New to VP - Need help on HOW I use this...and a few basic questions

dmcbride

Reaction score
Hi all. I am a Hearing ASL student in my second year of learning about Deaf culture and ASL. I cant get enough of it! I am at a point where I need to have access to a VP to stay in touch with some friends (this email thing just isnt cutting it...so cumbersome!) I had a few questions though and was hoping someone could walk me through the basics.

My friends use the Sorenson equipment but I am finding it increasingly hard to find how I can get this. From what I can tell, Sorenson has being Deaf or HH as a requirement. I am now looking at the D-Link DVC1000/1100 devices. It appears that they should work...but I am confused about a few things...

1) Am I understanding correctly that as long as I have high speed internet, I just need to buy the device and there is no monthly cost? (this is important as I am a dirt poor student :fingersx: )

2) There appears to be varied opinions about whether Sorenson or D-Link is better - many times having to do with the requirement of using Sorenson servers or not needing servers or something to that effect. Using a D-Link device, am I able to call Sorenson users)

3) My friend gave me an actual phone number, does this just point to an IP address? For example, I assume I wouldnt be able to get a phone number for a D-Link device but as long as I know the ip addresses for people...I am good?

4) Do I need to use the relay service thing for anything? I obviously wouldnt be using the interpreting services, but is there something else about the whole relay service thing I am missing? I ask because one of the requirements of the free sorenson VP is that you use their VRS now and then and I was confused as to why this was a requirement.

Sorry if these seem like dumb questions - I am still trying to piece together how I am going to get this going on my end here...

There is monthly fees for broadband connectivity unless your living campus where there is broadband connectivity. There is no monthly fees on any VP.
You got the idea, yea phone number actually is a reference for the VP server to point to correct IP address. That is exact how it works. Phone numbers are easier to remember and distributed than IP address. Generally Public IP addresses DO change over time automatically. With phone number, this elimate this problem of redistribution of new IP addresses.
Sorry, that is Sorenson's policy. Really whats behind this free program is that FCC is footing the bill for these cost, and intended for deafies who may need to use VRS.

The problem here is majority of deafies are using Sorenson VP-100/200, and other provider had quit giving away Dlink VP. So, you may need to ask public IP of Sorenson VP users whenever you want to call them instead of phone number. I heard that Dlink and Sorenson had merged their server. I haven't verified that yet.

The requirement for using "Their VRS" is outdated and outlaw by FCC. Meaning any provider is NOT permitted to set minimum or maximum requirement as condition for free service/VP.

Hi all. I am a Hearing ASL student in my second year of learning about Deaf culture and ASL. I cant get enough of it! I am at a point where I need to have access to a VP to stay in touch with some friends (this email thing just isnt cutting it...so cumbersome!) I had a few questions though and was hoping someone could walk me through the basics.

My friends use the Sorenson equipment but I am finding it increasingly hard to find how I can get this. From what I can tell, Sorenson has being Deaf or HH as a requirement. I am now looking at the D-Link DVC1000/1100 devices. It appears that they should work...but I am confused about a few things...

1) Am I understanding correctly that as long as I have high speed internet, I just need to buy the device and there is no monthly cost? (this is important as I am a dirt poor student :fingersx: )

2) There appears to be varied opinions about whether Sorenson or D-Link is better - many times having to do with the requirement of using Sorenson servers or not needing servers or something to that effect. Using a D-Link device, am I able to call Sorenson users)

3) My friend gave me an actual phone number, does this just point to an IP address? For example, I assume I wouldnt be able to get a phone number for a D-Link device but as long as I know the ip addresses for people...I am good?

4) Do I need to use the relay service thing for anything? I obviously wouldnt be using the interpreting services, but is there something else about the whole relay service thing I am missing? I ask because one of the requirements of the free sorenson VP is that you use their VRS now and then and I was confused as to why this was a requirement.

Sorry if these seem like dumb questions - I am still trying to piece together how I am going to get this going on my end here...

Hello!

Let me explain to you about What I has... I have D-Link Videophone and Router DI-604 and DI-624 and SBC/Yahoo DSL all them are connect together. But I am switch to Time Warner Cable Service in November. My VP-200 working fine now. But I have trouble recieve calls. But all go straight to Missed Calls on my VP-200. It didn't ring or anything when I get a Calls all do is go straight to Missed Calls. Seem like Router Blocking it or SBC/Yahoo DSL block it. I want My VP-200 connect to my DI-624 Router.

