New ASL-enthusist! Hello all!

cayisgreat

Reaction score
Let's start off by spelling enthusiast wrong, that'll really get 'em! LOL

Hi everyone! You can call me Cay. I've been lurking on the site for a while and decided to join. I'm a bit of a polyglot- I love languages (Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, etc). I've loved ASL for ages, but never thought I could learn it (I tried before via a few groups on Myspace but nothing ever came of it, and the language exchange sites never had anyone active who knew it/was learning it)

I don't even know anyone who is deaf, so why bother? Is what my friends said. But that didn't stop me, and recently I decided to give it a try- I just couldn't help myself. I'm hearing, too, by the way. I'd love to take a college class on ASL sometime in the future, but for now I'm learning on my own online. I've got the alphabet down (though M and N still confuse me from time to time), and I know a few basic phrases (hello, how are you, are you deaf/hearing, etc), numbers 1-10, and other words, mostly baby-signs (family, some foods,etc). I take the languages I learn VERY seriously. I've had people tell me not to try, that it's too hard, or to at least learn SEE or something else (nothing against SEE!), but I'm intent on learning ASL, like it or lump it :P I really need to stop at the library and get a good ASL book.

The main reason I came here was to meet you great people! The other reason was because I feel like I'm learning well on my own, but there are a few signs that no matter how many times I see, I can't copy. Maybe because I can only find forward-facing videos, I don't know. I was hoping I could get a better explanation for the ones that confuse me, but I won't bore you guys with that right now though =D

Anyway I've got to be off right now, hope to meet and chat with all of you! Have a great day.

BTW love the signing smilies!! :P

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

welcome!

M and N are easy - just think of when you write and "m" it has 3 humps just like the 3 fingers - and "n" has 2 humps just like number of fingers.

Which signs are you having trouble with, which sites are you trying to learn from ?

welcome!

M and N are easy - just think of when you write and "m" it has 3 humps just like the 3 fingers - and "n" has 2 humps just like number of fingers.

Which signs are you having trouble with, which sites are you trying to learn from ?

I'm learning from aslpro, start-american-sign-language, and lifeprint, so far. Tomorrow, I'm going to be library to pick up a book and a tape or two if they have them.

Some of the signs I get confused are:

ALWAYS and FAN
CANDY and APPLE
PARTY and WALK
LEAVE and SLEEP (I've seen LEAVE signed with 2 hands and with one. Maybe I should use the second, so I don't confuse it with sleep? Even though it's hard to see how I could, since sleep is signed in front of the face with the eyes shutting, and leave isn't...i'm a strange one...always over-complicating things)

Just to name a few. I can usually catch myself, but candy and apple really confuse me sometimes.

And some I just can't figure out how to sign (the videos are all forward facing ME, and sometimes it's hard to see what's happening)

RIGHT (correct)
BROTHER & SISTER (I can't decide which is easier/used more)
JOG (no matter how many times I watch this, I can't really make out which fingers she's using and in what position. It's just too fast.)
SODA (Is it the middle or index finger that goes into the other hand? Again, I can't see, so it's difficult.)

Random question:

Why is MAN and WOMAN signed in one movement, whereas TEACHER is teach and PERSON together? Or SOCCER PLAYER, SOCCER, PLAY, PERSON. Is BUSINESS MAN signed business and man, or business and person? Is that a dumb question? Sorry! I'm just overly curious lol.

I have many more, but I'll wait to ask them, I don't want to bombard all of you lol.

I'm learning from aslpro, start-american-sign-language, and lifeprint, so far. Tomorrow, I'm going to be library to pick up a book and a tape or two if they have them.

