New Scientist article

Hmmmm....I don't get this coarse thingy.. to me the signal sounds normal. Much clearer then the 'coarseness' of my HA's.

Is this something like the Mickey Mouse sounds that I was supposed to hear? I didn't really notice that to me the sound for the first 3 weeks was like being in a bubble. LOL But coarse? don't think so.

I don't think so either.

Everything I hear through my CIs sounds "normal" and exactly like I remember before losing my hearing.

Since no one but the CI user has the ability to hear through a CI, the next best thing is to create audio simulations and/or assume what *might* be heard based on the experiences of other CI users. I know some CI users who hear Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck or Darth Vader sounding speech following activation, but this doesn't happen to all of us -- me included. When both of my CIs were activated (a year apart), everything sounded metallic.

Interesting results.
Especially that there was a great deal of difference between implanted before 1 and at age 2-3.

Still, for a very recent article I found this sentence puzzling:
Until these latest findings, implants had only been shown successful in adults who had gone deaf later in life, rather than in the estimated 1 in 2000 people born profoundly deaf each year. .......
I knew this way before 2005.... and they now it since the "latest findings"...
They need to read momre and write less......

Back