Newly HOH Horseback Rider

ShinaKonga

Reaction score
Figured I'd throw that out there.
I'm Savanna, i'm 19, and I was recently diagnosed with unilateral hearing loss in my left ear when I was 16. Since they couldn't find an exact cause of my hearing loss, I was never given the option of acquiring a hearing aid... So I, literally, went online and bought a sound amplifier. That made do for a while, until they ended up finding the cause six months ago (Missing 'hair' in my cochlea... How was this not discovered earlier?).
I am now cleared for a hearing aid, just saving up whatever money I have left until I have enough to get me something. I'd leave it be, but between work and school, I'd really like to be able to hear better. My only worry is loosing it off my horse and having it tossed up in the dirt and lost!

Thank you for reading.

You should see if you can get help with the cost of your hearing aide as you're going to school and working. Try looking on line to see what kind of help is available in your state.

http://deafservices.utah.gov/?cat=3

here is a link for a deaf center in your state , they may be able to help you find help in paying for your HA.

Thank you. So much. I don't come from a family with hearing problems, so I'm feeling around in the dark here. Checking the website out now.

I am the only one is my famliy that has a hearing lost. I was born HOH and no one knew it until I was 7 year sold. I am surprised you had to wait to find out why you're HOH before getting a HA. I thought if you had a hearing test and it showed you had a hearing lost and you could benefit from wearing a HA you could get one. That was how it work with me and this was many moons ago!

I am the only one is my famliy that has a hearing lost. I was born HOH and no one knew it until I was 7 year sold. I am surprised you had to wait to find out why you're HOH before getting a HA. I thought if you had a hearing test and it showed you had a hearing lost and you could benefit from wearing a HA you could get one. That was how it work with me and this was many moons ago!

Small town- doctor who was testing me (ENT) was the father of a brutal girl I went to school with. He called me a liar in front of my mother and sent me out of his office. We never went back, and I was too shook up to pursue anything else.

Got tested again in Montana when I lived up there doing horse training- couldn't focus on the job with all the noise in the barn. The woman (Audiologist) was also HOH and was visibly angered over how they treated me in my hometown. I was terrified to meet with her and get another test done, but all in all, I got more answers in that small session than I did with my previous doctor visit.

Small town- doctor who was testing me (ENT) was the father of a brutal girl I went to school with. He called me a liar in front of my mother and sent me out of his office. We never went back, and I was too shook up to pursue anything else.

Got tested again in Montana when I lived up there doing horse training- couldn't focus on the job with all the noise in the barn. The woman (Audiologist) was also HOH and was visibly angered over how they treated me in my hometown. I was terrified to meet with her and get another test done, but all in all, I got more answers in that small session than I did with my previous doctor visit.

That is disgusting that doctor called you a liar. You should had reported him to someone! I am glad you found a better audiologist , you should ask her if she know how you could get help paying for your HA. I live in Massachusetts and Mass. Rehab helped paid for my HA when I was going to collage.

That is disgusting that doctor called you a liar. You should had reported him to someone! I am glad you found a better audiologist , you should ask her if she know how you could get help paying for your HA. I live in Massachusetts and Mass. Rehab helped paid for my HA when I was going to collage.

I should've figured his daughter picked up her nasty behavior from someone, LOL. Reporting him would have led to a bunch of other trouble, and at that point I didn't want to step back into that office or deal with my hearing ever again.

I will be going into my university Disabilities Center to see what I can do there- I'm not finding much on the website you showed me. I was considering getting something when I got taxes back, but if they can help out I might be able to do it sooner.

I should've figured his daughter picked up her nasty behavior from someone, LOL. Reporting him would have led to a bunch of other trouble, and at that point I didn't want to step back into that office or deal with my hearing ever again.

I will be going into my university Disabilities Center to see what I can do there- I'm not finding much on the website you showed me. I was considering getting something when I got taxes back, but if they can help out I might be able to do it sooner.

