New Neptune CI processor- Swimming?

I've been hearing the Neptune is supposed to be released by Sept. or so in the states, whenever the FDA approves.

Waiting for Neptune

My CI center informed me last night that the Neptune is now available in Switzerland. I am waiting now for that kind of CI for years.

I already had to open and wash my AB Platinum twice. The first time was, when I taught my youngest daughter wind-surfing. She got a good wind and sailed away from the beach, but then she panicked. Without thinking of my CI I swam out to help her.
After I had to open the processor and the ear-piece, wash them with fresh water and dry them in the sun.

The second time I climbed in the cliffs above the sea, when my processor fell down in the sea. Same procedure as above.

The CI still works :laugh2:

This is why I am waiting for Neptune. My live is in, on and under water.

Unfortunately it seems not to be compatible with the implanted parts. I'll have to check this. Another possibility would be to get the second ear implanted.

Greetings from Camiguin, Philippines
Renato

I heard it should be available early next year for the US, but of course that depends on the FDA.

While it's not exactly in time for pool season this year, Congratulations to Advanced Bionics on approval of the waterproof Neptune for distribution in the United States!! I believe the announcement came on 12/1, even ahead of approval in Europe, I believe!

As a customer already of Advanced Bionics- I have received the Neptune info. I have already fed back to them my thoughts expressed above. I have mentioned being a daily swimmer over 20 years. So far no response to my observations.
So much for being "accused of being an employee of Advanced Bionics". My multiple comments since joining Alldeaf.com-last year.

Great for long summer days at the beach, or boating/surfing, when kids are in and out of the water and hands are often tied up holding lines or maintaining balance. At least, that's my experience with Li. Even when she's in the water when we're boating/swimming, we often find that she's facing another direction, using her arms, or otherwise unable to sign as easily as she can hear/speak and so we tend to waterproof the CIs for those times. If you think about how much time a kid is actually submerged when around the water, it's pretty low. We then really bag them up, tie them to us or the boat and tuck them away when she's doing things that involve being fully submerged. If she were on her own, I could see them being tossed onto a towel when she runs into the water -- easy to lose that way. I'd rather they be fully submersible and stay with her even if she's not using them under water.

But ... we don't have those :)

Right. I can also see it being useful while in the shower. Maybe not for a child, but certainly an adult. I also think this is a personal preference thing, too. Some people may HATE it, but others may want it. Either way, if someone were to completely hate the sounds they'd hear, they can still remove the processor; no big deal.

As a hearing person though, I can tell people that you really don't hear that much underwater, anyway. Everything is muffled, so with a hearing loss in play, I imagine that would be even more so.

My implants are Advanced Bionics. I am used to my Harmony BTE processors, but I would totally not mind wearing a body worn to be able to see what a shower, bath or swimming sounds like. I don't care to OWN one, I just want to hear situations involving water a few times to see what they sound like and then I'd be happy. It'd be nice to be able to just use one for a week or two.

Isn't the body type-older technology in comparison to Harmony BTE?

That is my understanding from 2007 when I was implanted-July 12, 2007.

Last edited:
The Neptune is the new bodyworn processor, capable of using the new ClearVoice speech processing strategy as well as the Hi-Res and Fidelity and other strategies.

Back