next friday! new aids?

HOH33stars

Reaction score
Hello all!
So I'm very excited...I have an appointment with an audiologist for next friday (the 22nd). My advisor who called me said that it was to get me hooked up with something to help in the classroom...I don't know if that means a set of aids on loan...or an FM system. Not sure.
We're still working on getting some sort of financial support to help pay for aids...I found out that my local vocational rehab in my state won't be able to help due to some other circumstances...
If this appointment is for new aids...what should I expect? What happens when you go in to get aids for the first time?
I'm really excited...yet pretty scared. I am excited simply because I'm hoping it's going to make life in general so much easier...I'm so tired of constantly asking people to repeat themselves and still not understanding them even when they do! It's really going to help in the classroom...maybe now I won't have to look at my neighbor's notebook to see what I missed...or ask a ton of questions after class...or study extra extra EXTRA hard because i missed things! maybe i'll actually want to talk on the phone more?
am i being too overly optimistic?
what should i expect if i do get a set of aids next friday?

I doubt it's for new aids. It's probably FM system.

Regardless - My guess is that you never wore hearing aids? So, if you have residual hearing left, it WILL sound very loud, to the point where it feels like it's vibrating. That's is to be expected. Just keep it on for a couple hours, turn it off, on again. This is like a huge wake up call to your hair cells in the cochlea.

After a day or two, things will sound much more clearer.

You may be a tad bit overly optimistic. I had hearing aids for many years, and my comprehension skills wasn't the greatest. I am able to understand people with help of lip reading. But over time, it just got worse....hence why the CI.

Wish you best of luck!!

I doubt it's for new aids. It's probably FM system.

Regardless - My guess is that you never wore hearing aids? So, if you have residual hearing left, it WILL sound very loud, to the point where it feels like it's vibrating. That's is to be expected. Just keep it on for a couple hours, turn it off, on again. This is like a huge wake up call to your hair cells in the cochlea.

After a day or two, things will sound much more clearer.

You may be a tad bit overly optimistic. I had hearing aids for many years, and my comprehension skills wasn't the greatest. I am able to understand people with help of lip reading. But over time, it just got worse....hence why the CI.

Wish you best of luck!!

No, I've never worn hearing aids. I've needed them for a while...but now that i'm back in classes in school, i'm having a huge issue with understanding what's happening. my social life too is pretty much shot...mostly because i've worked myself into a little bubble because i have trouble carrying on conversation without asking a person to repeat themselves every other sentence...i rely a LOT on seeing people's mouths...but it also is awkward :Oops:
i'm a bit nervous about it all...like being able to hear more than i have been. i know that i've been missing out on a lot...but i'm also so used to that!
i'm just kinda nervous about all of a sudden "hearing" again...i don't really remember what it's like to hear everything, ya know?

No, I've never worn hearing aids. I've needed them for a while...but now that i'm back in classes in school, i'm having a huge issue with understanding what's happening. my social life too is pretty much shot...mostly because i've worked myself into a little bubble because i have trouble carrying on conversation without asking a person to repeat themselves every other sentence...i rely a LOT on seeing people's mouths...but it also is awkward :Oops:
i'm a bit nervous about it all...like being able to hear more than i have been. i know that i've been missing out on a lot...but i'm also so used to that!
i'm just kinda nervous about all of a sudden "hearing" again...i don't really remember what it's like to hear everything, ya know?

Yeah I know how you feel. For the past couple colleges that I've been to (yeah I know, I can't seem to settle on one major!), I'm the only deaf person there, so I always seem to isolate myself. However, since I've gotten the implants I seem to be more outgoing, and can understand people much better. It's not 100%, but a lot better than wearing HA.

I'm excited for you and hope everything goes well!

Yeah I know how you feel. For the past couple colleges that I've been to (yeah I know, I can't seem to settle on one major!), I'm the only deaf person there, so I always seem to isolate myself. However, since I've gotten the implants I seem to be more outgoing, and can understand people much better. It's not 100%, but a lot better than wearing HA.

I'm excited for you and hope everything goes well!