The Utah Association for the Deaf, established in 1909, is one of the oldest state associations in the United States. Its first president was a woman, Elizabeth DeLong – and this was before women were granted the right to vote!
The UAD has a long list of accomplishments of which we are proud. The UAD was responsible for the establishment of the Sanderson Community Center for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, the Utah Interpreter Service, the Interpreting Training Program at Salt Lake Community College, the Utah Relay Service, and a bookstore with deaf and hard of hearing products. It supports organizations dealing with deaf children and young adults. The UAD Bulletin is published monthly with local news and informational articles.
Two free email services are open to anyone who is interested. UAD Announce distributes news of interest to the Utah deaf and hard of hearing community, and CMoviesUtah gives a weekly listing of captioned movies showing in West Valley and Provo.
You might wonder what your membership means to you. Click here to find out more information about membership.

OLD: How to pay for your UAD membership? There are ways:
NEW: Membership dues are $20.00 per person per year. Here’s how you can pay for yours:

Philippe Montalette, President
Utah Association for the Deaf

2011 UAD Conference
Gallery Photos: click here to view pictures.

I found this by clicking onto resources it on the right of the web site. The Utah Association for the Deaf is one of the oldest of it kind in USA. I found this interesting . I thought Massachusetts would be that state .

The Utah Association for the Deaf, established in 1909, is one of the oldest state associations in the United States. Its first president was a woman, Elizabeth DeLong – and this was before women were granted the right to vote!
The UAD has a long list of accomplishments of which we are proud. The UAD was responsible for the establishment of the Sanderson Community Center for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, the Utah Interpreter Service, the Interpreting Training Program at Salt Lake Community College, the Utah Relay Service, and a bookstore with deaf and hard of hearing products. It supports organizations dealing with deaf children and young adults. The UAD Bulletin is published monthly with local news and informational articles.
Two free email services are open to anyone who is interested. UAD Announce distributes news of interest to the Utah deaf and hard of hearing community, and CMoviesUtah gives a weekly listing of captioned movies showing in West Valley and Provo.
You might wonder what your membership means to you. Click here to find out more information about membership.

OLD: How to pay for your UAD membership? There are ways:
NEW: Membership dues are $20.00 per person per year. Here’s how you can pay for yours:

Philippe Montalette, President
Utah Association for the Deaf

2011 UAD Conference
Gallery Photos: click here to view pictures.

I found this by clicking onto resources it on the right of the web site. The Utah Association for the Deaf is one of the oldest of it kind in USA. I found this interesting . I thought Massachusetts would be that state .

Well damn. I guess I didn't look hard enough! Thank you for digging that up for poor technologically-challenged me...

since you have hearing loss in one ear, I would definitively go for a CROS if I were you :D

I considered it... It would be a tossup. I grew up hearing, and with the level my left ear is at right now, its a severe loss. It can be aided, or it can be diverted with a CROS. I want to try aiding it first so, because it would be an easier adjustment than sending sound to the right.

I considered it... It would be a tossup. I grew up hearing, and with the level my left ear is at right now, its a severe loss. It can be aided, or it can be diverted with a CROS. I want to try aiding it first so, because it would be an easier adjustment than sending sound to the right.

see? that's what I call easy as pie.
there's Phonak, Starkey (Dixie has those and if U asked, yes that dude has a CROS so you'll see him popping up like a ninja on these forums!) and of course, the Unitron Tandem *also a CROS*

You may have to adapt to riding horses without wearing equipment. There are devices you can get to secure the hearing aid to your ear more, but they aren't rock solid, and it's just not worth the possible loss and damage.

Welcome, by the way!

I wouldn't worry too much about riding. I used to ride and never had a problem in spite of having a number of pretty rough falls. The design of my helmet also had straps that happened to end up running across my ears, so a bit of extra protection just by chance. Point is, horses never managed to knock mine out.

Unless ur getting smashed up against the boards like in hockey i doubt u will have anyproblems with keeping your hearing aid secure. I wore em as a kid and i was hyperactive and i never had issues. I rode a horse once..... my family still laughs about how much i complained my crotch was hurting me during the ride lol

Back