be very addictive.:hmm:

BTW it's pretty much similiar to MYLO pager that allow you to use internet, AIM ect using Wireless B/G. Sold at Microcenter (just saw it and it is abot same size as SK.

Catty

I am hoping that one day they will have celluar adapter that allow us to video chat anywhere as long as it's within celluar network. I heard Japan is testing cell videophone.Catty

yes, cingular/att is testing on video calling that deaf ppl call right now ( i cant say the details or i will be in trouble), needless to say, cingular/att will release video calling this coming june. too bad slow tmobile has not released its own new 3g network to pubilc yet i know tmobile has tested their 3g somewhere.

yes, cingular/att is testing on video calling that deaf ppl call right now ( i cant say the details or i will be in trouble), needless to say, cingular/att will release video calling this coming june. too bad slow tmobile has not released its own new 3g network to pubilc yet i know tmobile has tested their 3g somewhere.

I hoped it's reasonably priced. I would be able to afford up to $40 a month or $49 a month if they offer unlimit Data plans. So I don't know how much they will offer for contract once it's out. I pay $29 a month on Tmobile SK2. So see what they can offer that attracts deafie w/ features. Cingular/Att better to have good signal and good customer service!

I undy you don't want go into detail. Or else they'll be all over ya. Same for me working for Govt.
Catty

It's really nice. I've been wantin' to buy one like this since last 2 weeks. LOL I will try to purchase Nokia N800 Internet Table when I get back from California on May 22nd. I will fly to San Diego on May 17th.

Will wait and see.... :fingersx:

Thanks for sharin' this with us, Purplecatty ! :)

It's really nice. I've been wantin' to buy one like this since last 2 weeks. LOL I will try to purchase Nokia N800 Internet Table when I get back from California on May 22nd. I will fly to San Diego on May 17th.

Will wait and see.... :fingersx:

Thanks for sharin' this with us, Purplecatty ! :)

Careful not to jump in too fast. Remmy that it's only 54 b/g wireless (will work with 54 b/g wireless router up to 400 to 800 feet or go to wireless "hotspot"), It's not even Celluar networked yet. Deafclimber mentioned it may come out soon this summer or later that you can be anywhere within celluar network. Be aware that hearing people think you're talking and laughing to urself unless you prove it's a webcam chat LOL. Take ur time unless you just simply don't care and wanted to be free from VP 'prison' LOL. Any laptops with wireless 54 b/g built in still can do webcams wirelessly. I use that alot outside on a beautiful day chatting to my 'imprisioned' friend who use vp100 inside their house. :ty:

You will still require to use Public IP address of your friend's VP to connect (AIM or Email ur friend asking for IP address then once you get it, dial Public IP address and you're connected and wave 'HI'). I don't have any hint of idea how to receive calls from VP since it's behind the router.
Catty

Careful not to jump in too fast. Remmy that it's only 54 b/g wireless (will work with 54 b/g wireless router up to 400 to 800 feet or go to wireless "hotspot"), It's not even Celluar networked yet. Deafclimber mentioned it may come out soon this summer or later that you can be anywhere within celluar network. Be aware that hearing people think you're talking and laughing to urself unless you prove it's a webcam chat LOL. Take ur time unless you just simply don't care and wanted to be free from VP 'prison' LOL. Any laptops with wireless 54 b/g built in still can do webcams wirelessly. I use that alot outside on a beautiful day chatting to my 'imprisioned' friend who use vp100 inside their house. :ty:

You will still require to use Public IP address of your friend's VP to connect (AIM or Email ur friend asking for IP address then once you get it, dial Public IP address and you're connected and wave 'HI'). I don't have any hint of idea how to receive calls from VP since it's behind the router.
Catty

Great ! Thanks for your advice. Of course, I'll take my time to check throughly first. ;) Will might ask lot of questions to be sure this is the right kind for me. If, I find myself not satisfied with what I learn, then I will might have to wait until this summer like DeafClimber mentioned. I still have a Palm One Treo 650. LOL But, I like the wide screen better than straight up screen for readin'.

Yep, I am aware of " hotspots " such as WiFi. :)

Thanks for the input........

I hoped it's reasonably priced. I would be able to afford up to $40 a month or $49 a month if they offer unlimit Data plans. So I don't know how much they will offer for contract once it's out. I pay $29 a month on Tmobile SK2. So see what they can offer that attracts deafie w/ features. Cingular/Att better to have good signal and good customer service!

