No interpreters for school system.

when Lotte gets older, what happens then? Can she still catch up and be on par with her CI alone?
I see no reason why she wouldn't be.. Everything is indicating that she's doing good.. Any deviation from that will hopefully be detected by us, and corrected by us, and if needed, the nessasary help from relevant departments will be called in.

She's not on her own..

I see no reason why she wouldn't be.. Everything is indicating that she's doing good.. Any deviation from that will hopefully be detected by us, and corrected by us, and if needed, the nessasary help from relevant departments will be called in.

She's not on her own..

:thumb:

She's not on her own..

Cloggy, yes but I think what you guys are missing is that a big part of the reason why there are still Deaf Schools is that, while oral kids can do decently early on, their acheivement tends to plautuou....and unfortunatly most general sped departments don't have a lot of experiance with dhh kids.

Sign language may be an efficient way... but my kid would be the only one in the school who could use it because of the lack of not only peers, but interpreters.

As far as the deaf school in Iowa, it is 280 miles away. I know people who put their 10 year old on a bus every Sunday night and send him off to school not to see him again until Friday night. That is no life for my kid.

Iowaboy, while I DO agree that kids, especially little kids SHOULD live at home and attend day school, I think you may change your mind as your kid gets older. Especially around middle and high school, which can be really really bad.It IS hard to send a kid off to school....but on the other hand, it cane be a VERY positive experiance. it's hard not to see Mom and Dad, but on the other hand a really good dorm experiance can be AMAZING. Especially for middle schoolers and teens.

Iowaboy, while I DO agree that kids, especially little kids SHOULD live at home and attend day school, I think you may change your mind as your kid gets older. Especially around middle and high school, which can be really really bad.It IS hard to send a kid off to school....but on the other hand, it cane be a VERY positive experiance. it's hard not to see Mom and Dad, but on the other hand a really good dorm experiance can be AMAZING. Especially for middle schoolers and teens.

Do you have children? Have you sent them away to school? I don't have kids, but I imagine it would be heartbreaking both for parents and for kids to rip apart a family.

Interestingly, the hospital in our town has not had an ASL interpreter available for 8 years, because they say there just aren't any to be had. But then again they tell us it has never come up, and they never used the terp they had way back when.

Kind of makes me want to go back to school...

can you fire me a PM on where you are located in Iowa.

I've lived in Iowa. Worked as an interpreter there. I still have pretty good connections in Iowa as far as interpreters.

Do you have children? Have you sent them away to school? I don't have kids, but I imagine it would be heartbreaking both for parents and for kids to rip apart a family.

deafguy, I am not nessarily talking about little kids. It horrified me when some of my friends told me that there were 4 year olds in the dorms when they were there as a matter of fact. I think most little kids can benifit more from day programming...BUT, that's not to say that say middle schoolers/high schoolers might not benifit from living at school. The thing is.....a lot of wealthy families send their kids to live at school for high school...how is that any different? How is sending an older kid (say 8/9/10 and up) any different from say sending them to overnight camp for the summer?
Besides, what if there are dhh kids who are in really bad living situtions, like I dunno abusive or neglective families? What about dhh kids who are from very poor families or families that live in really dangerous areas?

Sign language may be an efficient way... but my kid would be the only one in the school who could use it because of the lack of not only peers, but interpreters.

As far as the deaf school in Iowa, it is 280 miles away. I know people who put their 10 year old on a bus every Sunday night and send him off to school not to see him again until Friday night. That is no life for my kid.

Let us know if you have different peers of placing your kid to a deaf school, but that's up to you. They have supervisors in buses to keep eye on younger kids while on the way to deaf school. I rode the bus home/school for 90 miles away and went to California School for the Deaf in Fremont. It wasn't a problem for me and it was fun. You get the break from kids for a week which is one of the pluses.

deafguy, I am not nessarily talking about little kids. It horrified me when some of my friends told me that there were 4 year olds in the dorms when they were there as a matter of fact. I think most little kids can benifit more from day programming...BUT, that's not to say that say middle schoolers/high schoolers might not benifit from living at school. The thing is.....a lot of wealthy families send their kids to live at school for high school...how is that any different? How is sending an older kid (say 8/9/10 and up) any different from say sending them to overnight camp for the summer?
Besides, what if there are dhh kids who are in really bad living situtions, like I dunno abusive or neglective families? What about dhh kids who are from very poor families or families that live in really dangerous areas?

And the very wealthy are bastions of amazing parenting that we should all emulate :roll:

You really don't see the difference between sending an 8 year old away to live with strangers 5/7ths of their lives and summer camp? Do you know how much a child (and 8,9, and 10 year olds are certainly still children developmentally!) still needs their parents?

And the very wealthy are bastions of amazing parenting that we should all emulate :roll:

You really don't see the difference between sending an 8 year old away to live with strangers 5/7ths of their lives and summer camp? Do you know how much a child (and 8,9, and 10 year olds are certainly still children developmentally!) still needs their parents?

I am not saying that it's an ideal sitution. If someone asked me, I would strongly reccomend day school placement. You are right.....little kids need to stay at home. If possible, I think parents would need to move to Deaf School or send the kid to a dhh regional program, until they are old enough to go off to school. ...BUT I'm just saying that I think there are exceptions to the rule. That is all. And yes, kids still need their parents. I'm just saying that sometimes it's not a black and white issue. Heck, there are deaf kids whose parents do not sign, and who don't really benifit all that much from "home life"

On the other hand, you're assuming that she will be on par with her spoken language. Even hoh kids can have major issues. Just b/c a dhh kid uses spoken language, it doesn't mean that hearing kids are their "spoken language" peers. That would be OTHER oral kids...and that's actually why until recently CID/St. Joseph's/Clarke had a sizable dorm program. Imagine sending your kid off to St. Louis or Northampton and only seeing them for vacations?!?! Heck, even when I was little, there were still five year olds in the dorms at the oral schools?!?!?!
Oral kids can do well, but they still have significent delays and needs that cannot be addressed at a neighborhood hearing school. We KNOW that regular school regular classes at the neighborhood school is painted as an ideal placement. That can be a good placement for some kids.....but overall those kids are the kids who would have done well even BEFORE mainstreaming became the norm. Even kids who do well academicly still have major social emotional and peer realtion problems...not to mention being in the Resource Room (an education which is designed for hearing LD kids) for a lot of subjects.

Public colleges do have admission, but because they're state-operated...well, see above. Private is usually operated in conjunction with a church or board members. I'm not saying it's not possible to get what you want with a private school/college, but it's much, much more difficult.

A public primary/secondary school doesn't have admission. Sorry for not making that clear earlier.

Admission for ASL interpretor programs are pretty bleak. When I took ASL 1, my class was completely full (with people trying to be added to the class). As time went on, you could barely get more than five students in any ASL class. People seem to be more interested in spoken interpretation. People are not going all the way in these programs (ASL).

Back