Newbie, recently discovered to be hard of hearing

sidetracht

Reaction score
Hi everyone-

I apologize in advance for the mini-novel here--I tend to ramble sometimes but I figured I'd smash through the walls of lurkerdom with a flamboyant entrance!

After several years of my hearing steadily getting worse, I started to realize that turning the TV super loud and asking people to repeat themselves frequently wasn't "normal," and I made an appointment with an audiologist.

I have a very mild sensorineural hearing loss in the low frequency range. It seems there aren't a lot of people with low frequency hearing loss, and I thought I may be imagining things when I could hear high pitched sounds really well but had to concentrate to hear the low ones (and everything I read said "you lose high frequency hearing first").

Anyway, I'm going back to the audiologist to look into getting hearing aids. Even though my hearing loss is very mild (25dB in low frequency, although my preferred range for human speech is about 10dB louder than "normal"), I feel like it affects me and makes it difficult for me to communicate with others--having to ask people to repeat themselves, being told I'm talking too loudly, having to strain to hear what a person is saying when there's background noise. The doctor put a pair of Phonak mini-BTEs in my ears at the first appointment, and it was like a whole new array of sounds opened up to me. I could hear ambient noise and didn't have to strain to hear what the doctor was saying. It was really wonderful.

I've read a lot about people finding out they have hearing loss and getting really depressed at the prospect of wearing hearing aids. In what seems shocking to others... I'm really not depressed about it. I figure it's part of who I am and for now there are steps I can take to allow myself to continue to hear, but should it continue to get worse then that's something I'm relatively okay with.

On the one hand, I'm glad I found out I'm not crazy with regards to my suspicions on hearing loss. On the other hand, I feel like a bit of an outcast with regards to where I stand. I am able to hear more than many people in the deaf/hard of hearing community, but my hearing is bad enough that I stand out from people with "normal" hearing.

So, to sort of bring this full circle... hi. I just turned 22, I live in Austin, TX, I'm fat and I'm a student of anthropology (so if I ever seem like I'm studying you, just know I do it with everyone!). I like body modification, guinea pigs, parrots, and long walks on the beach. If I've used any terms in the wrong way or am getting the lingo wrong, please correct me and point me in the right direction! This is all completely new to me, but I want to educate myself and get to know you guys, as my lurking has shown you all to be an interesting bunch. :)

Also kudos to the founder of this forum for having awesome emoticons--another forum I'm on desperately needs vomit smileys, while you guys have farting, "I just got a pube caught in my teeth from cunnilingus" AND two vomit smileys?! No fair!

:welcome:

by the way, there are some people who hears better and still feel comfortable to be part of the Deaf community. If you are willing to learn ASL.

On the one hand, I'm glad I found out I'm not crazy with regards to my suspicions on hearing loss. On the other hand, I feel like a bit of an outcast with regards to where I stand. I am able to hear more than many people in the deaf/hard of hearing community, but my hearing is bad enough that I stand out from people with "normal" hearing.

hey welcome to AD!
I know someone on here who wear phonak mini btes. you can see plasticdinosaur roaming around :)
I had mild/moderate at the beginning when I was just an infant but now I have a severe loss!
BTW, I wear a mini BTE with a regular earmold attached :P

Hi, and welcome aboard! All sorts of folks here, including prelingually deafened, late deafened, ASL-users, non-ASL users, hearing parents of deaf children, etc., etc. Glad you found the forum; have fun getting to know everyone and sharing your own thoughts.

:welcome:

by the way, there are some people who hears better and still feel comfortable to be part of the Deaf community. If you are willing to learn ASL.

I really am interested in learning ASL, yes. I think it would be nice to be able to communicate with other hard of hearing people with more ease, and it would prepare me for the future in case I lose all my hearing. I'm looking into it! :)

Hi there. :)

Hiya!

hey welcome to AD!
I know someone on here who wear phonak mini btes. you can see plasticdinosaur roaming around :)
I had mild/moderate at the beginning when I was just an infant but now I have a severe loss!
BTW, I wear a mini BTE with a regular earmold attached :P

I'm guessing mine is going to progress as the years go by as well. I'm still young and my hearing can only get worse!

Can I ask what frequency you have trouble hearing? And are earmolds incredibly uncomfortable?

Hello welcome to Alldeaf :)

Thank you for the kind welcome. :)

Hi, and welcome aboard! All sorts of folks here, including prelingually deafened, late deafened, ASL-users, non-ASL users, hearing parents of deaf children, etc., etc. Glad you found the forum; have fun getting to know everyone and sharing your own thoughts.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm hoping this is a place where I can feel like I belong, regardless of my hearing level. So far I've got a positive impression, and have seen the right amount of snarkiness. :D

my full shell earmolds are comfy and I only have trouble hearing soft sounds so I'm high frquency :)

You know, it does seem like we have a lot of young late deafies, who are now into the whole Deaf culture thing. Which is AWESOME!

You know, it does seem like we have a lot of young late deafies, who are now into the whole Deaf culture thing. Which is AWESOME!

Admittedly, I was flipping channels and there was a special behind the scenes look at Switched At Birth and sign language has always interested me so I stopped. I know, I know! But one of the main actresses was saying that she took a hearing test randomly and had no idea she qualified for hearing aids before that. And suddenly a few things clicked in my head. I turned the TV volume really loud. I had to ask people to repeat themselves constantly. If there was background noise I couldn't hear a person speaking. People were telling me I spoke too loudly. I'd always figured my hearing was a bit off because I spoke loudly and asked people to repeat themselves, but never that it was bad enough for me to qualify for hearing aids. So I googled the symptoms of hearing loss and a lot of them sounded awfully familiar, and the more I read the more I was seeing the message "get it looked at sooner rather than later." So yes, I am a bit embarrassed about how I learned about this, but I'm glad I did!

That said, even though some people are giving Switched At Birth a bad rap, just seeing that little clip made things finally click for me and now I'm on the way to improving my life in what could be a big way. Yes, the show is corny and it's unrealistic and it's not representative of the Deaf community as a whole, but it's helped at least one person start taking hearing loss more seriously!

Although I see you guys are having a sudden swarm of teenage girls trying to find their own "deaf boy" in a way that creepily mirrors the Edward Cullen craze. I do apologize for that. :giggle:

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. No problem and don't feel apologize to us. You are saying the right things to say what you want to say. You are great. :thumb up:

I hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Back