Need a good phone and carrier (?) to speak to deaf mother in UK

Richard93102

Reaction score
Hi,
I've been using a cordless phone (2.4 GHz) when I speak to my mother in the UK.
She has a good quality phone there, with an amplifier.
But the quality/clarity of my voice doesn't come accross well to anyone in the UK (not just my mother).
I'm not sure whether things could be improved with me buying a better phone here in the US... (I recently bought a basic corded phone, but it hasn't helped).

And/or would it be better using another phone company?

(I currently use one of those phone card long distance companies, but I've tried a couple, and AT&T tell me it wouldn't be clearer reception using them).

Any suggestions?
Many thanks,
Richard

If she has access to a tty and lives in the UK, you should call her using typetalk relay svc. it is an 0800 number, but i'm not sure what that number is. just google typetalk uk relay service and the number should come up. They also offer STS too. Or you can contact your telephone company and report the problem. Also try adjusting the transmit volume on your telephone.

Even if Richards mother got a TTD/TTY. He will be paying more for his call to his mother, It takes more time to use TTY/TTD. From what I read it's not his mother not to be able to hear but his phone line.
He need report to his phone carrier!Have them fix it or look into it.

LMM

Thanks for the replies :)
The phone company tell me the line is fine.
And (thankfully) my mother isn't too deaf, so we don't need text phone... just a good quality phone and/or carrier.
Any other suggestions?
What do businesses use, for instance, when they're making international calls and need high quality?

Back