I undy you don't want go into detail. Or else they'll be all over ya. Same for me working for Govt.
Catty

ok i had made a thread somewhere in AD that cingular/att offers TAP(text accessibility plan) to deaf mobile users - 30 dollars per month - unlimited internet plan with 5000 text messenges and .40 cent per a min voice.
Hearing Aid Compatibility and phones | Cingular Wireless

i think that video calling feature wud be approx 10 dollars per month. one problem is i dont know when cingular/att will provide PDA with front built in camera on it. i know several flipflop mobiles with front built in camera will be coming up very soon.

it wud be awesome if cingular/att will offer HTC TyTN to us. it is not cheap toy.

ok i had made a thread somewhere in AD that cingular/att offers TAP(text accessibility plan) to deaf mobile users - 30 dollars per month - unlimited internet plan with 5000 text messenges and .40 cent per a min voice.
Hearing Aid Compatibility and phones | Cingular Wireless

i think that video calling feature wud be approx 10 dollars per month. one problem is i dont know when cingular/att will provide PDA with front built in camera on it. i know several flipflop mobiles with front built in camera will be coming up very soon.

it wud be awesome if cingular/att will offer HTC TyTN to us. it is not cheap toy.

Yup ur right. $10 more for video isnt bad. I hope it's UNLIMITED!!! LOL
Thanks for Info!
Catty

Hello,

I saw Nokia N800 posting on the webpage already. It costs $399. But deafclimber says it will come this June (next month). I am puzzled which one is right. I am waitting for the right one.

I doubt about this webcam being compatible on what software.. Seem like it work only with Gmail?

what do u mean with "webcam being campatible on what software" ?

is it related to mobile ?

IT have built in Webcam. On specification list, it says "integrated webcam". It's built into the mobile device. They already preconfigured it to be compatible with software tho. Don't worry. It is of different OS, Not Windows.

Catty

IT have built in Webcam. On specification list, it says "integrated webcam". It's built into the mobile device. They already preconfigured it to be compatible with software tho. Don't worry. It is of different OS, Not Windows.

Catty

ok i understand. yes these mobiles have built in camera on front of the mobiles. i dont know if it is called webcam but that is understandable. thanks

cingular/att has a LG CU500v that has front built in camera.
see this Get Started | Cingular Wireless

to my knowledge, video calling does work on window mobile 6 and other o/s. hopefully cingular/att's PDA with wm6 and front built in camera will come out sometimes in late summer or early fall. it wud be cool for me to have HTC TyTN which has front built in camera. see this HTC: Products: HTC TyTN

you can buy that type in usa but it s not cheap - 750 to 1000 bucks. when cingular/att will release video calling, you can use HTC TyTN for video calling. i know some people in usa having TyTN. they said the TyTNs work just fine on cingular's 3G network but they are desperate to have video calling on their PDAs. :)

I want to see what brands and models come with webcam which are able to talk with live persons soon or this June. In United States only. Not Europe or Asia. Pls tell me.

I know ASL mobile (pager with webcam) takes time. Right now, they are on research project. They will be ready on the market within 1 or 2 years. I know I cannot hold my pants so long. So I ask you what brands and models are available for this year if you know.

webcam is not a formal word in mobile language. just say built-in camera.

if you really want any pda with front built in camera, i left a link to that website. see my post #14 - HTC TyTN. you can find it in ebay.com so when video share will release in june, you can add that feature to your mobile plan for that HyTN if you are att(formerly cingular) subscriber. i know several cyber friends have TyTN in usa. they work fine under att. they are waiting for video share to come out this coming june and i hope they will work on their TyTNs.

as i said before, pda with front built in camera for usa will come out very soon as far as i know. i cant tell the details because of conflicts of interests. however att has several flipflop mobiles with front built in cameras for video share.

It connects to open Wi-Fi networks (802.11b/g) or via cell phones using Bluetooth 2.0.

Deafclimber, if I have a Nokia N800 Internet Tablet, can I download sorenson envision SL program? So I can talk with someone thru built-in camera.

Deafclimber, if I have a Nokia N800 Internet Tablet, can I download sorenson envision SL program? So I can talk with someone thru built-in camera.

no it wont work because sorenson envision sl program is designed for windows only. you can ask sorenson to program that for n800. :)

Back