New diagnosis hoh child

Bethwa

Reaction score
Hi all! My name is Beth, My 6 year old recently diagnosed signifigant hard of hearing, looking for moms of deaf or hh kids in southern maine to chat with to help me understand behaviors...signs of fatigue etc....!

Hi all! My name is Beth, My 6 year old recently diagnosed signifigant hard of hearing, looking for moms of deaf or hh kids in southern maine to chat with to help me understand behaviors...signs of fatigue etc....!

Hi Beth! We're a bit south of your target area, right on the border of MA and RI, but I've also got an adorable little 6yo girl who is profoundly deaf, likely from birth. Glad to share info back and forth any time.

hey, I was hard of hearing at a young age too (not a mom, just a 17 year old with moderately severe loss even though my signature says severe loss)

I was a young hard of hearing child once... What a blessing I was. :P

Hi bethwa. Is your kid late deafened? If I were you I would contact ALL the New England Schools for the Deaf for support/help resources. Kids are getting to be very oral. Some late dhh kids love deaf culture and ASL, others are more " I'm pretty much hearing impaired, and don't identify with deaf culture at ALL. It's a good idea to expose kids to what's out there. Many kids don't realize that there's stuff like dhh programs or schools or even other dhh kids like them. Bit of advice.....you may want to ask if there are any regional programs for the deaf and hard of hearing in your area. It can be a lot easier dealing with teachers who have a lot of experiance teaching dhh kids, for both the parents and kids.....Like your kid may not desperatly NEED a dhh program or school, but it could really add something positive to his educatonal experiance. Plus, it's SO nice to work with teachers and admins who aren't all resistant to giving good dhh accomondations.
Home - Baxter School for the Deaf, Welcome to the Vermont Center for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, Clarke Schools for Hearing and Speech (they are very oral, and have a summer program for 9 and up. May be a good resource)
DHHEIP Featured Program MPDHH, (the dhh program in Manchester NH), http://www.tlcdeaf.org/,http://beverlyschoolforthedeaf.org/ (mostly for multipley handicapped dhh kids but still may be useful) Got a lot of other links (ie Rhode Island School and American School for the deaf but that's a little too far for you)
American Society for Deaf Children - Home, and Maine Hands & Voices as well as Hands & Voices
Just remember.....HOH and late deafened kids can benifit from ASL as a second language.....see if your kid might benifit from it...it might be fun for them.

Hey Bethwa,
I have a nearly 9 year old who is in the moderate-severe hearing loss range and a 2 year old profoundly deaf. (Chalk this one up to genes!) I have normal hearing, and this is all new to me too.
The little one did have some hearing and I don't know how rapidly she lost her hearing, but we know it was somewhere right around her 2nd birthday. She did have words that she said and some that she can still say, but no new words. Everyone in the house is learning ASL.
Please feel free to PM me if you want to chat, although I'm quite far from you, I would be happy to share my experiences.

Back