Some of the signs I get confused are:

ALWAYS and FAN
CANDY and APPLE
PARTY and WALK
LEAVE and SLEEP (I've seen LEAVE signed with 2 hands and with one. Maybe I should use the second, so I don't confuse it with sleep? Even though it's hard to see how I could, since sleep is signed in front of the face with the eyes shutting, and leave isn't...i'm a strange one...always over-complicating things)

You're learning ASL right ?? The examples you've given are signs that aren't close to each other (look at ASLPro.com for examples of each)

APPLE is made with a modified "A" handshape - while CANDY shares the same handshape and movement as SUGAR (slightly altered placement)

And some I just can't figure out how to sign (the videos are all forward facing ME, and sometimes it's hard to see what's happening)

RIGHT (correct) = made with "D" handshapes tapping each other

BROTHER & SISTER (I can't decide which is easier/used more)
I'm not sure what you mean by "which one"?:
BROTHER is BOY+L Handshape on L Handshape (basically "RIGHT" but initailized with "L" instead)
SISTER is GIRL+L handshape on L Handshape

JOG (no matter how many times I watch this, I can't really make out which fingers she's using and in what position. It's just too fast.)
Uses modified hooked "L" handshapes

SODA (Is it the middle or index finger that goes into the other hand? Again, I can't see, so it's difficult.)
Typically it's the middle finger - but some people use the index finger (regional difference)

Random question:

Why is MAN and WOMAN signed in one movement, whereas TEACHER is teach and PERSON together? Or SOCCER PLAYER, SOCCER, PLAY, PERSON. Is BUSINESS MAN signed business and man, or business and person? Is that a dumb question? Sorry! I'm just overly curious lol.

Because MAN and WOMAN indicate a specific gender - while "PERSON" (or a person marker) is gender neutral. BUSINESS MAN would be signed that way if it was a MALE, BUSINESS WOMAN if it was a FEMALE and BUSINESS PERSON if the gender was undefined or intentionally neuter.

Honestly - it's effectively impossible to learn ASL - or any language on your own from videos, books etc ... if you really want to learn ASL, you need to sign up for "real life, in person" ASL classes taught by a qualified (preferable Deaf, or CODA) instructor. The way you are attempting to learn ASL almost always results in people learning signs incorrectly and then taking years to UNlearn the mistakes. I'd really recommend looking around and finding a GOOD ASL class in your area.

(BTW - I've been less than impressed with SIGNING SAVVY's website ... there are some MAJOR "glitches" (including signs that are just plain ODD) with a number of the signs and lessons I've seen (free registration) there.

The various websites aren't really designed (despite their claims) to teach you ASL - they function more like dictionaries, or resources "between classes" for those who are properly learning ASL from an instructor. I've yet to see a SINGLE person learn ASL online and be able to actually carry on a proper conversation in ASL with a real live person. (sorry)

Last edited:
@Anij

I get it now, (about man/woman) thanks! Makes sense. Can't believe I hadn't realized that before.

And I just looked it up- you're right. I was trying to learn the vocab from start-learning-sign-language. Apparently, it wasn't correct. I really shouldn't be surprised.

Don't be sorry, there's nothing to be sorry for! It's true. I'm looking into a college (a tech school, actually) but I'm supposed to be going for nursing and won't be able to take ASL because they only offer one thing (and ASL isn't even on the list). But I'd still like to find a class somewhere. I do plan to do that, eventually. (When a car and a good job falls into my lap! lol)

But in the mean time, I'm trying to make the best with what I have. I don't use Signing Savy. You're right, it's just a weird sites with weird signs. Every time I learn a new sign, I run it through all 3 of the websites to see which is correct, or which has variants. It still may not be right, but it has a better chance of being right.

That's another reason I came here. I've looked on language exchange websites for someone who knows ASL but found no one. I figured maybe I could find someone here that could help my build vocab or something, until I find/get money for a class. So at least it's keeping me interested, you know?

How do you feel about learning via books or tapes? Are there any you'd recc? I really want to make the most of my free time.