Thank you so much!
Yeah I've bounced between a few colleges (money...college is so expensive!!)but in the past years have mostly been working online towards my degree (hence the reason i didn't really notice how bad my hearing really was...i struggled at work, but figured that it was the environment that made me have to have people constantly repeat themselves, etc.)...ANYWAY, i'm now double majoring because i couldn't decide on just one major either! LOL! What have you decided to major in?
Have you ever used an FM system in your studies? Can you get by on just the hearing aids instead of using an FM system (i have this huge anxiety about inconveniencing my professors or standing out in the class...)? Last semester (which was my first semester back) I ended up telling my english teacher about my hearing loss because i was having trouble understanding her in class...and she did end up staying in one spot so i could lipread...however, she called me out in class A LOT! she was like, "Lindsey, what did you think since you got to watch the movie early with captions?" (she wouldn't show the movie in subtitles in the classroom, so i had to borrow them to watch them outside of class so i could actually understand what was going on!) or...she would be like "guys, you need to speak up so lindsey can hear you!" granted she was older...but goodness, it made me want to go hide in a hole! that's NOT what i want my entire college career to consist of!

By law she can't do that. If you have an student plan or IEP which you should! She can't disclose your disability to anyone even if they ask about the fm system the teacher cannot say who is hoh/deaf in the class. It's apart of the confidentiality thing. My teacher once was like "TESTING..TESTING...ALICIA CAN YOU HEAR ME!!!!!!!!!!!" everyone was like?? cuz they know im hoh but even they said that was uncalled for!

By law she can't do that. If you have an student plan or IEP which you should! She can't disclose your disability to anyone even if they ask about the fm system the teacher cannot say who is hoh/deaf in the class. It's apart of the confidentiality thing. My teacher once was like "TESTING..TESTING...ALICIA CAN YOU HEAR ME!!!!!!!!!!!" everyone was like?? cuz they know im hoh but even they said that was uncalled for!

That's exactly what i'm afraid of...especially after dealing with my english teacher...and she was the first teacher that i had the guts to tell about being HOH. it took enough to go down and get the form for disability services...i still haven't filled it out-for that very reason. i just want to be normal. not treated any differently. for that reason...i'm hoping that on friday i get the aids...because then i can just wear them...and hopefully that will solve everything without me having to tell every single teacher that i have difficulty hearing...:|

Trust me it is much better to have ur teachers know then for them to think ur ignorant and don't want to learn! They have to abide by the student-teacher confidentiality and they can't tell the class or anyone in it about your disability. You can tell as many ppl as u want but they themselves cannot make it known to the class unless u gave them permission. Don't hesitate to talk to ur counselor about all of your worries, they can really help sometimes!

I've had a professor in class do the same thing.......but since it was a college, most of the students and actually the professor was still helpful. I usually joke a lot, so sometimes when I do have some of those little oversights like "did you understand me??" in class, sometimes I play a little stupid. Of course I had oral interpretors (two) in all my classes, so was able to afford the joking, as the interpretors would be able to tell me most everything (I've even had one offer to write some things down :) ).

I'm surprised you have not been able to ask for oral interpretor help!! I know it can become a social thing......depending what type of school setting it is. Are you located in the United States?

I've had a professor in class do the same thing.......but since it was a college, most of the students and actually the professor was still helpful. I usually joke a lot, so sometimes when I do have some of those little oversights like "did you understand me??" in class, sometimes I play a little stupid. Of course I had oral interpretors (two) in all my classes, so was able to afford the joking, as the interpretors would be able to tell me most everything (I've even had one offer to write some things down :) ).

I'm surprised you have not been able to ask for oral interpretor help!! I know it can become a social thing......depending what type of school setting it is. Are you located in the United States?

This is all brand new to me since I just returned to college (I am in the USA) and I was just diagnosed as HOH (even though i suspected it for quite a while...). Right now I'm still working on the whole self-advocacy thing...and actually being able to say that I'm HOH to people instead of me just trying to "fake it" through conversations and on the phone...ANYWAY...
as for an oral interp...i'm sure that i probably could get one if i requested it. i'm not ready to go there yet though...i want to see what happens if i get a set of aids...or at least work with an FM system, ya know?
again though...a big part of me just wants to close up into a shell and "fake my way through life" because i've done it for so long...i just don't want people making a deal out of it. i want to be treated the same, not have people treat me differently because i'm HOH. i don't want people to think that i'm getting "special treatment" because i'm HOH...i want to earn my grades fair and square-i don't want people to think that i don't have to work just as hard to get my 4.0...i feel like i'm working twice as hard as everyone else because i don't understand half of what is said in class! no one else though would realize that if they knew i was getting help because i was HOH, ya know?

