New hearing aids and progressive hearing loss

dlee

Reaction score
I had an audiology appointment few days ago and was looking into upgrading into a new hearing aids, most likely Naida Q90.

The only thing is, I have been told my hearing is progressively getting worse...and I am slightly worried that upgrading to a more powerful hearing aids over the years might have contributed to this.

More powerful hearing aid = louder amplification = potentially causing gradual hearing loss. Of course, this is my own theory and there isn't any scientific backing.. my audiologist tells me this is not the case but I am more inclined to believe my own instinct. Does anyone else feel the way?

My understanding is that a Progressive Loss is a genetic/environmental thing, leaning more towards the genetic. You know this all had to start somewhere before we started wearing hearing aids. I am also upgrading to Nada's for a progressive loss.

The only thing is, I have been told my hearing is progressively getting worse...and I am slightly worried that upgrading to a more powerful hearing aids over the years might have contributed to this.

Unlikely. The setting for your hearing aids is where your audio gram reads your hearing is at. They don't set it louder than that for obvious reasons. If anything, it's a combination of the environment and genetics. BTW, have you heard how loud police sirens are and the sound of the commuter rail engine? I'm exposed to it five days a week - sirens alone are ear splitting loud so when I go for walks, I keep my hearing aids off...ditto if I'm on the train. Of course with my family history and type of loss, decline is unavoidable.

Laura

Yes, I have a similar situation where if I am in a loud situation..I just turn off or take off my hearing aids.

I guess I am just concerned because my audiologist recommended me to see a ENT doctor..see what is the cause and the prospect of cochlear implant was also brought up. I just hope my hearing won't get worse to the point where I will need an implant.

My understanding is that a Progressive Loss is a genetic/environmental thing, leaning more towards the genetic. You know this all had to start somewhere before we started wearing hearing aids. I am also upgrading to Nada's for a progressive loss.

Nice, have you also checked out the Bolero model?

Your HA's should be set up to keep you from hearing anything that will further damage your hearing, using MCL and UCL from your audiogram. If certain noises such as sirens, trains, etc. bother you, have your audiologist set up a program where the volume level is 5 dB lower or more if needed to keep you from having to remove your HA's when you are in those situations or you can use a mute program and use ear protection to protect what hearing you have left.

Back