Netflix captions on Android devices

CuriouslyMute

Reaction score
I was looking around for a fix for an unrelated issue with my Android device and I came scross this....
[APP][Netflix V2.1.2] Netflix Rotation Enabled App - Black /Subtitle Size Fix for TV - xda-developers

If you scroll down to the bottom of the first post there is a black colored version of the Netflix app. Besides no longer being red, it's supposed to have larger subtitles. More noticably, it allows you to watch with the phone vertical (portrait mode). When you do this, the picture shrinks and the yellow subtitles end up in the black space below the video, making them much easier to read.

I'm not sure how helpful this might be, but decided it was worth mentioning.

Screenshots_2013-09-09-21-50-52_zpse3113524.png

A few notes before you go download it.
1 - This is a modified copy of Netflix. While this doesn't void any warrenties, it may or may not work as smoothly as the official app. I've run it, seems to run nice and stable. I did notice that the "better captions" had different results on different devices. My very large screen Note 2 wasn't much bigger, but another Android devices saw more impriovement. In either case, portrait mode with the yellow on black was easy to read on either device.

2 - You will need to enable "Install from Unknown Sources" on your Android. It's the settings menu under "Security". If you are going to try the app, I suggest turning off unknown sources after you install the app. I've scanned this file, came up virus free. I've also had no issues with software from the XDA forums. However, this is still at your own risk.

3 - If you use Chromecast, this copy of Netflix will not support Chromecast output.

4- If you want to go back to the offical Netflix app, simply uninstall this one like any other app and re-install Netflix from the Play Store.

5 - If you just like the idea of watching Netflix in portrait mode with the yellow on black subtitles, the same effect can be achieved with the official Netflix app and an app called "Ultimate Rotation" found in the app store. Enable "Force auto", and watch Netflix in portrait. The subtitles will still land on the solid black area.

Last edited:
Back