New to hearing aids - frustrated and looking for advice.

Nope. They seem to work with the battery doors slightly opened. :lol:

I was told to never put the batteries in the dry and store. Can't remember the reason, though.

TXGolfer, no, I've got no "off" program. I think I *could* have had one, but then I would have had to give up one of the active programs, and I like and use all the programs I've got. I use "music" and "speech in noise" quite a bit, use "comfort in noise" if I'm driving the convertible with top down, and of course "normal" is the default setting (which supposedly searches for the "best" program to use and switches into it, but I don't always agree with what it picks!)

I don't use the t-coil that much; don't like the sound quality there.

Ah, I used only three programs back then. 4 now but I really only use one of them. The background reduction program.

I was told to never put the batteries in the dry and store. Can't remember the reason, though.

TXGolfer, no, I've got no "off" program. I think I *could* have had one, but then I would have had to give up one of the active programs, and I like and use all the programs I've got. I use "music" and "speech in noise" quite a bit, use "comfort in noise" if I'm driving the convertible with top down, and of course "normal" is the default setting (which supposedly searches for the "best" program to use and switches into it, but I don't always agree with what it picks!)

I don't use the t-coil that much; don't like the sound quality there.

who told ya?

I can attest to the fact that my battery life did indeed last longer with Dry and Store.

Yes, but I have to take them off to do that. I'd like to be able to turn them off in a restaurant without taking them out. I don't think I can wear them without losing the battery with the door open. Maybe I'm wrong about that?

I turn my HA down if I do not hear all the back ground noises in a store or restaurant .

who told ya?

I can attest to the fact that my battery life did indeed last longer with Dry and Store.

Maybe it depends on what type you use? This site mentions the "Global" and "Zephyr" systems and says batteries do NOT have to be removed. I don't use anything that fancy; I use the kind with colored crystals that change from blue to pink. Maybe there's a difference? I dunno.

"http://www.hearingaidbatteries.com.au/information/FAQ_Zinc_Air_Hearing_Aid_Batteries.htm"

Maybe it depends on what type you use? This site mentions the "Global" and "Zephyr" systems and says batteries do NOT have to be removed. I don't use anything that fancy; I use the kind with colored crystals that change from blue to pink. Maybe there's a difference? I dunno.

"http://www.hearingaidbatteries.com.au/information/FAQ_Zinc_Air_Hearing_Aid_Batteries.htm"

according to link you posted
When your hearing aid is not in use, open the battery door. This will help reduce corrosion. If you use a Global or Zephyr drying kit, it is not necessary to remove the battery from the hearing aid or cochlear implant processer before putting it in the drying kit.

so it is fine to leave batteries with your HA in Dry and Store. and throw away that Super Dri-Aid you're using to dry your HA.

51fALyWf2RL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Your HA is a thousand dollars device. Why use some $15 worthless product to dry it out? Please do yourself a favor and get a Dry n' Store (pick any model you like). Yes I know it's pricey... about $100 but hey... replacing HA costs more.... so does replacing batteries over time.

my dry and store is about 4+ years old. It lasts pretty long and so do batteries. Can't imagine how much money I'm saving from buying new batteries.

Super Dri-Aid is for emergency use but IMO - it's totally worthless. I know this because I've had this before. Worthless.

Good point. I looked at those expensive systems mentioned: I had never even heard of anything like that, with the light in it and all.

I think my audiologist gave me the Dry-Aid thing a long time ago, and I just never questioned it. I'm easily convinced that the other options, the one you mentioned and the ones in that article, are probably much, much better.

Good point. I looked at those expensive systems mentioned: I had never even heard of anything like that, with the light in it and all.
the light inside is the "Germicidal UV lamp" that disinfect your HA and earmold. Because of this - I itch less than before.

I think my audiologist gave me the Dry-Aid thing a long time ago, and I just never questioned it. I'm easily convinced that the other options, the one you mentioned and the ones in that article, are probably much, much better.
yea so did my audi. I think many audi just hand them out like candy bundled together with new HAs... because well - it's just a $15 thing lol. If you asked your audi for something better than Super Dri-Aid, I think I can guarantee you that she/he will suggest Dry and Store.

