Accepting524

Reaction score
So I have been struggling with my hearing. I knew it was getting bad for about two years. Finally I went to see a audiologist because I went to a party two weeks ago and I was completely lost trying to keep up with the conversation. There is a family history of late onset deafness but no one into immediate family. Sure enough I went to the doctor and I have severe hearing loss in one ear and moderate in the other. Today I pick up my hearing aids. I'm nervous and really don't know what to expect. Getting hearing aids was extremely hard for me. I didn't want to admit I was losing my hearing. I'm only 32 and the idea that I will be like my aunt and cousins who became deaf by 40 is a really scary thing. My cousin told me about this site. When she was struggling with her diagnosis a few years ago she met some good people who helped. Here I am. I guess I'm looking for a friend.

On my way home from the audiologist and it is extremely strange. Everything seems very loud and I really had no idea how many sounds I was missing.

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

welcome to the board!!!!! my hearing loss is mainly like yours but weirder if you read my signature, that'll tell you

The amazing thing is that I found out I was pregnant a few days ago and my audio said that with the hearing aids I should be able to hear the heart beat at my sonogram. That didn't even go through my head but my husband asked the audiologist. He said that the doctor should be able to make it loud enough for me to hear. I know ASL because of my cousins and aunt. I took classes when my cousin started about 6 years ago. I'm fairly fluent. My husband is going to start taking classes. He knows some and took a class or two. He has been really amazing.

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. Have fun reading and posting here. See you around here. :wave:

My cousins have even real helpful but in some ways they are kind if making me nervous. My older cousin was married when her hearing all but disappeared. He divorced her and she has had many problems with hearing people. She told me to prepare for my life to change if I do in fact loose the remainder of my hearing. My husband has been amazing but she said he will more than likely leave. She also told me that I will be treated differently by everyone and that many of my friends will dessert me. I don't think that will happen because I trust my friends and my husband but I'm kind of scared. I guess now that the hubby is sleeping I am starting to think about things. Starting to feel a little lost. It's hard to watch tv once he falls asleep because I can only hear it when it's loud or I have my hearing aids in. It was mostly a good day though. :)

Sent from my iPad using AllDeaf

Do you use closed captioning to watch tv? I can't hear the tv at all but I can still totally enjoy it.

My cousins have even real helpful but in some ways they are kind if making me nervous. My older cousin was married when her hearing all but disappeared. He divorced her and she has had many problems with hearing people. She told me to prepare for my life to change if I do in fact loose the remainder of my hearing. My husband has been amazing but she said he will more than likely leave. She also told me that I will be treated differently by everyone and that many of my friends will dessert me. I don't think that will happen because I trust my friends and my husband but I'm kind of scared. I guess now that the hubby is sleeping I am starting to think about things. Starting to feel a little lost. It's hard to watch tv once he falls asleep because I can only hear it when it's loud or I have my hearing aids in. It was mostly a good day though. :)

Every one is different when it come to relationship or marriage. It depend if your husband trust you and remain to be on your side. But if he get sick of being with you because of your hearing loss, then he might decide to leave. Being married is not easy anyway, no matter what the crisis develop. I do hope he remain to stay with you regardless of your hearing loss.

Congratulation on getting pregnant. You don't have to hear the sound of the sonogram. You can watch the motions in the screen that the baby's heart is beating. I don't like what the audiologist was telling you to do that in the name of sounds. It does not matter whether you be able to hear with CI or hearing aid. You just have to see the motions and ask the nurse or doctor what the sonogram is telling her or him so that she or he can relate to you. Your husband should understand your hearing loss just because every hearing person have to depend on sounds. Geeze. We don't need to depend on sounds anyway. Just use your eyes. As being deaf, we depend on our visual, not sounds. That help a lot including using the ASL. So good luck on the sonogram. :) :wave:

My husband asked about the sonogram not to be mean or say that was the only way for me to be happy. He just knew that when he went with his sister (no husband. Long story) it was special when he heard it. He could hear it before he could see it. My doctor didn't bring it up at all. He was just answering a question. I was going to bring up how this whole thing makes him feel but he just says he it'll be ok. And when I was upset about it he was just comforting. He said he would take ASL again cuz he liked it the first time and he is good at what he knows. I think I need to talk to him but I'm going to wait. Things are new right now or am I just putting things off? I don't know. Blah. Julie (that's my cousin) she never talked about it and then they fell apart. Hmmm thanks for your input. Your very helpful. My younger cousin Jackie (the one who told me to come here) was right. It's nice to write and talk. It helps flush out issues. She is married with two kids. She married a Deaf guy and one of her kids is Deaf. Jackie said that she dated hearing and deaf guys after she started to lose her hearing. She did not lose all of her hearing till after she was married for a few years. Both her kids know ASL and she is very very happy. Her boyfriend that was hearing was fine with it and they broke up because of her. I don't know I don't know. I'm nervous and a little blah scared. I guess. No that's not the right word. I don't know what is. Day one was good and I could hear much better with. The hearing aids. I think I need an adjustment though because certain things are a little too loud. I'm going back in a week. So far so good though.

Btw I am going to turn on the closed captions. Not sure why that didn't occur to me. Lol I'm not usually that dense.

Congrats on your being preggy.

I was born profoundly Deaf. I do wear my HA. I can hear my babys heartbeat through the sonogram very clearly. I am sure that you ll hear somehow with your new HA. Good luck. :)

Im going wed for the sonogram. We figured out I was pregnant a little late. I had always been a little sporadic. I'm due mid November so right in time for baby's first Xmas. :)

Welcome. I am late deafened too. Don't let your cousin's marriage situation scare you. Every relationship is different. Your husband sounds great.

As for the TV. Once you know that these hearing aids are the right ones for you (or whatever ones you end up with) you can probably get a neckloop/streamer and a Bluetooth transmitter for the TV. The neckloop can be used with you cellphone & other audio devices.
I don't know which brand you have. I have Phonaks so I use a TVLink & ComPilot to watch TV & mute the TV.
They're not cheap, but well worth the price.

Hey I'm not deaf but I am here to make friends and I'd like very much to be your friend. I have a daughter who has speech problems so I am trying to learn ASL to help her communicate better. So if you want to be friends send me a message. Maybe you can help me in learning somemore.

Hey I'm not deaf but I am here to make friends and I'd like very much to be your friend. I have a daughter who has speech problems so I am trying to learn ASL to help her communicate better. So if you want to be friends send me a message. Maybe you can help me in learning somemore.

deleted

Back