Anij is correct that you have to learn from a live ASL teacher. This is the good advice of looking for a ASL class like maybe at the community college or even talk to the Hearing Society which will provide sign language lessons or where ever you can find right in your community in your area. If you try to sign from a book or website, then you will not sign properly the right way to sign. So go to a live ASL teacher and a Live students who is eager to learn ASL. Have fun looking for the right place to learn. :thumb:

Anij is correct that you have to learn from a live ASL teacher. This is the good advice of looking for a ASL class like maybe at the community college or even talk to the Hearing Society which will provide sign language lessons or where ever you can find right in your community in your area. If you try to sign from a book or website, then you will not sign properly the right way to sign. So go to a live ASL teacher and a Live students who is eager to learn ASL. Have fun looking for the right place to learn. :thumb:

Once I get my license, I'm going to look around for a class. Heck I might even look now, before I get it lol. Thanks, you guys are so nice:aw: When i was learning Chinese and made mistakes, people ripped my head off :laugh2:

Hm I looked around and couldn't find a class. Maybe I should try a phone book?

I'm not sure where you're located, - but considered calling/emailing schools for the Hoh/Deaf in your area, Deaf Cultural centres (if you have one), disability services/organizations, interpreter services or Audiologists they should be able to help you out.

If you feel comfortable posting your location we might be able to help further.

As for websites - for vocabulary, phrases and over all layout, I'd strongly recommend using aslpro.com as it is the most consistent, well done site (over all) that I've found (and is free). When I was in seminary/theological college my interpreters and myself actually would refer to that site (& a few others) for theological (seminary level) signs for highly specific concepts/"words" etc.

For Dictionaries the two best I've found are:
[ame="http://www.amazon.ca/Websters-Unabridged-American-Language-Dictionary/dp/0375426167/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1293822606&sr=1-6"]Random House Webster's Unabridged American Sign Language Dictionary by Elaine Costello Ph.D.[/ame] *make sure you get the UNABRIDGED version*

And if you are in Canada:
The Canadian Dictionary of ASL
by Charmaine Letourneau C.M., Carole Sue Bailey & Kathy Dolby

hope that helps - if you have any specific questions feel free to post here, or PM me (one you have enough posts to be able to do so)

BTW - I'd be interested in the link to the site you were using if you could post it - if it's http://www.start-american-sign-language.com personally (as someone fluent in ASL) I really don't care for the way that a number of the signs are formed at all.

Last edited:
Anij what he means by different signs for "brother" and "sister" is the sign you described and the sign where you sign "boy" and "same". I think the sign is same :hmm: You sign boy and bring you index fingers together. I've seen both used online, but I use the sign you described.

Here in Nevada they have Deaf events at our local borders on Mondays and Wednesdays. Look up "Deaf events in (Insert your city here)" and hopefully something shows up like silent dinners, Deaf coffee or local schools. Hope this helps, I'm also learning from Books and DVDs. Not getting very far but with my work schedule its all I can manage at the moment :D

I'm not sure where you're located, - but considered calling/emailing schools for the Hoh/Deaf in your area, Deaf Cultural centres (if you have one), disability services/organizations, interpreter services or Audiologists they should be able to help you out.

If you feel comfortable posting your location we might be able to help further.

As for websites - for vocabulary, phrases and over all layout, I'd strongly recommend using aslpro.com as it is the most consistent, well done site (over all) that I've found (and is free). When I was in seminary/theological college my interpreters and myself actually would refer to that site (& a few others) for theological (seminary level) signs for highly specific concepts/"words" etc.

For Dictionaries the two best I've found are:
Random House Webster's Unabridged American Sign Language Dictionary by Elaine Costello Ph.D. *make sure you get the UNABRIDGED version*

And if you are in Canada:
The Canadian Dictionary of ASL
by Charmaine Letourneau C.M., Carole Sue Bailey & Kathy Dolby

hope that helps - if you have any specific questions feel free to post here, or PM me (one you have enough posts to be able to do so)

BTW - I'd be interested in the link to the site you were using if you could post it - if it's http://www.start-american-sign-language.com personally (as someone fluent in ASL) I really don't care for the way that a number of the signs are formed at all.

I live in Michigan. I've been looking but still haven't found anything yet. Sort of upset over that. :( There must be deaf people/a deaf community in Michigan! I even asked my sister if they offered it at her HS (they offer Mandarin, so why not? I'm sure there are more deaf than Mandarin-speaking here, js)...