Super Dri-Aid is meant for emergency purpose if your HA got wet but for everyday maintenance - Dry n' Store is it. It feels so nice to put on HA that's clean and dry when you wake up :)

Sometimes I think it's a conspiracy theory that many audis do not mention it so that people's HA will break sooner and come back for repair or new one. ka-ching!!! :lol:

one more thing - using Dry n' Store is an 8-hrs process. You can interrupt it whenever you want but if you do, it will be another 8-hours - not a big deal. If you live with hearing significant other, you'll need to put Dry n' Store in another room or somewhere far from your bed because it makes a faint humming noise. I don't hear it but my parents do. It's a small machine inside that dries your HA.

Global disinfects. I think Zephyr does not, so Global is the good one. And since I have one I also attest that batteries last longer.

Interesting, thanks for mentioning that point. (To Jiro, about the noise.)

I don't remember; do you have dogs? Do they react to the humming noise? One of my dogs will "alert" (look but not bark) to the feedback if I take out the hearing aid without releasing the battery door; the other dog completely ignores it. I wonder how they would tolerate that sort of humming.

You notice my first thought is how the dogs would tolerate it, not how my husband would. Poor hubby!! :lol:

Since I live with a HOH husband, I didn't know it made noise until Jiro mentioned it. But my two dogs who hear never have acted like they noticed it.

You buy batteries? I always wondered why they sell HA batteries. All of mine are free from the Audi. I paid one price. All tests, cleanings, repairs and batteries are free. Granted it was a high price...

according to link you posted

so it is fine to leave batteries with your HA in Dry and Store. and throw away that Super Dri-Aid you're using to dry your HA.

51fALyWf2RL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Your HA is a thousand dollars device. Why use some $15 worthless product to dry it out? Please do yourself a favor and get a Dry n' Store (pick any model you like). Yes I know it's pricey... about $100 but hey... replacing HA costs more.... so does replacing batteries over time.

my dry and store is about 4+ years old. It lasts pretty long and so do batteries. Can't imagine how much money I'm saving from buying new batteries.

Super Dri-Aid is for emergency use but IMO - it's totally worthless. I know this because I've had this before. Worthless.

Global disinfects. I think Zephyr does not, so Global is the good one. And since I have one I also attest that batteries last longer.

I just checked out the site. I see that it's got new version of Global. It's Global II now. Mine's Global I. Global II surely does look strange cuz it looks like a baby wipe container :lol:

Beach Girl - I highly recommend Global model.

Since I live with a HOH husband, I didn't know it made noise until Jiro mentioned it. But my two dogs who hear never have acted like they noticed it.

yea according to my parents - it makes a very faint droning noise. When you're asleep, one can start to hear a faintest sound. I feel sorry for city dwellers :lol:

and I think dogs are much more forgiving than hearies. They can tolerate just about any noise and just :zzz: *hug my dog*

You buy batteries? I always wondered why they sell HA batteries. All of mine are free from the Audi. I paid one price. All tests, cleanings, repairs and batteries are free. Granted it was a high price...

I buy batteries from CVS with coupons or whenever it's on sale.

I guess it's just your audi that offers you the perk.

I buy batteries from CVS with coupons or whenever it's on sale.

I guess it's just your audi that offers you the perk.

Cool.... I am surprised. The batteries come in packaging with the firm name on it. I thought they all did that.

I took my first one out while sitting on the floor then crushed it when I stepped on it. I got a loaner and a replacement for free. Great people too.

Your first hearing aid you crushed??? Yikes!!

Definitely all audis do NOT offer free batteries! The most I've gotten was a few packs when i bought new aids. One audi (that I don't go to anymore - she moved to Florida) had a "battery club" and you could pay up for a year's membership, and they would send you a couple packs each month. It was a little cheaper than buying at the drugstore but not by much.

Cool.... I am surprised. The batteries come in packaging with the firm name on it. I thought they all did that.

I took my first one out while sitting on the floor then crushed it when I stepped on it. I got a loaner and a replacement for free. Great people too.

yes yes - they're great people because....

money.gif

:lol:

Back