New ASL Student

tofer

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
My name is Chris O'Rourke, but a lot of people call me Tofer on campus. I am a sophomore at the University of Connecticut.
I recently began my journey into deaf culture by taking ASL 1, and with about 5 weeks under my belt I am very excited to continue learning. For those of you who may be curious, my teacher is Doreen Simons.
One of a few reasons I chose to sign up for this forum, is to find a friend who would like to correspond be via V-logs! Someone who is patient and willing to help me learn as I progress! Another is because it will aid me in my career goal of becoming a police officer of some type, and completing a Communications degree.
If anyone is interested please feel free to message me or reply to this thread. I figure the best way to this would be tape a video, post it to youtube and just keep going back and forth. I hope to meet a lot of you here!

Have a great day!

:welcome: I know it is fall as the new students begin to arrive!! :lol:

hi tofer! welcome to the forum!

ps: college students unite! haha (i'm a freshman :-D)

Hey Tofer!

Im a College freshman as well, I been self teaching myself for several months now. I'm not fluent but always looking for people to help me with my signing. :)

No youtube account :( I only have yahoo and Skype. A lot of people use those to communicate.

Alright! I have a skype, you can add me if you'd like: My username is christopher.o.rourke

hello, my name is Lauren Miller( i am hearing), i live in Houston, Texas and i am taking ASL 1 and fingerspelling. this is my first semester to be introduced to any of this! its very exciting and i think i have learned a lot since school has began, but i started at ZERO. hope to meet some people that are learning like me and some more experienced people if anyone is willing to give advice!
new to this forum also!
:wave:

I am a 4th year student in college. My major is ASL and I am in ASL 5. I am also in a bunch of other Deaf studies and Linguistic classes that deal with ASL. I am learning how to communicate using Signed English along with ASL. Let me tell you I would take ASL over Signed English any day. If you have any questions hit me up!

hello, my name is Lauren Miller( i am hearing), i live in Houston, Texas and i am taking ASL 1 and fingerspelling. this is my first semester to be introduced to any of this! its very exciting and i think i have learned a lot since school has began, but i started at ZERO. hope to meet some people that are learning like me and some more experienced people if anyone is willing to give advice!
new to this forum also!
:wave:

Hi Lauren I am a High School student in ASL 2 where are you going to school?

Back