This is all brand new to me since I just returned to college (I am in the USA) and I was just diagnosed as HOH (even though i suspected it for quite a while...). Right now I'm still working on the whole self-advocacy thing...and actually being able to say that I'm HOH to people instead of me just trying to "fake it" through conversations and on the phone...ANYWAY...
as for an oral interp...i'm sure that i probably could get one if i requested it. i'm not ready to go there yet though...i want to see what happens if i get a set of aids...or at least work with an FM system, ya know?
again though...a big part of me just wants to close up into a shell and "fake my way through life" because i've done it for so long...i just don't want people making a deal out of it. i want to be treated the same, not have people treat me differently because i'm HOH. i don't want people to think that i'm getting "special treatment" because i'm HOH...i want to earn my grades fair and square-i don't want people to think that i don't have to work just as hard to get my 4.0...i feel like i'm working twice as hard as everyone else because i don't understand half of what is said in class! no one else though would realize that if they knew i was getting help because i was HOH, ya know?

You do not have to fake anything in college, it's not the same as high school...I know.....most college students are adults about this, and if there are some that is not, they will grow up real quick!! I think it's probably because you seem to indirectly shy away from talking to people because of the lack of hearing assistance. I think once you get some sort of hearing assistance to help you hear better, you will be a little more outgoing. I don't think because you get a little extra help from the professor that you are being treated differently. What if the prof treated you as the others. You will get way behind. If you want equal, then you could try online classes. They may be hard, but there are no boundaries here......

I just got my degree after 5 years of college. It was great!! In the beginning I had only notetakers to help me...two years later, I decided I needed more help. My counselor agreed and gave be oral interpreter help.

You can also ask if they can give you remote captionist (like a court reporter) help, so the class would not directly know that you have a real disability. The problem with this is the college may not want to use this because of "reasonable accommodation". They would probably go the cheapest and build their way up.

In short, if you don't feel the FM stuff will work (or hearing aids if they give you some) DO NOT hesitate to ask for interpreter help. If you have no problem lipreading, they are a tremendous help! Also ask for notetaking help, because you will be spending all your time lipreading and have no time to write things down....good luck!!

Well, what is the verdict? have you got your new equipment yet?

Well, what is the verdict? have you got your new equipment yet?

For the time being I have a temporary loan aid in my left ear-HUGE difference even though it's not strong enough. It's programmed as high it will go-but I need stronger aids. I'm applying to HEAR NOW so hopefully I'll get approved and I can get a set of aids that is more to my hearing. She did retest my hearing...definitely confirmed with a moderate hearing loss...I wanted my aids turned up to over 100db...she said though that my reflex is at 85db so that's where we'll start once I get aids. I'm currently wearing the Sonic Innovation's ION as an open fit aid, but she wants me to get the Starkey Destiny 1200 extra power BTE aids (one for each ear). I can only imagine what it will be like to have a set of powerful aids...because the difference with even just the one i'm wearing now is HUGE! i LOVE it! I never want to take it off! ::HUGE GRIN::

For the time being I have a temporary loan aid in my left ear-HUGE difference even though it's not strong enough. It's programmed as high it will go-but I need stronger aids. I'm applying to HEAR NOW so hopefully I'll get approved and I can get a set of aids that is more to my hearing. She did retest my hearing...definitely confirmed with a moderate hearing loss...I wanted my aids turned up to over 100db...she said though that my reflex is at 85db so that's where we'll start once I get aids. I'm currently wearing the Sonic Innovation's ION as an open fit aid, but she wants me to get the Starkey Destiny 1200 extra power BTE aids (one for each ear). I can only imagine what it will be like to have a set of powerful aids...because the difference with even just the one i'm wearing now is HUGE! i LOVE it! I never want to take it off! ::HUGE GRIN::

Awesome!! I have never heard of Hearing Aids being given for college use, but anything is possible. You are entitled to a "fair and square" college education and also equal opportunity in a job. What ever it takes to make you even to your peers, that's what it's going to take, hearing aids, FM equipment, and other perks such as interpreters, etc. I had notetaking for over half my college career, then decided I needed more. Oral interpreters were next, and continued until I finished this past semester.

Have a great hearing experience!! The next ones will be more tailored to your ears and a lot better!!

BTW, I use Phonak Naida UP aids, power for the profound hearing losses....

Naída Phonak - Home

cheers!!

Back