New ASL Student

jt

Reaction score
hey I am new to this site, but I was wondering if there were any places near me(Hawthorne, NJ) where I can publically meet up with people to interact and learn more about Deaf Culture. I am taking a 101 course so my singing is limited, but my interest in the language will only increase with face to face conversation. This stranger would really appreciate it..lol

Welcome. Hope you find deafies in Jersey. Don't worry about your singing. Most deafies sing off key and out of tune. Goes with the territory.

Ha ha ha, I figured so, but had to give you a bad time. But really, every once in a while I get strange looks when I thought I was just mouthing the words to songs in church or when I sing along to old closed captioned songs in movies.

Good luck again with immersing yourself in deaf cuture and traveling the never-ending road to signing. Both are fun.

Welcome. Hope you find deafies in Jersey. Don't worry about your singing. Most deafies sing off key and out of tune. Goes with the territory.

:bowlol:

New York City has a large Deaf population. Check out the socials there?

Hey I'm from the PaSSaic Area of Jersey, I'm a 3rd year ASL student...There's a Deaf Chat every 3rd thursday of every month at 7pm in the Panera Bread in West Orange....You should def. check it out..it's fun....hope to hear from u sOOn =)

Welcome to AllDeaf ;)

Feel free to post anywhere on this forum at your interest. Make yourself at home while you surf on this site. Don't hesitate to ask questions if you wish to do so.

:wave:

Ha ha ha, I figured so, but had to give you a bad time. But really, every once in a while I get strange looks when I thought I was just mouthing the words to songs in church or when I sing along to old closed captioned songs in movies.

:rofl: :rofl:

Hello and :welcome: JT to AD! Enjoy your way around the threads of interest. :)

Hey I'm from bergen county, hearing but know some ASL. I would love to meet up with deaf, HoH and hearing people from NJ or NYC. Let me know if you find anything exciting

JT's request is similar enough to my own that I didn't want to start another thread. I live in southeastern CT (New London), am studying ASL through the program at Northwest CT Community College, towards an Associate as an ASL interpreter. I am also a hearing lesbian (not that the two are related.:giggle:)

I know I might not have much luck, but I am trying to find Deaf events, etc in southeastern CT or Rhode Island, but I notice the threads here in this subforum related to CT do not get many replies. Are there any Deaf member of this forum in eastern CT or Rhode Island who I could make contact with?

I know btw how that must sound, so do forgive me please!

JT's request is similar enough to my own that I didn't want to start another thread. I live in southeastern CT (New London), am studying ASL through the program at Northwest CT Community College, towards an Associate as an ASL interpreter. I am also a hearing lesbian (not that the two are related.:giggle:)

I know I might not have much luck, but I am trying to find Deaf events, etc in southeastern CT or Rhode Island, but I notice the threads here in this subforum related to CT do not get many replies. Are there any Deaf member of this forum in eastern CT or Rhode Island who I could make contact with?

I know btw how that must sound, so do forgive me please!

(sorry I'm oh so delayed) -- I go to UCONN and I know there's the East Hardford Club of the Deaf that holds events every few weeks..mostly bingo and stuff. I just finished ASL 1, taking ASL 2 next semester, and I try to go there every chance I get.

I could get you more information if you want it..though I don't really know how far East Hartford would be for you (I'm originally from northern NJ so I don't know much about CT lol)

Hello everyone. I am also a ASL student. I have taken 1 class and will be taking the 2nd starting Jan 20. Bad thing is I don't know anyone I can practice with. I would love to find someone near me to practice with. I use to have deaf friends all through grade school and high school but have lost contact with all and even though my ASL instructor is deaf and is close to me I thought he would help but he doesn't even email back. So need someone near Britton, Milan, Adrian, Tecumseh or near them in Michigan.
Thanks

practice...practice...practice

Looking for someone to practice my ASL with in the Northern NJ area? Send me a message. Thanks, Ruby

Back