New product for 911 Ctrs and Univ security offices

heartohelp

Reaction score
There is a new product available now that will allow anyone to text, send pictures or video to a 911 center or to a University security office with any wireless device. This is done by using a short code (example *55911). The short code would be specific for the area where you are. For example if you lived on campus at Gallaudet University you would use the short code designated for the university security office. This service REQUIRES the entity to subscribe to the service provider that delivers this service. The company that is providing this service Intrado. If you want your regional 911 center or University to implement this let them know that this service is now available. The key here is that it is for everyone not only for the hearing impaired. This should help to get this service adopted by all 911 centers and Universities in the USA. Anyone who needs info on this can message me.

I hope this was helpful information.

Heres the link

http://vtdigger.org/2012/04/18/vermont-enhanced-911-board-announces-text-to-911-trial/

rg

Last edited:
weblink showing this info or it didnt happen.

There is one thing here to make clear here. There are already MANY services for the University to notify ( by outgoing messages) students and faculty that there is a situation going on. There is only one company that uses the commercial cell network to deliver text messages to a 911 center or Campus Security Office.

I really hope this 911 text system will be permanent and nation-wide. I know that Verizon is working on it. Texting would be easier then trying to keep an actuall relay call; texting would allow one to watch out for danger, send when there is a good spot of reception (instead of cutting the call when reception drops), and uses so much less battery power than an actual call.

Text to 911 is coming...and in some places is already in trials...including the State of Vermont, where it has already saved a life. This is great news for the deaf/hoh communities across the nation. However, it is going to take time to get things in place for all of this to happen. Recommendations have been made to the FCC by the EAAC (Emergency Access Advisory Committee) on an interim solution for texting to 911. I use the word "interim", because texting to 911 will be only a part of what is called Next Generation 911. NG911 will include the ability to text, send pictures, send video, as well as other forms of communication with 911 call centers...or PSAPs (Public Safety Answering Point). While Verizon has announced that they will enable texting to 911 in early 2013, it is important to know that PSAPs will have to have the ability to receive these text messages. You should also expect the other cell carriers to make similiar announcements soon. The FCC is expected to rule on this interim solution soon...as in they have not yet done so...so some feel that the announcement between Verizon and Intrado has kind of put the cart before the horse. Maybe they have some inside information that we don't yet know about...maybe they don't...only time will tell. I would expect the other cell carriers to make their announcements AFTER the FCC has announced WHAT the solution will be and how it will work. I just hope that the announcement already made by Verizon does not cause confusion within the deaf communities. The potential for confusion is great! YOU can text to 911, but YOU can't. You can text to 911 if you are in THIS city but NOT if you are in THAT city. You can send an SMS, but not an MMS. This is just the tip of the iceberg and you can already see possible sources of confusion...not just for the deaf communities, but for anyone who wants to text to 911.

If you want more info, Google EAAC Report and you will be able to pull it up on the FCC website. You can also visit National Emergency Number Association (National Emergency Number Association) for more information on 911, E911, and NG911.

On campus solutions will require the University to pay for this service. Every University in the USA has an outgoing notification system but very few have the ability to receive incoming text messages directly to the Campus security office. Universities must be lobbied to take the next step.

States around the country in most cases already charge 911 cell and land line service fee's which are supposed to pay for this technology. In some states like New York they steal that funding for other uses and the PSAP's never see that money. This will have to change since this will require a lot of money and effort to make this initiative a nationwide solution.

Finally, The Minneapolis 911 center are getting new NG911 (Video/Photo/SMS/TTY/GPS/IPS/Medic Alert).. Minneapolis 911's have a portable TTY, so after the NG911 are operating, they can dump the old TTY out, and the NG911 already build in TTY software.

Next Generation 911 much advanced technology.

They can locate the GPS on the mobile phone when I am stranded and stuck in my wheelchair on the deep sand or snow, they can send the rescue squad or park ranger (park ranger have a 4x4 truck with winch on the front pushbar) get me out of stranded area.

Text/SMS on cellphone much easier to send a message to the 911 dispatcher.
Video capture from cellphone can be send to the 911 video center for reporting of accidents and suspecting area.
Ppls who have Ipad or mac lappy, they have IPS (Internet Position System) to locate it for rescues, fires and etc.
Medic Alert profile on the NG911, that I signed up already then they updated 911 computer.

Some other state 911 centers have a smart911 it's for mobile phone text/sms only no videos that sucks.

Back