I'll keep looking, though. I might just be overlooking them entirely I've never been good at finding things lol.

as for aslpro, thank you, I will. I've also picked up the Gallaudet Survival guide to signing, and I've cross checked it with aslpro, only a few signs I'm not sure on so was hoping to meet someone on Skype sometime and ask. I will definitely look into getting the unabridged version, thank you!

As for the website, yes, it was the start-learning-sign-language one. That's really too bad, I'm kind of bummed- I had almost half of the lessons memorized! Oh well. I'd rather re-learn the correct ones.

Anij what he means by different signs for "brother" and "sister" is the sign you described and the sign where you sign "boy" and "same". I think the sign is same :hmm: You sign boy and bring you index fingers together. I've seen both used online, but I use the sign you described.

Here in Nevada they have Deaf events at our local borders on Mondays and Wednesdays. Look up "Deaf events in (Insert your city here)" and hopefully something shows up like silent dinners, Deaf coffee or local schools. Hope this helps, I'm also learning from Books and DVDs. Not getting very far but with my work schedule its all I can manage at the moment :D

Yes that's exactly what I meant, I apologize for not being more specific. I'll do that, thanks!

Let's start off by spelling enthusiast wrong, that'll really get 'em! LOL

Hi everyone! You can call me Cay. I've been lurking on the site for a while and decided to join. I'm a bit of a polyglot- I love languages (Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, etc). I've loved ASL for ages, but never thought I could learn it (I tried before via a few groups on Myspace but nothing ever came of it, and the language exchange sites never had anyone active who knew it/was learning it)

I don't even know anyone who is deaf, so why bother? Is what my friends said. But that didn't stop me, and recently I decided to give it a try- I just couldn't help myself. I'm hearing, too, by the way. I'd love to take a college class on ASL sometime in the future, but for now I'm learning on my own online. I've got the alphabet down (though M and N still confuse me from time to time), and I know a few basic phrases (hello, how are you, are you deaf/hearing, etc), numbers 1-10, and other words, mostly baby-signs (family, some foods,etc). I take the languages I learn VERY seriously. I've had people tell me not to try, that it's too hard, or to at least learn SEE or something else (nothing against SEE!), but I'm intent on learning ASL, like it or lump it :P I really need to stop at the library and get a good ASL book.

The main reason I came here was to meet you great people! The other reason was because I feel like I'm learning well on my own, but there are a few signs that no matter how many times I see, I can't copy. Maybe because I can only find forward-facing videos, I don't know. I was hoping I could get a better explanation for the ones that confuse me, but I won't bore you guys with that right now though =D

Anyway I've got to be off right now, hope to meet and chat with all of you! Have a great day.

BTW love the signing smilies!! :P

i'm new to ASL as well. i picked up signing for dummies and it focuses on ASL. so far it's really interesting and i like how it is laid out. where are you from? maybe we could set up a practice chat or something

@Impegs

sounds good, though I'm a super-duper beginner. I've basically been thrown back to the beginning. Kinda ticked off about it, but hey, worse things have happened. I'm doing a major cleaning spree in my room so it looks semi-presentable whenever I go on Skype next. My Skype is over there <-- or I can get onto MSN if you prefer. I have the messenger, but forgot my email so I just have to make a new one right quick.

I'm from Michigan, and I'm going to see if I can preview that book online. I was actually going to buy it, but couldn't make my mind up. Anyway, talk to you soon! GL!

@Impegs

sounds good, though I'm a super-duper beginner. I've basically been thrown back to the beginning. Kinda ticked off about it, but hey, worse things have happened. I'm doing a major cleaning spree in my room so it looks semi-presentable whenever I go on Skype next. My Skype is over there <-- or I can get onto MSN if you prefer. I have the messenger, but forgot my email so I just have to make a new one right quick.

I'm from Michigan, and I'm going to see if I can preview that book online. I was actually going to buy it, but couldn't make my mind up. Anyway, talk to you soon! GL!

i'm super new too...3 days in, but it might be nice to figure things out together and just generally helping each other. i'm on msn messenger...lpmegs..just let me know when you want to start :)

All right, I added you. cayislame. I've got to finish cleaning up the room a bit and hop in the shower, but I should be free after that.

Back