Needed to vent frustration to people who understand

why should we always be the ones to provide our own sign. If he want a certain item then show me. Hay I do my dog the same way and she goes right to it.. throw him off key say next.. It would make him look at you. Oh I didnt hear you say anything.. what do you need..You could try signing to him.. what you need..

Would it be possible to print pictures of the cigarettes packs onto a sheet of paper and let him point to what he wants? Keep the sheet laminated for other customers you may not fully understand. Just a thought. Dont know if this would help, but it may be worth a try.
Excellent suggestion. I have difficulty on the buying end with people who presumably have good hearing.

"Two boxes of tube cut gambler tubes, king, please."

"What?"

"Tubes, two boxes, the gold and black boxes-- ahh, right down there."

"Here?"

"No, one shelf down."

"Here?"

"Yes, that's it......No, I wanted two boxes!"

Sheesh!!

Let him keep talking under his breath or turning way, just reach and grab anything within reach and put it up and ring it up, its wrong? oh ok you have to void it, call the manager up and do it all over again, eventually he will learn. You can teach an old dog new tricks...really !
Have fun while pissing him off.

Hell just keep throwing up a different box of condoms, maybe he will go elsewhere out of embarrassement?
and be loud...

A FAMILY pack of Trojans, extra large or extra small? You look extra small? oh No Trojans?
I need a void on register 1, take off condoms...
A 12 pack of Durex colors and flavors? No?
Damnit, another void, need single color condoms no lube....spermicide....wait
He said he's gonna bare back it and sue us for the cost of the pregnacy....lol

Gas stations have cameras, right? Try seeing what car the customer drives. Then you can make fun of that too :).

Also, I don't smoke so I don't know anything, but maybe you would be able to guess what they want. See, customer is interested in this type of cigarette. Sure, they'll probably want that brand over there too? Not every gas station attendants know much about different cigarettes. Why would they want to expecially with the pay rate.

Hell just keep throwing up a different box of condoms, maybe he will go elsewhere out of embarrassement?
and be loud...

A FAMILY pack of Trojans, extra large or extra small? You look extra small? oh No Trojans?

oh yeah ----Thats exactly what I would do to a rude mumbler. If he gets upset - I just say you know.... I am deaf so quit mumbling. I need to see your lips or you can just write what you want as you are terrible at speaking. :giggle: If your gas station has alot of papers they throw out -0 just cut them up into 4s and use that as scrap paper to write on.

I dont pronounce my words correctly, you know the old saying: say it as it spelled... well, I sound like I have an accent, certain words are close but off, for example:
Stamina I pronounce like Stay-men-a.... you yeah, imagine people trying to put together what I just said....lol
In grade school I was put in speach theraphy because I couldnt hear or distinguish between sounds like b,c,d,t,k,s,...you know what I mean, cant hear the sounds. So in Highschool they brought in a deaf interpeter who was also deaf, after interviewing me with the counselor she looked at her and said: I cannot understand anything he says.
The counselor was dumbfounded, as the interpeter continued to say I do not move my lips properly since I cannot pronounce the sounds. so that was the end of that too. They had no clue what to do with me. lol

And to make matters worst, I was in an accident when I split my face open from my forehead to my chit (11-1/2" lacuration to my face) split through both lips, so now my lips are stiffer than before and cannot wistle anymore. so that dont help either.

Wirelessly posted

I know what you mean. Sometimes , it hard to understand text messages. You can't see the perdón face to face to see body language etc..

There is one thing I don't understand is that you were not using the paper and pen for him to write it down on what he wanted to buy from you. Trying to read lip was bad enough when he was mumbling and you had to ask him to repeat over again but still not being able to understand what he was trying to say to you. You never mention one word about using the paper and pen to get across what the only one customer was trying to say.

What did he mean when he was rudely remarked that "your supposed inability to read" which mean that he expect you to read his lips or he was not writing properly on the paper that you could not read his handwriting? Anyway, that is not bad when you only have one rude customer to put up with. If you are fine with other customers, then you are okay. Just remember to use paper and pen to let that person know that you did not understand what the person say because you are hard of hearing. It is not the same like normal hearing. **sigh**

baah just saw your reply to this and am super late replying to you. the supposed inability to read comment was that he had said camel platinum, I heard camel black even with the several times i asked him to repeat himself i kept hearing camel black which there is no such thing, so i finally gave up on trying to ask him what he wanted and just turned to try to find them on the wall of cigarettes, after looking my boss said oh they're under this flap and pulled down the flap and pointed towards the camel platinum and I said Camel Platinum? to the customer and he said that's what it says isn't it. I turned back around and said, sorry I'm new here and he said "well you can be new all you want but reading doesn't change" He comes in all the time and it always sounds to me like he says camel black, but now i know what he wants. Even after dropping in a few days later that I wear HAs he still hasn't been more polite or spoke up.