Here how my Dlink connect....

DSL--)DI-604--)DI-624--)VP-200

DSL--)DI-604--)D-LINK Videophone

Sorenson VRS Installer told me to use Switch but it won't work. I have try that. And I enable DMZ in my DI-624 and the problems is still same! It made me angry I want to able recieve Calls.

I am switch to Cable in November and I will not using Router anymore I will be using Cable direct to VP-200 I hope that will work. But I have to wait until November. But I want to recieve Calls with Router for now. How Do I can do that? Please Help me...

I really appricate it!
Thank you!

Dont matter which ISP your getting, switching to RoadRunner WILL STILL cause problem.

Question, do you have game console? Like PS2, or Xbox that is connected to Internet? I just discovered that *SOME* games DO take over the port and mess up with VP! Or VP messed up with game console too! It got NOTHING to do with ISP, it is all within your set up.

Hello!

Let me explain to you about What I has... I have D-Link Videophone and Router DI-604 and DI-624 and SBC/Yahoo DSL all them are connect together. But I am switch to Time Warner Cable Service in November. My VP-200 working fine now. But I have trouble recieve calls. But all go straight to Missed Calls on my VP-200. It didn't ring or anything when I get a Calls all do is go straight to Missed Calls. Seem like Router Blocking it or SBC/Yahoo DSL block it. I want My VP-200 connect to my DI-624 Router.

Sorenson VRS Installer told me to use Switch but it won't work. I have try that. And I enable DMZ in my DI-624 and the problems is still same! It made me angry I want to able recieve Calls.

I am switch to Cable in November and I will not using Router anymore I will be using Cable direct to VP-200 I hope that will work. But I have to wait until November. But I want to recieve Calls with Router for now. How Do I can do that? Please Help me...

I really appricate it!
Thank you!

Doing without router? It depends on what ISP provide you, if they can provide unique IP address to each of your device, then can go without router. But if they assign you with only one IP address, and you want PC, VP and other device to connect then router is, unfortunately REQUIRED!

Hello!

I really appricate it!
Thank you!

I can answer your questions:

You can't purchase any Sorenson videophone device. Sorenson also does not permit distribution to any hearing people, because then they would no longer use their VRS service. Their goal is to have everyone hearing use regular telephones to call deaf people.

However, you can purchase other videophones, such as the D-Link DVC-1000 "i2eye" device. Retail price for that device is $199 or thereabouts. Great device, worth every penny to get.

I've always preferred my D-Link i2eye over the Sorenson VPs. Now that the next generation VP-200 is starting to get out, that may change. Sorenson still has quite a few bugs to work out on the VP-200.

Sorenson and D-Link users can call each other, but only via IP addresses (in the format of, for example, 65.23.123.43 instead of a telephone number)

3) My friend gave me an actual phone number, does this just point to an IP address? For example, I assume I wouldnt be able to get a phone number for a D-Link device but as long as I know the ip addresses for people. .I am good?

The telephone number is simply a placeholder for an IP address that is stored on a directory server. If I used a Sorenson device to call a D-Link using a telephone number, I would not be able to connect, because the servers that operate the placeholders are separate. However, if you both have a Sorenson or you both have a D-Link, you can use the telephone numbers to call each other. It's just a convenience thing -- but they're not REAL telephone numbers.

Obviously, as you've stated, you wouldn't need the interpreting services, but any time you need to talk to a deaf person over a regular telephone, you would be talking to them via the relay service. Since you're hearing, you wouldn't be using the relay service from the deaf side, but you'd absolutely be using it from the hearing side of the equation. You're right, though, that you would never depend on the assistive side of the conversation. You'd never get a free VP anyway as you're hearing and that automatically disqualifies you.

Dont matter which ISP your getting, switching to RoadRunner WILL STILL cause problem.

Question, do you have game console? Like PS2, or Xbox that is connected to Internet? I just discovered that *SOME* games DO take over the port and mess up with VP! Or VP messed up with game console too! It got NOTHING to do with ISP, it is all within your set up.

Hey! When I switch to RoadRunner in November I won't be using Router I will be using VP direct to Cable Modem. I will try get Cable that don't have Firewall or Strong Firewall built in. I hate Firewall or Router because it will cause problems for VP-200

4) .... I ask because one of the requirements of the free sorenson VP is that you use their VRS now and then and I was confused as to why this was a requirement.

