New Girl Here

ssnorwaygirl

Reaction score
Hi! Finally figure this posting thing out. I am in the Orlando area of Florida. I have a question that maybe someone here can help me out with. It's a few questions, but I'll just start out with one. Does anyone here know the rules of the road and bike riding? Are hearing impaired bike riders allowed to use the sidewalk in busy vehicle traffic proned areas? I ride my bike on the sidewalk and haven't had any problems, but this morning a police officer decided to hassle me about it. There are very few people who use the sidewalk and I am always polite when the do so. This is just one question for the time being that I have. I do not have a hearing impaired community in my area that I am aware of so I appreciate any feedback that I get from anyone here. Thanks!

ssnorwaygirl ... hello and welcome to alldeaf here. Hmmm did you ask this police officer about it this morning? There is Deaf Service Center in Orlando area that you may want to contact and ask them about it.

Hi! Finally figure this posting thing out. I am in the Orlando area of Florida. I have a question that maybe someone here can help me out with. It's a few questions, but I'll just start out with one. Does anyone here know the rules of the road and bike riding? Are hearing impaired bike riders allowed to use the sidewalk in busy vehicle traffic proned areas? I ride my bike on the sidewalk and haven't had any problems, but this morning a police officer decided to hassle me about it. There are very few people who use the sidewalk and I am always polite when the do so. This is just one question for the time being that I have. I do not have a hearing impaired community in my area that I am aware of so I appreciate any feedback that I get from anyone here. Thanks!

U serious? The cop hassled u about riding your bike on the sidewalk near a busy street simply because u have a hearing loss? If so, u can sue for discrimination.

If there are already rules set forbidding bicyclists from using sidewalks near a busy street then the cop has a valid reason to "hassle" you about it.

Welcome! i have no plm to ride the bike on sidewalk or beside of car on the street. COP has no right to hassle!

It's weird. I've been doing it now for over 2 years. Cops have always rode past me and never stopped. Just this one. For some reason he must have been having a bad morning. He told me if he caught me doing it again that I would be fined. Well, I am off to City Hall this morning to file a complaint because there are no postings about the sidewalk and it's a wide handicap sidewalk to accomodate those in wheelchairs, runs about 3 miles around. It's just to not right. Thanks for the info in Orlando; it's about 35 miles north, but I'll check it out when I get some extra time.:laugh2:

R

Weird. I don't think riding on the sidewalk is illeal in Orlando.

The Florida law says:

From The 2007 Florida Statues: 316.2065 Bicycle regulations

(10) A person propelling a vehicle by human power upon and along a sidewalk, or across a roadway upon and along a crosswalk, has all the rights and duties applicable to a pedestrian under the same circumstances.

(11) A person propelling a bicycle upon and along a sidewalk, or across a roadway upon and along a crosswalk, shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian and shall give an audible signal before overtaking and passing such pedestrian.

The Orlando Bike guide says you should try to ride in the street because of safety but "If you feel you absolutely must use the sidewalk, ride with the flow of traffic, reduce your speed, and assume motorists won’t see or yield to you."

HTH.

"ssnorwaygirl"

Hi SSNORWAYGIRL Its nice having you here But hey That cops have no rights to hassle you because of being deaf ridin bike on sidewalk It's BULLSH*T....Its big time "discriminating" I hope you get his(cop) badge number/officer's name and Report this right out of his azz HEARING OR NOT This is america If hearing can deaf can do too please do our favor sue the department and get a cool million of dollars eh LOL :wtf: that cop is an :asshole:

By law you are not supposed to ride on the sidewalk or perhaps its just common curtousy.. or for the sake of walking pedestrians. If a cop sees you riding on the sidewalk he will probably stop you. Just nod and smile then go on your way. when that cop disappears, get on the sidewalk again. I know I would. I dont give a flying fuck about the law

Hello and welcome to Alldeaf! I'm sure some cities have ordinances in place whereas riding bikes, even skateboards are not allowed on sidewalks...my hometown back in Iowa, there is such an ordinance in place that prohibits bikers, skaters from being on the sidewalks in the downtown area.

Anyhow, hope you'll enjoy your stay here in AD! ;)

:wave:
~RR

Thanks everyone for your input. I went to City Hall and they were so upset that they called over to the Police Dept. and that prompted a fast, certain and direct email to all police officers that if they saw me they were to allow me to go my way. LOL.:ily:

BTW, how do I post my picture here, I can't figure it out. I can't even figure out how to edit my information. Can anyone, with patience, direct me to the correct procedure? Thanks.

R

BTW, how do I post my picture here, I can't figure it out. I can't even figure out how to edit my information. Can anyone, with patience, direct me to the correct procedure? Thanks.

R

Has anyone helped you out with this? if not, drop me a private post and perhaps I can help you sort it out.

Regards
Cate

Back