It was such a relief though one day when a deaf customer came into to work. He was originally in my co workers line and i had nobody in mine and he came over to mine, he not knowing that I sign started speaking quietly which of course i couldn't hear so i signed back to him and we completed the transaction. It was refreshing.

Wirelessly posted

Alaura, I have the same issues at times but it is with peoples names. Many of them I have learnned their names. If I do not understand their name and DOB I simply give them a pen and paper. Sure some of them roll their eyes at me. I just apologise and tell them I want to make sure I give them the right medication. Some that are out right rude, and feel like we should automatically know what they want or they just simply feel like crap and do not want to deal with anymore than they have to. Sure, it bothers me at times, but after observing my hearing co workers with the same people...they are just plain rude and I realized it is not just me and my deafness. It is them!! You just can not please everyone.

OMG you're giving me flashbacks!! I worked at a Mobil for 6 years. When I first started my left ear was deaf but my right was good. Few years into it I started losing hearing in my right, really fast. For almost a year, before I got has, I only ran the register if someone was on a cig or potty break, or if powerball got huge, we always got slammed then.

But differentiating Marlboros, Pall Malls, and Parlaiments were a nightmare. The amount of syllables, mostly the same consonants. ugh, but I'm sure you've noticed that you get a lot of regulars and start remembering what everybody gets, so it's a little easier. A little.

and be loud...

:laugh2: :laugh2:

OMG you're giving me flashbacks!! I worked at a Mobil for 6 years. When I first started my left ear was deaf but my right was good. Few years into it I started losing hearing in my right, really fast. For almost a year, before I got has, I only ran the register if someone was on a cig or potty break, or if powerball got huge, we always got slammed then.

But differentiating Marlboros, Pall Malls, and Parlaiments were a nightmare. The amount of syllables, mostly the same consonants. ugh, but I'm sure you've noticed that you get a lot of regulars and start remembering what everybody gets, so it's a little easier. A little.

It's so frustrating right?! I had some guy the other day, and this really has nothing to do with being HOH just the guy was an inconsiderate a hole but he wouldn't get off his cell phone to tell me what he wanted. He threw money on the counter and gestured wildly at the 8 pumps and got irritated when I didn't know which of the 8 pumps he was referring to. I just wanted to be like Ok dude get the hell off you phone for long enough to let me know which pump you're on!

People at the bank are like this..I get customers who get mad at me when I ask them to repeat themselves and sometimes I'll say I'm deaf and then they're like oh sorry. I had a customer get mad at me once and started raising his voice and told me maybe I should listen better after I asked for a repeat and I said well maybe if I wasn't deaf I wouldn't have a problem with my listening skills. My co-worker had a customer ask if SHE needed hearing aids cuz he kept mumbling and she asked for a repeat a few times (it can also get loud in the bank) ...I was like I WISH I got that customer just so I could make him feel like POO.

When I worked at the bar I had a guy get mad that I asked him to repeat a few times..then I said sorry I'm deaf. He responded with, "Wow that's pretty rude of you to pretend to be deaf" so I put my serving tray down and pulled out my hearing aids and his jaw dropped...needless to say I made over 100 bucks in tips off that guy alone that night:)

Apparently young attractive girls aren't deaf now a days...go figure:roll:

People at the bank are like this..I get customers who get mad at me when I ask them to repeat themselves and sometimes I'll say I'm deaf and then they're like oh sorry. I had a customer get mad at me once and started raising his voice and told me maybe I should listen better after I asked for a repeat and I said well maybe if I wasn't deaf I wouldn't have a problem with my listening skills. My co-worker had a customer ask if SHE needed hearing aids cuz he kept mumbling and she asked for a repeat a few times (it can also get loud in the bank) ...I was like I WISH I got that customer just so I could make him feel like POO.

When I worked at the bar I had a guy get mad that I asked him to repeat a few times..then I said sorry I'm deaf. He responded with, "Wow that's pretty rude of you to pretend to be deaf" so I put my serving tray down and pulled out my hearing aids and his jaw dropped...needless to say I made over 100 bucks in tips off that guy alone that night:)

Apparently young attractive girls aren't deaf now a days...go figure:roll:

Nice! Lol maybe that's what I should do to this guy, I'll just pull my hearing aids out. The one time I mentioned them, my co worker was in the back and making a lot of noise so my HAs were picking those noises up more than the guy and I told him that and he said, Oh sorry I'll speak louder next time, but he hasn't.

I know how you feel, I work with people.. I always have notebook with me. I tell them to write what they want to say or to speak with me if I cant understand since I don't read lips that well.

and be loud...

I like this one.. but then I can 't say it right either. my husbands says I am a sounthern gale with a mouth full of marbles..

Back