need help my son with hearing aids

malar

Reaction score
I just found my son with profound hearing loss a month ago who is 1 year 9 months old, started using the hearing aid from the day 3, wearing it for past 1 month, can see improvement like trying to say wat we say and gives lots of different sounds, don't know whether this aid itself will help my kid for his speech development or need to go for CI, or whether to go for a better hearing aids. He is now using siemens Lotus SP 23 digital model. Need suggestions for decision making.

well I grew up with Siemens when I was around his age but I was only 2 year, 6 months of age :)
if the Lotus is not working for your kid, I suggest the Nadia (either SP or UP *ultrapower*)
or Safari SP (super powered version of Safari/Chilli)

My sister got a ci when she was 4, and her (before she got the cochlear implant) speech/vocab. was bad. I think it was the level of a 2 yr old...
So now she's nine and she is the second brightest in her class (and let me tell you thats pretty intelligent)!
If your ever worried about your kiddo fitting in with others, like my mother was, please don't. All this kid needs is pure love and confidence!

I just found my son with profound hearing loss a month ago who is 1 year 9 months old, started using the hearing aid from the day 3, wearing it for past 1 month, can see improvement like trying to say wat we say and gives lots of different sounds, don't know whether this aid itself will help my kid for his speech development or need to go for CI, or whether to go for a better hearing aids. He is now using siemens Lotus SP 23 digital model. Need suggestions for decision making.

I would never claim to be a pro or presume to know what is right for you and your child, but I think the best thing to do is to make sure you have a very good audiologist, speech therapist (if you are going for an oral route), and possibly a teacher for the deaf to help with sign language. Because even if your child does develop speech it is good for him to have a good base in any language and sign language is a valid first language. Some people will tell you that oral speech can be slowed by signing that is a LIE. Children can become really frustrated when trying to learn how to talk when we can't understand them but signing is easier, so a child can sign words a lot quicker than saying them.

Good luck on whatever path you choose, and the most important thing is for you to love accept and nurture your child and the rest will come.

Welcome to AD :)

I would never claim to be a pro or presume to know what is right for you and your child, but I think the best thing to do is to make sure you have a very good audiologist, speech therapist (if you are going for an oral route), and possibly a teacher for the deaf to help with sign language. Because even if your child does develop speech it is good for him to have a good base in any language and sign language is a valid first language. Some people will tell you that oral speech can be slowed by signing that is a LIE. Children can become really frustrated when trying to learn how to talk when we can't understand them but signing is easier, so a child can sign words a lot quicker than saying them.

Good luck on whatever path you choose, and the most important thing is for you to love accept and nurture your child and the rest will come.

Welcome to AD :)

and in addition, if you go the oral route, look into oral schools rather then mainstreaming. Mainstreaming SUCKS!

Back