Using the VRS is how they make money. VP to VP calls earn them nothing. That's why.

Hey! When I switch to RoadRunner in November I won't be using Router I will be using VP direct to Cable Modem. I will try get Cable that don't have Firewall or Strong Firewall built in. I hate Firewall or Router because it will cause problems for VP-200

That's fine if you're not going to use the cable internet for anything else. If you are, then you need a router, or a modem with a built-in router. The VP-200 works fine with a router.

That's fine if you're not going to use the cable internet for anything else. If you are, then you need a router, or a modem with a built-in router. The VP-200 works fine with a router.

I know that Router work with VP-200 but I don't want deal with bunch of Firewall and DMZ etc! Because sometime it cause internet/VP-200 problems like not able recieve any calls. Only go straight to Missed Calls and it didn't ring or anything! I hate that!! That why I want get Cable that don't have firewall or router so I can connect direct to VP-200 and Cable Modem when I switch to RoadRunner in November

I know that Router work with VP-200 but I don't want deal with bunch of Firewall and DMZ etc! Because sometime it cause internet/VP-200 problems like not able recieve any calls. Only go straight to Missed Calls and it didn't ring or anything! I hate that!! That why I want get Cable that don't have firewall or router so I can connect direct to VP-200 and Cable Modem when I switch to RoadRunner in November

The answer on the other thread should solve the problem. It doesn't matter cable or dsl, both work similar way. The router will work fine if it set up properly.

The answer on the other thread should solve the problem. It doesn't matter cable or dsl, both work similar way. The router will work fine if it set up properly.

My DSL have built-in Firewall and I need go to Cable that don't have Built-in Firewall so I can direct connect to VP and Cable.

My DSL have built-in Firewall and I need go to Cable that don't have Built-in Firewall so I can direct connect to VP and Cable.

Your DSL modem has a built in firewall. All you have to do is disable it. The DSL provider cna help you do that. Switching to cable is fine, but don'tt go blaming DSL if you don't know what you're doing.

Your DSL modem has a built in firewall. All you have to do is disable it. The DSL provider cna help you do that. Switching to cable is fine, but don'tt go blaming DSL if you don't know what you're doing.

I know.. I am try getting Adelphia High Speed this week but it will be change name in November to Time Warner Cable RoadRunner.

Guess what? I have had router for years with built in firewall... Do I have problem? Nope! That is because I have set it up correctly. I even have 3 routers running right now! Each of routers have its own public IP address and is very tightly controlled to make sure no one breaks in my system. I know it is not 100% fool proof. Just that it gives them hard time. It is VERY important to set it up correctly to protect your system. If you decide to go without firewall and have your PC hook up, trust me... Hackers would love you!!!

Guess what? I have had router for years with built in firewall... Do I have problem? Nope! That is because I have set it up correctly. I even have 3 routers running right now! Each of routers have its own public IP address and is very tightly controlled to make sure no one breaks in my system. I know it is not 100% fool proof. Just that it gives them hard time. It is VERY important to set it up correctly to protect your system. If you decide to go without firewall and have your PC hook up, trust me... Hackers would love you!!!

I know I already have Norton Firewall and Norton Internet Security Hey! Good News I try this copy all Setting from D-Link Videophone and move it to VP-200and I move Cord from DI-624 to DI-604 where Videophone D-Link used to be and it worked. If same Setting D-Link Videophone and VP-200 and it worked but can't use same time.

I looked at this topic that I posted about six years ago and I laughed at myself for making fool out of myself. Because for six years I learned so much about internet and computers and I know how to fix the firewall and how switch works! I also remember what happens when the installer gave me VP-200 he didn't do very good job installing it! I should have report him! But now I know better.

I have an app called Z4 mobile, its a free app for iPhones and androids. What it does is that you can make a call to deaf people from your cell phone to their VP. Since I travel a lot, I use the Z4 app to make calls. I found this very handy and useful. The only thing you would have to do is make a user name and a password and you need to get a phone number for the app so that way the caller can VP you from their VP to your phone. I had my friends test this for me by calling my phone and it successfully works. Here's a commercial about it: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWaxFSyRack]Z4 Mobile for the iPhone4 / iPod Touch - YouTube[/ame]

Back