New from Pt. Charlotte, FL

Lucky13csa

Reaction score
I am hearing impaired with 90% loss. I want to learn ASL in the event that I should lose the rest of my hearing. I cannot find lessons around here in Pt. Charlotte, FL nor can I find anybody to practice communication with. There is an active Deaf Community in Tampa area, but that is an hours drive. Too far to travel regularly. Anyway, Hello all.

Hi and :welcome: to AD! Plenty of Floridains here.

How old are you? Why not just move to Tampa if you want to join a Deaf community?

Definitely move to Tampa Bay if you want to meet up with the Deaf Community. Anyway, there should be deaf people around in Pt. Charlotte, Fl. Look up in the yellow pages and find the organizations like Florida Hearing Society. If you can find under the churches in the yellow pages, it might indicated there is a interpreted church service. Don't give up.

You are welcome to join us and post. See you around here. :wave:

Welcome. I grew up in Port Charlotte, although I moved away 25 years ago. I'm having the same problem over here on the West Coast of FL. I'm sure there are deaf people in your community. Maybe try the local hospitals and see if they have any kind of hearing loss support groups, that may give you a start.

I'm in the same boat with you except I might be in the 70-80's right now LOL
anyways welcome to Alldeaf :)

I want to stay in this area for several reasons....first being my job. Thank you for all of your advice, I will start looking into it. I did find a deaf orginization in Ft. Myers. It is a little trip, but doable. They also offer courses for half the prices of the colleges. Now I just have to work it into my schedule as I work the graveyard shift. When I learn I will need somebody to communicate with to continue learning and stay sharp. Thank you everyone.

welcome! I am new too, I read that there is a large Deaf community in Florida but I am having a hard time meeting people ( I am even going to start volunteering at the local Deaf Service Center). I am located in the West Palm area.

Back